Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: PowerBook G4 MorphOS sneak preview  (Read 15658 times)

Description:

Offline Jose

• Show only replies by Jose
Re: PowerBook G4 MorphOS sneak preview
« Reply #29 from previous page: May 21, 2011, 12:36:32 AM »
So, has this been canceled ? I was considering getting a laptop the other day, don't need anything fancy, this wouldn't be bad.
\\"We made Amiga, they {bleep}ed it up\\"

Offline Iggy

• Show only replies by Iggy
« Reply #30 on: May 21, 2011, 01:08:50 AM »
Piru, why post this tease yet again? We've known about it for some time (I think Andreas Wolf bought his months ago).
I'd look for one myself, but with no firm date for support, its just frustrating.
"Not making any hard and fast rules means that the moderators can use their good judgment in moderation, and we think the results speak for themselves." - Amiga.org, terms of service

"You, got to stem the evil tide, and keep it on the the inside" - Rogers Waters

"God was never on your side" - Lemmy

Amiga! "Our appeal has become more selective"

Offline ferrellsl

« Reply #31 on: May 21, 2011, 01:26:31 AM »
Quote from: Iggy;639209
Piru, why post this tease yet again? We've known about it for some time (I think Andreas Wolf bought his months ago).
I'd look for one myself, but with no firm date for support, its just frustrating.

That's because Amiga.org keeps a full stable of annoying people here.....Piru, Franko, et. al.....  LOL

Offline Iggy

« Reply #32 on: May 21, 2011, 03:21:37 AM »
Quote from: ferrellsl;639211
That's because Amiga.org keeps a full stable of annoying people here.....Piru, Franko, et. al.....  LOL

Hey, I'm a MorphOS fanatic myself (and I can be quite irritating when I'm in the mood to be).
But these previews have been available for a long time and the Powerbook port doesn't appear to be any closer.
And the G5 port is even further away.
I'm happy with my Powermac.
Right now, all I'd like would be a better video card. 3D drivers for the R300 or R400 would be something I could get behind.
"Not making any hard and fast rules means that the moderators can use their good judgment in moderation, and we think the results speak for themselves." - Amiga.org, terms of service

Offline amigadave

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by amigadave
    • http://www.EfficientByDesign.org
« Reply #33 on: May 21, 2011, 03:28:58 AM »
Although no new information on the G4 PowerBook release has been given, I am quite sure that they are making good progress and that it will not be too much longer before we all can enjoy portable computing with the best Amiga-Like OS available.

I think they might be very close to a release for the G4 PowerBook (but have no first hand knowledge of such release).
How are you helping the Amiga community? :)

Offline HammerD

« Reply #34 on: May 21, 2011, 03:38:33 AM »
Quote from: amigadave;639232
Although no new information on the G4 PowerBook release has been given, I am quite sure that they are making good progress and that it will not be too much longer before we all can enjoy portable computing with the best Amiga-Like OS available.

I think they might be very close to a release for the G4 PowerBook (but have no first hand knowledge of such release).

I am under the impression they are making progress.  But they probably won't say much until it is done.  I mean they have already hinted at G5 and shown PowerBook at various events.  What more is to say, really, until it is done?
AmigaOS 4.x Beta Tester - Classic Amiga enthusiast - http://www.hd-zone.com is my Amiga Blog, check it out!

Offline amigadave

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #35 on: May 21, 2011, 03:46:35 AM »
Quote from: HammerD;639234
I am under the impression they are making progress.  But they probably won't say much until it is done.  I mean they have already hinted at G5 and shown PowerBook at various events.  What more is to say, really, until it is done?

Yes, they probably will not make any more announcements about it until it is released, or within a few days of release.

Offline Iggy

« Reply #36 on: May 26, 2011, 02:20:47 AM »
Quote from: amigadave;639235
Yes, they probably will not make any more announcements about it until it is released, or within a few days of release.

