Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Given x1000 news is everywhere.....but nonchalance prevails  (Read 15981 times)

Description:

Offline Thorham

• Show only replies by Thorham
Re: Given x1000 news is everywhere.....but nonchalance prevails
« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2010, 01:56:25 AM »
Quote from: Amiga_Nut;565679
what is it people would really want from a new machine bearing the Amiga logo on it?
That the machine is actually something like an Amiga, and not just a bunch of off the shelf parts :madashell:

Offline runequester

• It\'s Amiga time!
    • Show only replies by runequester
« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2010, 02:07:32 AM »
Quote from: TheBilgeRat;565689
This is what I think as well.  Heck- I even liked System 7 back in the day.  Most people don't need anything more than a Web interface with a few games to tide them over on the bus, plane, toilet, etc.  With Google Docs you can do easily 80-90 percent of your word processing needs, and then take them to kinkos to print or send them to internet capable printer.  All it has to do is stream A/V content, play A/V content locally stored, and update twitter/faceyspace/etc and its a win.

so basically an amped up cell phone that you'd connect to a monitor if need be :)

Offline redrumloa

• Original Omega User
    • Show only replies by redrumloa
« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2010, 02:31:19 AM »
Quote from: orb85750;565714
Agreed.  I'll have to wait for the X1000CR.

:roflmao:

*THAT* gave me a laugh! Thanks!
Someone has to state the obvious and that someone is me!

Offline redrumloa

• Original Omega User
    • Show only replies by redrumloa
« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2010, 02:33:26 AM »
Quote from: Tomas;565722
It is definitely out of my price range as well.
But i think it is clearly meets the budget of some amigans considering the prices classic systems go for at ebay.

The super high prices of certain retro items on eBay are for hard core collectors. The number of these collectors are in the 10's...
Someone has to state the obvious and that someone is me!

Offline Iggy

• Show only replies by Iggy
« Reply #18 on: June 20, 2010, 04:57:50 AM »
Again Red's right.

I'd love to see this all climb out of the hobbyist niche its in, but the competition's just got too many resources.

I  get a big kick out of MorphOS hanging in there, and I welcome the new AmigaOS4 users and the new hardware, but I just don't know if its likely that Amiga hoobyist are ever like to see anything reasonably competitive.
"Not making any hard and fast rules means that the moderators can use their good judgment in moderation, and we think the results speak for themselves." - Amiga.org, terms of service

"You, got to stem the evil tide, and keep it on the the inside" - Rogers Waters

"God was never on your side" - Lemmy

Amiga! "Our appeal has become more selective"

Offline schlubadub

• Show only replies by schlubadub
« Reply #19 on: June 20, 2010, 05:59:42 AM »
Quote from: the_leander;565725
Today however it is hopelessly out-gunned as a serious system (the price of a full X1000 setup puts you firmly into gaming laptop and serious workstation territory) and incredibly hard to justify as a hobby machine, even if we were in good times.

I agree, for about AU$700 less money I can get a really sweet gaming PC: i7 930 (quad-core), GTX470, 6 GB DDR3, 500GB HDD etc. I don't really see what the X1000 is bringing to the table for that price...

Offline TheBilgeRat

• Show only replies by TheBilgeRat
« Reply #20 on: June 20, 2010, 06:06:08 AM »
Sigh-this is sadly true.  I mentioned in the OS4 thread the cost of a branded workstation from HP in the two grand region with 12GB ram standard and 192Gb potential DDR3 ram.  That is absolutely insane power.

Offline DAX

• Show only replies by DAX
« Reply #21 on: June 20, 2010, 11:10:30 AM »
@The BilgeRat
But you can drive similar comparisons of that same HP workstation with iMacs or $5000 Alienware machines, where if you buy the same pieces yourself, you can get the same specs at half the price (I could build up another godzillion comparisons) still they don't run AmigaOS do they?
This is a machine for AmigaOS those interested will buy it, those not interested will not (no need for apple to orange comparisons).
Talking about the price, it is not known yet, I saw much fuss done for a post made by user Tommo1975 but nobody cared for user djrikki who in the very same thread says he heard "less than €1500" and with all THAT CONFUSION where everybody is saying they couldn't clearly hear a thing, it's quite understandable.
Anyway, the X1000 is aimed at developers and power-users according to A-Eon, meaning they don't plan any mass market sales for now ;).

