Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: mac and pc sucks!!!!  (Read 16168 times)

Description:

Offline Hell Labs

• Show only replies by Hell Labs
Re: mac and pc sucks!!!!
« Reply #29 on: April 09, 2010, 06:37:04 PM »
We've got a Wii downstairs and have done since christmas. It got turned on once to make sure it works and that was it. There's nothing interesting out there for it. We considered the PS3 too, but we already have a megadrive stand and didn't need another.
A1200 Computer Combat. OS3.0. No accelerator, no fastram, mouse soon. And ebaying it.

Offline koshman

• Show only replies by koshman
« Reply #30 on: April 09, 2010, 06:42:05 PM »
@ runequester: So 2 nice 3D games run well on Linux, big deal. I use Linux as my primary OS, but there's just no question that if you're a hardcore gamer the only OS for you is Win.
It's the same story with consoles - cheap and easy, they just work - I like them and prefer them to PC gaming, but show me one serious FPS gamer who competes online with a gamepad...
- Radim

A600 - 68020/33, 10MB RAM, 3.1, 2GB SD

Offline ElPolloDiabl

• Show only replies by ElPolloDiabl
« Reply #31 on: April 09, 2010, 07:42:23 PM »
OpenGL got updated recently to match Direct X. Hopefully that will mean ports to Linux. The only way I'm going to run Windows 7 is on virtual machine under Linux and I'll probably just download a pirated version so I'm not rewarding Microsoft for sub par effort.
Go Go Gadget Signature!

Offline runequester

• It\'s Amiga time!
    • Show only replies by runequester
« Reply #32 on: April 09, 2010, 10:01:33 PM »
Quote from: koshman;552539
@ runequester: So 2 nice 3D games run well on Linux, big deal. I use Linux as my primary OS, but there's just no question that if you're a hardcore gamer the only OS for you is Win.
It's the same story with consoles - cheap and easy, they just work - I like them and prefer them to PC gaming, but show me one serious FPS gamer who competes online with a gamepad...

Given how much Modern warfare 2 for the consoles and the halo stuff has sold, I'd say the majority of FPS gamers play with a gamepad these days.

Gaming changes constantly

Offline persia

• Show only replies by persia
« Reply #33 on: April 09, 2010, 10:50:12 PM »
This is a new world to me.  Which gamepad would be considered the best for a serious gamer?

Quote from: runequester;552590
Given how much Modern warfare 2 for the consoles and the halo stuff has sold, I'd say the majority of FPS gamers play with a gamepad these days.

Gaming changes constantly
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

What we\'re witnessing is the sad, lonely crowing of that last, doomed cock.

Offline KThunder

• Show only replies by KThunder
« Reply #34 on: April 10, 2010, 12:20:22 AM »
I hacked an original xbox controller to work with my pc but it is possible to use a 360 controller too. There are also lots of generic controllers from madkatz and others too.
Oh yeah?!?
Well your stupid bit is set,
and its read only!
(my best geek putdown)

Offline Amiga_Nut

• Show only replies by Amiga_Nut
« Reply #35 on: April 10, 2010, 01:01:38 AM »
Quote from: Hell Labs;552345
You're paying for engineering costs and materials, for the iMac and the Air mostly, but the others are pretty well made too. Getting a full i7 rig plus monitor to fit in a case less than half the thickness of your everyday LCD, and having it not overheat constantly is HARD.

I really don't like the iMac concept...you would think Jobs would have learned from Alan Sugar's (Amstrad) mistakes in the 80s...when your LCD/Motherboard goes kaput you need a spare iMac...when your PC fails you only need another PC not monitor x2 and vice versa. And Toshiba make superior ultra lightweight machines (and have done, being the inventor of libretto and portege models) to Apple since the 90s.

Those rubbish flat keyboards for their desktop are horrible to use also, I've used better laptop keyboards on a daily basis!

People will buy Apple despite the cost and convince themselves it's the best....just like BMW Z4 drivers who read the bullshit in the manual that it is the fastest production electric roof ;)

Best looking PC I ever owned was from those idiots @ Packard Bell....however just once they managed to produce a computer with touch sensitive case for DVD drives (concealed) in a gorgeous white shell that would look at home in the movie set of the film 2001. Everyone has personal tastes of their own but still....price is price....and OSX is no better than Linux with a different GUI.

Offline tone007

« Reply #36 on: April 10, 2010, 01:04:43 AM »
All-in-ones have their place, I just bought two Dell Vostros to fit in a cramped test lab environment, $500 apiece.  If they last a couple of years, guess what, ROI!

