Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Giana Sisters Return on Dreamcast and GP32  (Read 5539 times)

Description:

Re: Giana Sisters Return on Dreamcast and GP32
« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2003, 11:32:19 PM »
c'mon boys... Don't tell me you prefere a Nintendo for eg. a PS2? The Nintendo game titles are mostly for children, while PS2 titles aren't...

I bought a GBA for my 4 yr old son last christmas.  It's ace.  The next one I get for him will be a GameCube.  We can play the games together.  Father/Son bonding time.

Offline Staticman

• Show only replies by Staticman
    • http://www.freewebs.com/staticdrummer
« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2003, 11:56:21 PM »
sega dreamcast - are games still being released for this console? the last magazine closed over a year ago and there were next to no games in development back then. :-?

Offline Bezzen

• Show only replies by Bezzen
    • http://www.streammountain.se
« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2003, 12:12:43 AM »
I really hated Nintendo's back in the days, like any C64 users I guess. Last week I played both Giana Sisters and Super Mario Bros to compare, and now there's absolutely no doubt in my mind that SMB comes out on top as the better game. Miyamoto is the biggest game design genious there is. Donkey Kong, Mario, Zelda!  :-D

(Giana Sisters is still a great game though)

Offline fx

• Show only replies by fx
    • UHC Tools
« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2003, 01:43:02 AM »

LP wrote:
c'mon boys... Don't tell me you prefere a Nintendo for eg.  a PS2? The Nintendo game titles are mostly for children, while PS2 titles aren't...

See my point now?

No I don't, the Gamecube has way better hardware than the PS2 and Nintendo makes better games than Sony. Just look at Metroid Prime for example, runs incredibly smooth at 60hz and looks way better than any PS2 game I have ever seen.

See my point now?
Slightly bored and severly confused..

« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2003, 02:02:39 AM »
I really loved the playstation when it came out... it was a blessing...cheap 3D for the masses... but I always loved Nintendo games much better...they had good 'titles' where Playstation had good graphics...now its not just titles/graphics it's also features... so you have the gamecube..it has good graphics, good titles, and bad features... the playstation2 has bad graphics, some good titles but not to many in my opinon...and great features... the Xbox has almost no titles... it has excellent graphics and loads of features....

I'm not buying any of them but if I bought a machine to play games it would be another nintendo...

Offline Legerdemain

• Show only replies by Legerdemain
« Reply #19 on: May 04, 2003, 02:06:52 AM »
The sad thing is that Playstation2 wouldn't have become so big if it wasn't for Sony and their economical backup. In theory the Playstation2 wasn't at all the ultimate gaming console by any means. Hard to develop on, decent processor but less good graphic capabilites than say the Dreamcast.

If Sony would have been the ones to release the Dreamcast the world would probably have been greeted with better looking and smoother running games, and the developers would have had a marvelous and simple console to develop games on. Instead, the Playstation2 took the place as the best selling console and it is to me so illogical...

...but what to expect? The masses have never bothered about quality, just quantity, and thus the Playstation2 was the obvious choiche back then (and today to a lesser extent) simply because it had a larger game catalogue to offer (abeit the quality is obviously lacking in many titles, not to mention the horrid framerate in the oh so popular GTA - Vice City or the pathetic PAL conversion of Final Fantasy with black screen borders bigger than hell itself and a noticable speed loss).

The world works in mysterious, although extremely predictable ways.
Amiga 1200, Mirage Tower, PC-Key 1200, Blizzard 1260/50, SCSI Kit, 256MB RAM, 40GB HD, Mediator SX, Soundblaster 128, Voodoo 3 and Realtek 8139.

Offline Legerdemain

« Reply #20 on: May 04, 2003, 02:14:23 AM »

so you have the gamecube..it has good graphics, good titles, and bad features... the playstation2 has bad graphics, some good titles but not to many in my opinon...and great features... the Xbox has almost no titles... it has excellent graphics and loads of features....

What kind of features are you talking about here? Like the Playstation2 being able to play both music CD:s and movie DVD:s? The X-Box capable of doing the same?