Offline dammy

• Show only replies by dammy
« Reply #22 on: June 20, 2010, 12:21:52 PM »
Quote from: runequester;565729
so basically an amped up cell phone that you'd connect to a monitor if need be :)

You should be seeing dual core 2.5GHz ARM cellphones by the end of the year that can encode/decode 1080P.  I think it can edit as well.  If you look at http://www.slate.com/id/2257495/pagenum/all desktop sales do not look too impressive since laptops exceeded desktop sales last year.  It's about being mobile now, desktops are for the gamers and for heavy users.
Dammy

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Arix-OS/414578091930728
Unless otherwise noted, I speak only for myself.

Offline Amiga_NutTopic starter

• Show only replies by Amiga_Nut
« Reply #23 on: June 20, 2010, 12:26:17 PM »
Very true. Many moons ago I built a machine for my nephew to take to university with him, and as his course was centred around 3D modelling and ray tracing packages it was a monster of a machine.We started out with the specs of the highest priced Commodore gaming PC at the time and then sourced quality components of identical specification. Result was a machine of identical power for half the cost.

Some people have stated that a console quality game equalling machine wouldn't sell, but I suspect if you could buy a computer that did everything a PS3 does for £500 it would sell. Look at the outcry from people when Sony removed the 'Other OS' option from the boot options in the bios updates. 100,000s of people went to the trouble of forcing Ubuntu onto PS3 or YD Linux distro officially sanctioned for PS3 use. It met their needs, a box that played every type of cutting edge media and still did all the usual rubbish people do on a cheap PC for less than the cost of a gaming rig, the top end ATI/Nvidia cards cost more than a PS3 alone.

However to be revolutionary you need to start with revolutionary designs.....yes Agnus/Paula/Denise are a dead concept in traditional custom chip terms for 2010 computers but there is no reason why CELL and OS4 could not work together with minimal tweaking by Hyperion, and remember the PS3 GPU is actually inferior to a 7900GS in some Dell laptops like the Inspiron 9400 series from 2007. How hard is it to outsource the design of a CELL motherboard with a middling GPU and some DDR3 RAM? IBM is only too happy to help companies when asked.

You can still be clever today, without trying to out do what Nvidia/ATI do in their labs. When building a new Amiga you have to apply as much lateral thinking as world class race car designers finding cunning ways to save weight/increase horsepower/create more grip & aero efficiency. Starting with the 2007 vintage CELL CPU is a good start, or Xenon  both are essentially the final evolution of PPC.

Or a G5 based machine for around £750 in a classy looking case would also do.

Depends what people want. It's just that as far as OS4 goes, hardware purchasers are getting seriously little bang for their buck I think. The problem is not traditional custom chips, it's the lack of truly ground breaking engineering ideas.

Offline dammy

« Reply #24 on: June 20, 2010, 12:45:29 PM »
Quote from: DAX;565805
@The BilgeRat
But you can drive similar comparisons of that same HP workstation with iMacs or $5000 Alienware machines, where if you buy the same pieces yourself, you can get the same specs at half the price (I could build up another godzillion comparisons) still they don't run AmigaOS do they?

Sure they do, UAE or AROS.  Need to run that old game, it's there right now and for zero costs.  

This is a machine for AmigaOS those interested will buy it, those not interested will not (no need for apple to orange comparisons).

By that notion, can we then fairly point out how gimped that platform is for not offering mobile solutions either like the other platforms?  I realize your trying to spin a huge negative by sweeping it under the rug, but it's not going away.  North of 1500 GBP is not economically sustainable.

Talking about the price, it is not known yet, I saw much fuss done for a post made by user Tommo1975 but nobody cared for user djrikki who in the very same thread says he heard "less than €1500" and with all THAT CONFUSION where everybody is saying they couldn't clearly hear a thing, it's quite understandable.

Blame A-EON for not putting the information up on their web site.  Their marketing director needs to be fired.