..and no, laptops weren't an option.
3 Commodore file cabinets, 2 Commodore USB turntables, 1 AmigaWorld beer mug
Alienware M14x i7 laptop running AmigaForever

Offline Hell Labs

« Reply #37 on: April 10, 2010, 02:39:11 AM »
Quote from: Amiga_Nut;552633
I really don't like the iMac concept...you would think Jobs would have learned from Alan Sugar's (Amstrad) mistakes in the 80s...

Amstrad sold typewriters with monitors attached, and a few 8-Bits, pretty much UK exclusive as far as I know. How is this relevent to apple?

when your LCD/Motherboard goes kaput you need a spare iMac...when your PC fails you only need another PC not monitor x2 and vice versa.

Luckily they don't go "kaput" very often. Mine still hasn't, and it's 11 Years old. I've tried. It's fell off desks and everything.

And Toshiba make superior ultra lightweight machines (and have done, being the inventor of libretto and portege models) to Apple since the 90s.

It's funny you mention Toshiba, i've got a 310cds laptop here, and you could probably beat someone to death with it, lcd first, and it'd be unharmed. It weighs about half a stone even with the battery removed though.

Those rubbish flat keyboards for their desktop are horrible to use also, I've used better laptop keyboards on a daily basis!

Once you get used to them they are unquestionably superior. Easier to type on, almost silent, and... Pop a few keys off your keyboard with a pen or something. You won't break it, unless it's a laptop. They'll go back on fine. See all the bits of crisps, dust, fluff, a few pubes? That stuff can't end up in the current mac keyboard.

They feel really weird before you get used to them though, and I've not got one because I refue to pay thirty odd quid for a keyboard. £7 Argos jobby for me thanks.

People will buy Apple despite the cost and convince themselves it's the best....just like BMW Z4 drivers who read the bullshit in the manual that it is the fastest production electric roof ;)

That's kind of daft. The price of a BMW/Apple is reflected in the build quality very clearly. The main difference though is that a new BMW is hideous. It's like they style all the cars by getting a 90's one, and covering it in dents.

At any rate, I've never actually bought an iMac brand new, and have only ever had this one, single apple product. The current iMac is great, and the form factor is exactly what I want. But I cant afford it, so I settle for a a Hackintosh taking up legroom under my desk.

Best looking PC I ever owned was from those idiots @ Packard Bell....however just once they managed to produce a computer with touch sensitive case for DVD drives (concealed) in a gorgeous white shell that would look at home in the movie set of the film 2001.

Which one? My sister had one (cant remember the model) that looked okay. Comedy PB moments were: She couldn't figure out how to play a dvd, refused to beleve the CD burner could also read CDs (whaaa?) and got angry if you proved her wrong, she installed a sound card without looking at the instructions or installing drivers ("what would I want to drive my computer for? it's not a car") then was surprised when it didn't work, destroying her CRT by spraying the insides with furnature polish (WHHHY), and blowing up the PSU doing the same.
But I digress.

Everyone has personal tastes of their own but still....price is price....and OSX is no better than Linux with a different GUI.

Which is one hell of a difference. Every desktop enviroment, toolkit and even the X Window system itself is universally shite.

Ugh. I think the only system to do it worse was windows 3.x.
A1200 Computer Combat. OS3.0. No accelerator, no fastram, mouse soon. And ebaying it.

Offline Karlos

• Sockologist
  • Global Moderator
    • Show only replies by Karlos
« Reply #38 on: April 10, 2010, 02:46:41 AM »
Which is one hell of a difference. Every desktop enviroment, toolkit and even the X Window system itself is universally shite

Yeah, whatever. This, from the guy that complained about editing startup sequence files.

Granted the X server is the least robust part of any linux install, but there are a huge number of window managers, widgetsets etc. To insist that every single one of them is shite is the sort of drivel I'd expect from a complete moron that has barely used any of them for more than 10 minutes.

