Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: back2roots.org .. gone??  (Read 14164 times)

Description:

Offline motorollin

• Show only replies by motorollin
Re: back2roots.org .. gone??
« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2006, 07:06:36 AM »
I have emailed ztnet.com, who are shown as the registrants on the whois record for the domain. Their web site seems to have status reports for some of the domains they host (but not b2r) so I'm hoping they can shed some light on what's going on.

If I get a response, I'll post it here.

--
moto
Code: [Select]
10  IT\'S THE FINAL COUNTDOWN
20  FOR C = 1 TO 2
30     DA-NA-NAAAA-NAAAA DA-NA-NA-NA-NAAAA
40     DA-NA-NAAAA-NAAAA DA-NA-NA-NA-NA-NA-NAAAAA
50  NEXT C
60  NA-NA-NAAAA
70  NA-NA NA-NA-NA-NA-NAAAA NAAA-NAAAAAAAAAAA
80  GOTO 10

Offline Legerdemain

• Show only replies by Legerdemain
« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2006, 10:57:57 AM »
It is at times like these I wouldn't mind having had someone downloaded the entire site, just in case. I know that most sites do their best to keep their bandwidth low and this by using bot-tracking applications and so on (sometimes when I had donwloaded more than 3-4 files in a row from Back2Roots I was left out in the cold for a while since the site believed I was a bot). But, it so often happens with sites that all that one is left with in the end, if shutdown, is Wayback Machine... and I hate it.

Even though I've always enjoyed Back2Root and their efforts, I've come to seldom use it today since the games hosted are in most cases the cracked ones which often works so-so with WHDLoad. If IPF were aimed at, so much the better even though it would be hard to manage to get the games written back to disk for those who would want to do that. But, anyways, the point is, if gone for good it would be a site which I would miss, although rarely visited.

In fact, I've come to the conclusion that I hate most things hosted on the web, since the web in most cases only is a temporary way of storing things. Hall Of Light, for example, I wouldn't mind paying the authors like €50, or maybe even a little bit more, to have on a DVD with the entire site just to ensure that I won't wake up one day not being able to access the site ever again. People ALWAYS get fed up developing sites, and for some reason they seldom want to hand over their work to someone else for continued support, and in most cases they don't want to sell their work either, which leaves nothing at all to the public in the end. I can fully understand people who tries to download entire sites, because if they don't, chances are the sites will be lost forever at one point or another.

It is a bit like emulation. If the emulation scene hadn't come up with the GoodTools (no matter how much I hate those damn GoodTools and their bad dumps, their alternative dumps and their overdumps and all the people obsessed with obtaining all the roms just for the sake of it, not caring about legality or whatever), and the applications alike, how many games wouldn't have been lost in the sands of time? Now prototypes, really hard to get hold of releases and only god knows what have been preserved for the future. This would never have happened if it wasn't for the sake of the emulation scene. The companies themselves would have, with time, lost the sources to some of the games and eventually not having had been able to offer the games to the public in any way, commercial or not. It not for no reason at all C.A.P.S. started back in the days. Or others doing the same thing as C.A.P.S. does (Yes, I do know they've changed their name now).

Oh.

Well.

Anyways.

Amiga 1200, Mirage Tower, PC-Key 1200, Blizzard 1260/50, SCSI Kit, 256MB RAM, 40GB HD, Mediator SX, Soundblaster 128, Voodoo 3 and Realtek 8139.

Offline cv643d

• Show only replies by cv643d
« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2006, 04:57:52 PM »
Thats why a team should handle a site. A team needs a leader that motivates the team. If someone looses interest he finds another member of the team. But the leader needs to be a good guy and not an asshole because then you will have problems.

Just look at Zophar's Domain, one of the oldest emulation sites on the net. Their leader is an asshole not wanting to lift his finger for making his site better. One solution is for the team to start up a new site. Same thing will happen with back2roots I think. But to be honest with you, who cares about 12 year old cracked games these days?
Amiga articles
"New shell. It was finished a while back, but I still see bugs, haha" - SSolie

Offline Tomas

• Show only replies by Tomas
« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2006, 05:06:38 PM »
Just look at Zophar's Domain, one of the oldest emulation sites on the net. Their leader is an asshole not wanting to lift his finger for making his site better. One solution is for the team to start up a new site. Same thing will happen with back2roots I think. But to be honest with you, who cares about 12 year old cracked games these days?

This new team would have to start all over again then with mostly public domain games only, as back2roots is pretty much the only site that actually got permission to host alot of commerical games for free. This new site would have to again ask all those companies for permission to host those files, which i doubt will be a easy task to say the least. It took many years before back2roots got the point where it is today.

And believe it or not, alot of people are still interested in 12 year old games be them cracked or not. I myself often find myself firing up a old classic atleast once a week.

Offline mantisspider

• Show only replies by mantisspider
    • http://www.digitalpowerhouse.net
« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2006, 03:01:56 PM »
Hopefully if someone is taking over back2roots.org, they can buy the name and the goodwill and keep the agreements that were held by the original back2roots.org

Offline Legerdemain

• Show only replies by Legerdemain
« Reply #19 on: May 15, 2006, 04:38:56 PM »
Like I said earlier, this is one of the reasons I dislike the internet... sites that are getting way too big and way too important might just disappear, especially annoying, it is, when they don't offer some kind of alternative way of downloading "all" the material on the site (like P2P, or with torrents just like OverclockedRemix offers where you can download their entire collection of hosted remixes).