Anyway, the X1000 is aimed at developers and power-users according to A-Eon, meaning they don't plan any mass market sales for now ;).

It's a Dev board, like I got roasted on AWN for saying and I was proven correct.  Worse yet OS4 remains 32 bit and no SMP and very limited MP.   My estimates for total sale units for the first 12 months will stand at  in the 200s or 300s.  I hope for Trevor's sake I'm proven wrong on this, but I sincerely doubt it.
Dammy

Offline DAX

« Reply #25 on: June 20, 2010, 01:11:44 PM »
Double :(
« Last Edit: June 20, 2010, 01:14:42 PM by DAX »

Offline DAX

« Reply #26 on: June 20, 2010, 01:14:07 PM »
about Aros/WinUAE, the first is not very usable at the moment (I have icaros desktop worry not), and the second does not empower its users at doing modern stuff on Amiga.

I won't start talking about modern  browsing, FLASH, what  kind of 3D is possible today etc. etc. (and don't start with "i  do that in windows" silly argument, the point is doing that ON AMIGA) I  will instead point your attention to the fact that after porting OS4.1  to the X1000, they will start modernizing the OS in order to take  advantage of it.

Yes we all have our estimates, but they said they will look at utilizing  what's on offer when the OS port is done so that's all there is to it  for now.
I believe that there is people here that is trying to push into everyone  else throat that this was going to be an A500 MAINSTREAM cheap revolution, and that they  failed to deliver, however this was never announced as such (machine for devs and Power users they said).
They are not gonna fail because there are enough AmigaOS users  interested and that's the only crowd this machine is aimed at at the  moment.

When the OS will be more mature and if the sales of the X1000 will go as  planned with the above indicated crowd, they might decide to do  something a little more "mainstream" ("Amiga mainstream" not "mainstream"  in general) probably a couple of years from now.

ChuckT

« Reply #27 on: June 20, 2010, 01:39:49 PM »
Quote from: Manu;565682
I continue my own route, thanks. When AmigaOS is ready for the masses not the classes I'll be there.

I can't find a reasonable answer to your question, sorry. Good luck to all Amigans !

It looked like a relatively empty box and for $2225 I would expect some neon lights inside the case or something that made it look like Alienware but Alienware is already a niche market.  If they could bring down the price then they might have something but it isn't ever going to happen for me.  I remember in 1987 how people said the regular Amiga was too expensive for them to consider.  Remember there are no reviews and no demos running on the machine so far and I don't know what the machine can and can't do.  It isn't even advertised on Amigakit for sale yet.

It is really the end of the road for some people when a product like this disappoints.  I'm guessing that the SAMS and possible Natami will be more competitively priced.  Try selling the new machine to your friends and say they need $2225.  It is like inviting your friends to a tupperware party and telling them to buy a $100 bowl to support you; people quit because you just can't ask for that.

Offline DAX

« Reply #28 on: June 20, 2010, 01:48:05 PM »
It is really the end of the road for some people when a product like  this disappoints.  
Not exactly, the "product" is not finished yet, it was brought there to show its tangible existence.
At any rate it only managed to disappoint other "factions" followers, which was to be expected.

Offline dammy

« Reply #29 from previous page: June 20, 2010, 02:07:28 PM »
Quote from: DAX;565818
about Aros/WinUAE, the first is not very usable at the moment (I have icaros desktop worry not), and the second does not empower its users at doing modern stuff on Amiga.

I wouldn't be making too many comparisons in regards to usability of OS4 running on a A1X1K right now vs Icaros Distro. ;-)  Second does empower what the vast majority of "amiga" users want, to play their old games.

I won't start talking about modern  browsing, FLASH, what  kind of 3D is possible today etc. etc. (and don't start with "i  do that in windows" silly argument, the point is doing that ON AMIGA) I  will instead point your attention to the fact that after porting OS4.1  to the X1000, they will start modernizing the OS in order to take  advantage of it.

Since it took, what, six years to port AOS to PPC, I wouldn't be holding my breath for a 64 bit, SMP, full MP OS4 in the near future.  Does OS4 currently have 2D/3D drivers?
Dammy