Personally I do prefer a solid game-only system which is cheap and does what it is supposed to do in a good way. The Playstation2 has never done that according to me, and the graphics are really suffering due to the "not-so-extensively-implented" graphics effects one is being able to use with the graphics card inside the console.

The X-Box isn't really much more interesting as a gaming console, to me at least, 'cause it is all but a success in Japan and playing fast-paced-FPS I do prefer to do on a extensive PC-system. I mean, there isn't much power inside the X-Box... neither CPU nor graphics. It's a cheap end PC, more or less.
Amiga 1200, Mirage Tower, PC-Key 1200, Blizzard 1260/50, SCSI Kit, 256MB RAM, 40GB HD, Mediator SX, Soundblaster 128, Voodoo 3 and Realtek 8139.

Offline Legerdemain

« Reply #21 on: May 04, 2003, 02:15:10 AM »
...double posting. Weeeird.

Offline XDelusionTopic starter

• Alien Breeder
    • Show only replies by XDelusion
    • http://starwarslegacy.net/
« Reply #22 on: May 04, 2003, 03:54:53 AM »
 There is not any commecial software being released for the Dreamcast anymore that I know of, only the free stuff at sites like www.dcemulation.com

and

consolevision.com.

Legerdemain: You are hitting the nail right on the head when you talk about the PS2, it IS definatly an overrated piece of crap, and no the consumer does not care about quality, otherwise we would all be running Amigas instead of PC's and Macs, and we would live in a world we're people don't think that muti-tasking was something Bill Gates came up with in 95. :)

As for the XBOX, it is definatly better than the Gamecube, not only does the Hard Drive give it more capabilities than a non-hard drive system such as faster loading times, and more random events per level, costum musick, ect. But the crappy CPU is faster then the PS2 by FAR, and perhaps still faster than the Cube's PPC, though I am not totally sure on that part. On the other hand ATI could not compare graphically at the time, thus the XBOX does provide more polys per second, and has lighting effects, and other extra effects that did not exsist on any other graphic chips during the period these 3 systems were made. On top of all this the XBOX has double the RAM of the PS2, and about 20Mb more than the Cube, so you can not say a system with less RAM can pull off the same feats, in Sony's case you can't do a THING cause you are stuck with 4Mb video RAM, and on top of that there is no compression, which means you are going to use that 4MB up QUICK, which is somethign the Dreamcast was good at, it had 8Mb video RAM with compression to boot which basically means the Dreamcast could infact pull off quite a number of stunts the PS2 will NEVER do! :)

I am not saying the Cube sux though, I am just saying the XBOX is the best bang for the buck, ecspecially once you mod it.... :)
Earth has a lot of things other folks might want... like the whole planet. And maybe these folks would like a few changes made, like more carbon dioxide in the atmosphere and room for their way of life. - William S. Burroughs

Offline Legerdemain

« Reply #23 on: May 04, 2003, 04:17:04 AM »
Yes, I do so see your point here. But, I still can't help feeling that I yet haven't seen anything (?) that have impressed me on the X-Box...  when compared to a fat PC it doesn't do much, and overall I think the lack of games and the quite often crappy programming of the games that makes them lag so tremendously much (I do prefer a game that run at a stable 15 FPS than a game that runs at 60 FPS but then suffers from these -20 FPS slowdowns at an annoyingly frequent rate... Halo, for example, isn't really the most pleasurable game to play if it is smoothness one wants) makes it for me an uneccessary investement.

I think of the X-Box more like a possible little cheap computer to install stuff on and run as a server... play around with Linux, emulators and stuff on. But, in the end, I guess it is a matter of taste. Besides, I wouldn't want to support Microsoft to the extent of buying the console (yeah, maybe second-hand, since no money is going back to them then).

Oh well.

