Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Lets talk or play... Breathless  (Read 4958 times)

Description:

Offline motorollin

• Show only replies by motorollin
Re: Lets talk or play... Breathless
« Reply #59 from previous page: December 30, 2010, 05:17:13 PM »
Quote from: koshman;602809
Still it's hard for me to understand why would anyone want to play 3D games on Amiga (especially AGA) and why would anyone want to play 1st generation FPS regardless of platform today (maybe with the expection of.... DOOM...). This is a genre that has really evolved and improved a lot.

I think there's a certain kick to be had from seeing how well the Amiga could do FPSs when everyone was raving about Doom on the PC. The bad ones are awful, but the good ones really showed the Amiga's potential.

--
moto
Code: [Select]
10  IT\'S THE FINAL COUNTDOWN
20  FOR C = 1 TO 2
30     DA-NA-NAAAA-NAAAA DA-NA-NA-NA-NAAAA
40     DA-NA-NAAAA-NAAAA DA-NA-NA-NA-NA-NA-NAAAAA
50  NEXT C
60  NA-NA-NAAAA
70  NA-NA NA-NA-NA-NA-NAAAA NAAA-NAAAAAAAAAAA
80  GOTO 10

Offline motorollin

« Reply #60 on: December 30, 2010, 05:17:47 PM »
Quote from: runequester;602880
I installed Genetic again last night and it is aaaawesome. I can't believe how quick it runs on an 030, and still looks so great.

What spec are you running on?

--
moto
20  FOR C = 1 TO 2
50  NEXT C
60  NA-NA-NAAAA
80  GOTO 10

Offline whabang

• Show only replies by whabang
« Reply #61 on: December 30, 2010, 05:23:04 PM »
Quote from: runequester;602880
I installed Genetic again last night and it is aaaawesome. I can't believe how quick it runs on an 030, and still looks so great.

Genetic species basically uses a Wolfenstein-esque engine with good textures and some transparent sprites. It's a cheap trick but the end result is awesome! :)
Beating the dead horse since 2002.

Offline motorollin

« Reply #62 on: December 30, 2010, 05:33:17 PM »
Quote from: whabang;602890
Genetic species basically uses a Wolfenstein-esque engine with good textures and some transparent sprites. It's a cheap trick but the end result is awesome! :)

Didn't it use lighting and shading effects and multiple alpha sprites? ISTR the magazine reviews discussing the fact that GS employed these techniques, seen for years on the PC, for the first time in an Amiga FPS.

--
moto
20  FOR C = 1 TO 2
50  NEXT C
60  NA-NA-NAAAA
80  GOTO 10

Offline koshman

• Show only replies by koshman
« Reply #63 on: December 30, 2010, 05:59:43 PM »
@ Runequester:

Thanks for the link, I saw this device before, but didn't know how it performed in practice. It's good to know that you're happy with it. I like that it's external and universal, also the price isn't bad when compared with most Amiga scandoublers.

As for Genetic Species, it's probably one of the best looking FPSs on Amiga IMO. I only played a few levels and found the environments somewhat repetitive, but it' really amazing how fast it is considering how great it looks. I would like to see the engine render some outdoor levels, don't know if there are some, I will have to play it more.
I really like Nemac IV - it looks amazing, very sharp like it is higher res or something. I also find it enjoyable, it's highly underrated IMO.

@ Moto:

I know what you mean:-) I like playing mp3s and video on my Amigas just to see how far can I push them:-) But I prefer advanced demos to demonstrate Amiga's graphical capabilities as those have always been its strong point. I find it amusing that on my 060 the best running FPS as in fastest, most fluent, is Doom. Serkously. The most technically advanced then would be Quake - playable with RTG and OCed 060.
- Radim

A600 - 68020/33, 10MB RAM, 3.1, 2GB SD

Offline runequesterTopic starter

• It\'s Amiga time!
    • Show only replies by runequester
« Reply #64 on: December 30, 2010, 06:20:27 PM »
Moto - Its a 1230/56, and 64 megs of RAM, the new ones from Individual Computers. I dont know if the fact its SD RAM makes a significant difference here. I think the game is just very well coded.

I think after the new years, when Im supposed to go as much "amiga only" as I can, as part of my experiment, I'll do a series of discussions on each of the various amiga FPS games. Seems like there's fodder for conversation and some game playing together here :)

Koshman - If I forget, remind me after the weekend to get some pictures for you, of the thing in use. Its pretty incognito, mine is just stuffed behind the amiga. The only annoying thing is it has an AC adapter, so the power strip gets a bit crowded, but other than that, I've been really happy, and its a lot cheaper than Indivision (which is second hand only right now).

Also, you dont have to mess around inside the miggy, whcih in this day and age is probably a good thing. That case gets pretty cramped as it is

Offline whabang

• Show only replies by whabang
« Reply #65 on: December 30, 2010, 06:48:02 PM »
Quote from: motorollin;602894
Didn't it use lighting and shading effects and  multiple alpha sprites? ISTR the magazine reviews discussing the fact  that GS employed these techniques, seen for years on the PC, for the  first time in an Amiga FPS.

--
moto
Yeah, that's what I meant with transparent sprites, wasn't familiar with the technical term for them. :)

The  3D rendering is done with ray casting, just as in Wolfenstein 3D. It's  just that the textures are waaaay prettier and the sprites have an alpha  channel.
Beating the dead horse since 2002.

Offline motorollin

« Reply #66 on: December 30, 2010, 07:10:30 PM »
Quote from: koshman;602900
I know what you mean:-) I like playing mp3s and video on my Amigas just to see how far can I push them:-) But I prefer advanced demos to demonstrate Amiga's graphical capabilities as those have always been its strong point. I find it amusing that on my 060 the best running FPS as in fastest, most fluent, is Doom. Serkously. The most technically advanced then would be Quake - playable with RTG and OCed 060.

It's great to see what we can do with our old machines, both from the point of view of seeing how far they can be pushed, and also to see if they can keep up with comparable machines of the day (even if it is too late now ;))

--
moto
20  FOR C = 1 TO 2
50  NEXT C
60  NA-NA-NAAAA
80  GOTO 10

Offline motorollin

« Reply #67 on: December 30, 2010, 07:14:56 PM »
Quote from: runequester;602902
Moto - Its a 1230/56, and 64 megs of RAM, the new ones from Individual Computers. I dont know if the fact its SD RAM makes a significant difference here. I think the game is just very well coded.

Hmm, must be. I'm using a Blizzard 1230/50 with 16MB of RAM. Oh god, the upgrade monster has got me again :nervous:

--
moto
20  FOR C = 1 TO 2
50  NEXT C
60  NA-NA-NAAAA
80  GOTO 10

Offline koshman

• Show only replies by koshman
« Reply #68 on: January 05, 2011, 02:10:34 PM »
I played some more yesterday. One thing I like is the static backdrop image in outdoor sections - it's a small thing, but it really helps immersion. On the other hand - some of the levels are making me crazy - like the maze in lvl 8 where you are vulnerable and attacked from all 4 sides by those generic soldiers and apes (don't look like robots to me :) ) - it's little unfair, but adds challenge, true :)
- Radim

A600 - 68020/33, 10MB RAM, 3.1, 2GB SD