I would cry me a river if Hall Of Light were to disappear. I would cry me a river if Exotica were to disappear. I would cry me a river if many other sites were to disappear, and I constantly have this fear of sites that I care for might disappear one day... and Back2Roots did. Everything feels so extremely temporary, and I FULLY understand people that wants to download all the material there is to be found on certain sites... because the next day it might all be gone. When sites disappear it is all so final. If a magazine stops being produced, all that they have done is still available in one form or another, and can legally be bought... all the written reviews, all the presented maps and solutions, everything, is still there. But with a site, it is all gone. Imagine GameFAQ's closing down. Imagine ALL the manhours spent on the material that is to be found on that site... gone... or at least shattered (in some cases, to reappear on some various sites).

Why on earth can't Back2Roots announce why they are offline? What is the problem? Do they tend to resolve the problem (if there is a problem) or do they just not care about the site anymore? If, when, why, what (courtesy of the Pet Shop Boys)? The silence will certainly not help them to keep their userbase (if they tend to return). A simple announcement would be enough, but as of today... nothing?

Oh, well, whatever...

I can live without Back2Roots, but it was a really nice site anyways... and it is a shame that it does seem to be gone, and especially a shame not knowing why...

Shame on them...

Shame...
Amiga 1200, Mirage Tower, PC-Key 1200, Blizzard 1260/50, SCSI Kit, 256MB RAM, 40GB HD, Mediator SX, Soundblaster 128, Voodoo 3 and Realtek 8139.

Offline Tomas

« Reply #20 on: May 15, 2006, 05:06:22 PM »
It has been down for months.. It just partly went down without any notice whatsoall and then a month later the domains also went down.

The roumors say that the admin did it because he was feed up with the lack of support/donations from the amiga community.

I tried sending mail to the other sites using the back2roots domain, but no response whatsoever.
I personally think it is a bit childish if the rumours are true, as they could atleast make a notice about it.

Offline Tomas

« Reply #21 on: May 15, 2006, 05:10:38 PM »

mantisspider wrote:
Hopefully if someone is taking over back2roots.org, they can buy the name and the goodwill and keep the agreements that were held by the original back2roots.org

I dont think that is legally possible..  :-(
This is why it sucks so damn much, since no one is ever gonna be able to get permission for all these games again.
Which is also why i am fuc*ing feed up with people trying to shutdown sites who host abandonware, as there is really no other way to get this games as they are no longer being sold. So this means they will fade away and will only be a distant memory...

Offline buzz

• Show only replies by buzz
« Reply #22 on: May 15, 2006, 06:04:14 PM »

Legerdemain wrote:
I would cry me a river if Hall Of Light were to disappear. I would cry me a river if Exotica were to disappear.

Don't worry!

ExoticA is not going to disappear. Also we are working on the next "version" of the site, which is wiki based (With the databased areas like UnExoticA being managed by a custom wikibot). Due to the the size of the project and the old site being less and less maintainable, we decided it would work better if everyone could contribute. It will not look pretty on Amiga browsers though, unless one with some css support is made.

Offline AF

• Show only replies by AF
    • http://www.amigaflame.com
« Reply #23 on: May 15, 2006, 08:36:07 PM »
Gamers should visit Amiga Games That Weren't as you can read about and in some cases download games that were never released.  This website might ease your suffering until we learn whether Back 2 Roots will re-appear.

http://agtw.abime.net/

AF

Offline motorollin

• Show only replies by motorollin
« Reply #24 on: May 15, 2006, 08:48:18 PM »
@AF
Words cannot express the excitement I felt when I saw the ADF download of Putty Squad, and the disappointment when I realised it was just the demo :-(

--
moto
Code: [Select]
10  IT\'S THE FINAL COUNTDOWN
20  FOR C = 1 TO 2
30     DA-NA-NAAAA-NAAAA DA-NA-NA-NA-NAAAA
40     DA-NA-NAAAA-NAAAA DA-NA-NA-NA-NA-NA-NAAAAA
50  NEXT C
60  NA-NA-NAAAA
70  NA-NA NA-NA-NA-NA-NAAAA NAAA-NAAAAAAAAAAA
80  GOTO 10

Offline AF

• Show only replies by AF
    • http://www.amigaflame.com
« Reply #25 on: May 15, 2006, 08:52:42 PM »
@motorollin

You could always download and play the full version of Super Tennis Champs from EAGER.  I always found a game of tennis quite fun.

http://eager.orgfree.com/Download/stcDL.html

AF

Offline Wayne

• Winning!
    • Show only replies by Wayne
    • http://www.whyzzat.com
« Reply #26 on: May 15, 2006, 10:29:16 PM »
everything in the universe have a born and die
you,me,your family,the planet earh,the sun,the roman empire,the mayan,babylon,your country

and everything is forgetted
so nothing strange have happened with back2roots site
on 70 years all the amiga ppl and websites will be dead
cause ppl that used the amiga will be dead and underground
cause the new generation will not be interested on old computers or old games

so boys:

stop cry like stupids chicks

BACK2TO THE REALITY

ok

Motorolling,

there's a full version of the game putty squad on SNES platform and is a good one,however the music is better on the amiga demo version
Play the game on any SNES emulator and forget the miggy version cause never was realesed

bye, Laser

bye, Laser

bye, Laser

//* Signature Free *//

Offline Tomas

« Reply #27 on: May 21, 2006, 06:48:25 PM »
It seems like the domain name and the ftp servers is back up and running again atleast... the main site is still as down as always though  :-(

Offline AGSzabo

• Show only replies by AGSzabo
    • http://www.psi5.com/~silva/afilter/
« Reply #28 on: June 18, 2006, 04:21:36 PM »
was it a demo archive, try this instead: http://kestra.exotica.org.uk
mobilis in mobili

Offline buzz

• Show only replies by buzz
« Reply #29 from previous page: June 18, 2006, 05:03:18 PM »
It was demos and games and mods and other stuff. Mostly emulation orientated.
Most of the files should be available elsewhere though.

Still it's always a shame to see sites disappear..