Yes, probably on release. Still, we know which models will be supported and it can't hurt to start shopping around. I look forward to having a mobile system.

Offline magnetic

• Show only replies by magnetic
« Reply #37 on: May 26, 2011, 02:32:06 AM »
ferellls

How in the hell can you compare an amiga icon like Piru with a moron like Franko? Piru has done more for the amiga platform than 99% of the people here...
bPlan Pegasos2 G4@1ghz
Quad Boot:Reg. MorphOS | OS4.1 U4 |Ubuntu GNU-Linux | MacOS X

Amiga 2000 Rom Switcher w/ 3.1 + 1.3 | HardFrame SCSI | CBM Ram board| A Squared LIVE! 2000 | Vlab Motion | Firecracker 24 gfx

Commodore CDTV: 68010 | ECS | 9mb Ram | SCSI -TV | 3.9 Rom | Developer EPROMs

Offline Iggy

« Reply #38 on: May 26, 2011, 02:36:59 AM »
Mag

ferellls is probably comparing the fact that both hold strong opinions.
But Harry has done a lot for the community.
After all, he's on the development team of my favorite OS.
Thanks Piru.

Offline amigadave

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #39 on: May 26, 2011, 04:12:32 AM »
Quote from: Iggy;640290
Yes, probably on release. Still, we know which models will be supported and it can't hurt to start shopping around. I look forward to having a mobile system.

Well, if you remember, I think that the MorphOS Dev. Team listed fewer G4 PowerMac models than they actually ended up supporting upon initial release of support for the G4 PowerMac models, so the same may be true for the G4 PowerBooks, when support is finally released.  Also, there is one last model of the G4 iBook that could be supported, as it has USB keyboard and trackpad, just like the G4 PowerBook models that are going to be supported.  Due to the differences in the G4 PowerBook models, there won't be as many different models supported, like the G4 PowerMacs, but there might be one or two more models than have already been announced by a few of the developers working on it.  Has there even been an "Official" announcement on the MorphOS website about G4 PowerBook support?  We know it is coming, but last time I looked at the official MorphOS Team site, I did not see anything about PowerBooks.

Given the speed of the last G4 PowerBooks (1.67GHz) and the better graphics cards than previously supported MorphOS2.x systems, they are going to be great, screaming fast MorphOS2.x systems and portability is just icing on the cake.

Offline TheBilgeRat

• Show only replies by TheBilgeRat
« Reply #40 on: June 01, 2011, 05:13:41 PM »
I am curious... I've been over at the MorphOS "Supported Hardware" page and was wondering if there was a list by actual model numbers.  I am trying to cross-reference the most powerful mac I can get that will run both MorphOS and System 9.

Offline jj

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by jj
« Reply #41 on: June 01, 2011, 05:29:10 PM »
Wouldn't that be the Mac Mini silent upgrade
“We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” - George Bernard Shaw

Xbox Live: S0ulA55a551n2

Registered MorphsOS 3.13 user on Powerbook G4 15"

Offline cv643d

• Show only replies by cv643d
« Reply #42 on: June 01, 2011, 06:10:19 PM »
Quote from: cv643d;528706
Is it too hard to answer right now yes or no if this is planned to come in the future?

Last edited by cv643d; 11-07-2009 at 08:54 AM..

Damn!

Time flies, feels like yesterday.
Amiga articles
"New shell. It was finished a while back, but I still see bugs, haha" - SSolie

Offline Lizard

• Show only replies by Lizard
« Reply #43 on: June 01, 2011, 06:13:16 PM »
Quote from: Iggy;639209

Piru didn't post this tease again.
Jose kicked the old topic up with his reply.

Offline Matt_H

« Reply #44 on: June 01, 2011, 06:23:49 PM »
Quote from: JJ;641736
Wouldn't that be the Mac Mini silent upgrade

No, the Mac Mini can't run OS9 natively. There's the Classic emulation if you keep it on 10.4, though.

I think there's a 1.25GHz G4 tower that does native OS9.