Offline iamaboringperson

• Show only replies by iamaboringperson
« Reply #24 on: May 04, 2003, 04:39:17 AM »
back on topic:

why is this stuff on the net?  :-)

Offline Staticman

• Show only replies by Staticman
    • http://www.freewebs.com/staticdrummer
« Reply #25 on: May 04, 2003, 10:14:53 AM »
i invested in a ps2 in december 2001... it was ok at first but i havent touched the thing in months. i think i will sell it and take a break from consoles for a while. none of them look particularly great from what i can see. the sega megadrive had to be one of the best games consoles ever..the games were fantastic. i did own a dreamcast (did i already say that?) which was very good fun.

of course the amiga had some cool games too  :-D

Offline KingTutt

• Show only replies by KingTutt
« Reply #26 on: May 05, 2003, 02:51:49 AM »
Some cool games? SOME COOL GAMES!?!

If I recall correctly, Amiga had THE coolest games.

And I agree, Dreamcast got killed off by those blithering ignoranuses, who waited and waited for the PS2 to come out. Rather than buy a then superior Dreamcast. Too bad, we all lost in the end. We could have had a 4 horse console race today.

As for the PS2 vs Xbox vs Gamecube. I think that GameCube is the most original out of the three, but suffers from the kiddy appeal factor. Not many adult gamers consider the Gamecube for this very reason. Altho I do find Super Smash Meelee refreshing. Expect this to be their last console tho. Otherwise we will be lucky to see one more effort for 2004/5 but no more after that. Nintendo looks shaky at best these days.

Quite sad really, the day nintendo dies. We will be left with only microsoft and sony. And after one of them fails (most likely Sony) we will only have m$. And that will be a day of mourning for all of us. The day the true consoles giants died. M$ may be technically superior, but it just feels so labored, it is a console without soul. And being an Amigan who resents m$ for killing alternate computer platforms. I will most likely leave computing and gaming for good when that day finally arrives.

Unless of course Amiga rises again like the proverbial Phoenix it is! And heralds a new wave of gaming bliss.
If I said I was the best you would think I am boasting. But if I said I was not, then you KNOW I am lying! ~Bruce Lee.

« Reply #27 on: May 05, 2003, 02:55:22 AM »
Unless of course Amiga rises again like the proverbial Phoenix it is! And heralds a new wave of gaming bliss.

And you'd get better odds at the bookies on the Pope turning Muslim! ;-)

Offline XDelusionTopic starter

• Alien Breeder
    • Show only replies by XDelusion
    • http://starwarslegacy.net/
« Reply #28 on: May 05, 2003, 03:43:08 AM »
 For the note...

... I bought my XBOX used, and have not purchased a single game aside of Jedi Knight, and Red Faction 2, and I WILL MOST CERTAINLY buy DOOM 3 for it, because I am a DOOM collector. I simply could not live with myself if I supporte M$. :)

As for the system being souless, ya I agree, the Sony always felt that way to me too, I am not sure why, but both these systems feel somehow...

...un-cute? Not like a cool techy toy?  The SNES, Turbo GFX, Sega CD, ect. They had some sort of kool appeal to them, perhaps because of the expansion slots? I am not sure. I love the GBA adaptor that the Game Cube has though, now that is kool as is the E-Reader! Though I am a man of low income, so I use the XBOX A: Because it is easy to MOD and copy games onto, B: It also works as a computer. C: It lets me relive ALL of my favorite classics on one unit.

As for Halo and other games being choppy, and poorly programmed, I'd say definatly not more than any other system. It depends upon the game. Halo played smoothe as hell and had the best loading time for a HUGE game that I have EVER seen. I really can not wait to see what they do with part 2.

I wonder how soon this Giana Sister's sequal is going to be till it comes out? It has beena  while since I 1st heard about it. :/
Earth has a lot of things other folks might want... like the whole planet. And maybe these folks would like a few changes made, like more carbon dioxide in the atmosphere and room for their way of life. - William S. Burroughs

Offline iamaboringperson

• Show only replies by iamaboringperson
« Reply #29 from previous page: May 05, 2003, 05:53:08 AM »
the commodore 64 had the most innovative and unique game IMHO

there was some STRAAAAAANGE stuff on the 64! :-o