Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Amithlon on HP Laptop  (Read 2696 times)

Description:

Offline spaceman88Topic starter

• Show only replies by spaceman88
Amithlon on HP Laptop
« on: December 27, 2014, 10:10:54 PM »
So I put my Amithlon CD in one of the HP 6730b laptops that I sell and much to my surprise the boing ball bounced around a few things then rebooted into Workbench. I went to OS 3.9 install and things seemed to work until I tried to find the hard drive. The window showed CD0: , HDH0: and RAM: as well as a bunch of , none of which is the laptop HD. Is this because it has a SATA drive? The specs are 2.4 GHz Core 2 Duo, 160 GB HD, 4 GB RAM.

Offline trekiej

Re: Amithlon on HP Laptop
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2014, 12:29:33 AM »
I am curios. Did you make your fat16 file system and the file system for which you will put Amithlon?
I have an Amithlon blog, it may help you.
Amiga 2000 Forever :)
Welcome to the Planar System.

« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2014, 02:07:36 AM »
Quote from: trekiej;780631
I am curios. Did you make your fat16 file system and the file system for which you will put Amithlon?
I have an Amithlon blog, it may help you.

Had a look at your blog......looks like I need to do some more work :-(.  Thanks.

Offline Duce

• Off to greener pastures
    • Show only replies by Duce
    • http://amigabbs.blogspot.com/
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2014, 08:53:07 AM »
Amithlon has a habit of puking on SATA devices/chipsets.  My own Amithlon box will install and run for a bit on the onboard SATA on the mobo, then it packs it up and refuses to work.

It's an older machine, so I still have PATA/IDE onboard, the last of my machines to have an IDE port, sadly.  IDE works 100% on said machine with Amithlon.

You running the latest kernel?

« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2014, 03:05:40 PM »
Quote from: Duce;780651
Amithlon has a habit of puking on SATA devices/chipsets.  My own Amithlon box will install and run for a bit on the onboard SATA on the mobo, then it packs it up and refuses to work.

It's an older machine, so I still have PATA/IDE onboard, the last of my machines to have an IDE port, sadly.  IDE works 100% on said machine with Amithlon.

You running the latest kernel?

I think it's the latest, I downloaded it a couple of months ago and have been trying it in every computer I come across. This was the first one the boing ball didn't freeze or something. Maybe I should sell this and look for an IDE setup. I can take a laptop apart and repair it but software setups for odd OS's is not my strong point. Looking at some of the guides, I'm starting to think this may be beyond me......

Offline trekiej

« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2014, 07:09:25 PM »
@Spaceman88
If you find anything wrong with the blog please let me know.
The "updates section" is a little rough and it can be hard to know what to install.
Amiga 2000 Forever :)
Welcome to the Planar System.

Offline SnkBitten

• Amithlon Fanatic
    • Show only replies by SnkBitten
    • http://amithlon.snkbitten.com
« Reply #6 on: February 29, 2016, 12:58:14 PM »
Interesting, you have 4 GB ram and Amithlon booted off the CD?  I've never been able to get Amithlon to boot on a system with more than 1 GB except for a Virtualbox setup I did with different memory settings (2 GB, 3 GB, 4 GB, 8 GB) and using the mem= statement in the linux boot config for Amithlon (small or amithlon).

Also, if possible, build another Amithlon CD but replace emubox.gz with kernel 3.10 and edit the config files to reference the new kernel in place of emubox.gz.  I've had varying degrees of luck with SATA drives.  Also check your BIOS settings and see if the SATA controller has a "legacy" mode or "IDE" mode and set it to that.  If that lets you see the drive you can start creating the DOS boot partition and Amiga virtual drive.

« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2016, 01:57:53 AM »
Quote from: SnkBitten;804893
Interesting, you have 4 GB ram and Amithlon booted off the CD?  I've never been able to get Amithlon to boot on a system with more than 1 GB except for a Virtualbox setup I did with different memory settings (2 GB, 3 GB, 4 GB, 8 GB) and using the mem= statement in the linux boot config for Amithlon (small or amithlon).

Also, if possible, build another Amithlon CD but replace emubox.gz with kernel 3.10 and edit the config files to reference the new kernel in place of emubox.gz.  I've had varying degrees of luck with SATA drives.  Also check your BIOS settings and see if the SATA controller has a "legacy" mode or "IDE" mode and set it to that.  If that lets you see the drive you can start creating the DOS boot partition and Amiga virtual drive.

Yes, it booted right up. I don't have that laptop anymore, but I think there's another one coming in my next shipment in a couple of weeks. Not sure what kernel version I was using. I should dig out the disk and try it on the new laptop and see if I can get any further than last time.

Offline SnkBitten

• Amithlon Fanatic
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2016, 04:08:50 PM »
Quote from: spaceman88;805118
Yes, it booted right up. I don't have that laptop anymore, but I think there's another one coming in my next shipment in a couple of weeks. Not sure what kernel version I was using. I should dig out the disk and try it on the new laptop and see if I can get any further than last time.

Interested to see how it progresses the next time you  have the opportunity to test.

I've got Amithlon running on a Dell Inspiron 5150 laptop.  15", P4 @3.06 ghz, 768 MB ram, 80 GB HD with AHI audio, USB (poseidon/arakattack) and Wireless NIC all working.  Only thing really missing is accelerated graphics but it's still not that bad at 1280x1024x32bit "builtin" graphics mode.

« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2016, 09:02:35 PM »
OK, I got 2 more of these laptops, this time I didn't even get the bouncing ball, just the word "Amithlon" then a blank screen. I took out some RAM (left 512 mb) and I got the ball back then something about 68040, then Phase 5 emulator crash!! So now I have no idea, I was sure I had it running from the CD on this model. So I guess you better leave it off your compatiblilty list :-(.

Offline SnkBitten

• Amithlon Fanatic
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2016, 10:30:05 PM »
Quote from: spaceman88;805597
OK, I got 2 more of these laptops, this time I didn't even get the bouncing ball, just the word "Amithlon" then a blank screen. I took out some RAM (left 512 mb) and I got the ball back then something about 68040, then Phase 5 emulator crash!! So now I have no idea, I was sure I had it running from the CD on this model. So I guess you better leave it off your compatiblilty list :-(.

Thanks for the update.  Does your Amithlon CD use the original kernel or a newer one?  I've had better success with either new_emubox.gz or kern310 as the kernel (you have to make a new Amithlon CD that uses either of those kernels) for booting various hardware.