At least I used OSX for almost 2 years solidly before deciding it wasn't for me.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2010, 02:51:16 AM by Karlos »
int p; // A

Offline kolla

« Reply #39 on: April 10, 2010, 03:06:24 AM »
@Karlos
Muwhaha, I saw your posting before you pulled it ;)

For what it's worth, I've been on X11 since 1993 or so, and I tend to agree with Hell Labs on this. The file requesters in the various X11 toolkits have always been utterly lame and annoying to use. To this day, the best file requesters I have used are the ASL ones in AmigaOS. The "improved" ones in MorphOS just pisses me off, so I dumped in AmigaOS asl.library to get rid of them.
B5D6A1D019D5D45BCC56F4782AC220D8B3E2A6CC
---
A3000/060CSPPC+CVPPC/128MB + 256MB BigRAM/Deneb USB
A4000/CS060/Mediator4000Di/Voodoo5/128MB
A1200/Blz1260/IndyAGA/192MB
A1200/Blz1260/64MB
A1200/Blz1230III/32MB
A1200/ACA1221
A600/V600v2/Subway USB
A600/Apollo630/32MB
A600/A6095
CD32/SX32/32MB/Plipbox
CD32/TF328
A500/V500v2
A500/MTec520
CDTV
MiSTer, MiST, FleaFPGAs and original Minimig
Peg1, SAM440 and Mac minis with MorphOS

Offline Karlos

• Sockologist
  • Global Moderator
    • Show only replies by Karlos
« Reply #40 on: April 10, 2010, 03:11:19 AM »
Funnily enough, I tend to agree about the file requester layout in most X based desktops. I don't agree that everything about X and every window manager ever written for it are "shite" though. That's just not a sensible statement.
int p; // A

Offline Hell Labs

« Reply #41 on: April 10, 2010, 03:33:03 AM »
The thing that annoys me the most, is that for every single thing you need to build a gui, there's a million and one crap choices instead of one or two good ones. They even seem to refue to standardise on a clipboard, it's moronic. Linux guis are all crap, except fluxbox and it's more out of not having anything there to be crap in the first place.

Behold, ubuntu 10!

Don't forget Amarok!

This is terrible. If they hadn't pointlessly changed how you set up different resolution framebuffers (now it doesn't work on my machine), I'd NEVER go near linux guis. None of them know the first thing about UI design. I suppose the "Judean People's Front" method of software deveopment doesn't really help much.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2010, 03:38:35 AM by Hell Labs »

Offline B00tDisk

• VIP / Donor - Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by B00tDisk
    • http://www.thedelversdungeon.com
« Reply #42 on: April 10, 2010, 03:40:05 AM »
Quote from: Fanscale;552554
OpenGL got updated recently to match Direct X. Hopefully that will mean ports to Linux. The only way I'm going to run Windows 7 is on virtual machine under Linux and I'll probably just download a pirated version so I'm not rewarding Microsoft for sub par effort.

Enjoy your malware.
Back away from the EU-SSR!

Offline slayer

• Show only replies by slayer
« Reply #43 on: April 10, 2010, 04:32:34 AM »
Personally I don't think the problem these days is anything to do with what you guys are talking about... nice insight there though Amiga Nut btw... LOL

But most if not all so called Amiga boards that exist today are basically so bastardised you don't know whos wearing what colours...

I'd just like Forums to sort there act out and decide what they want to identify with and that would be cool... ie English Amiga Board could rename itself English Emulation Board... Amigaworld, cpu world etc...

I just don't think the boards reflect the true nature of there members anymore and it shouldnt carry a specific Amiga tag... Now I'm sure some clever dick is waiting in the wind to demonstrate why this wouldn't work in the business world... hell, I could give some good examples myself...

but look at it from this point of view... you should be able to come to an Amiga Board and post very pro and optimistic posts as you like... people can jump onboard and feel good about there platform and there little world... without having to worry about some user spurting out some kind of realistic comparison... Everyone that uses an Amiga knows what it's capable of...

This is what SHOULD be moderated on a PRO Amiga Forum... instead, we have heaps of members who have outgrown the Amiga and are hell bent on pissing on the Amiga ideal time and time again...

Although in saying all this... I'm sure the way things are going, new forum boards will come and all these existing ones are going to be referred to as retro hippie or something... LOL
~Yes I am a Kiwi, No, I did not appear as an extra in \'Lord of the Rings\'~
1x AmigaOne X5000 2.0GHz 2gM RadeonR9280X AOS4.x
3x AmigaOne X1000 1.8GHz 2gM RadeonHD7970 AOS4.x

Offline Hell Labs

« Reply #44 from previous page: April 10, 2010, 04:40:53 AM »
Quote from: B00tDisk;552651
Enjoy your malware.

Have you ever used a torrent site? The comments section alone is always a huge warning if anything is up, and why would a cracking group intentionally ship malware? That's a wonderful mental image, I mean could you imagine someone in TRSI going "hey guys, just for a laugh, you wanna put a virus in?"