Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: AsimCDFS patches  (Read 4251 times)

Description:

Offline spiranthoTopic starter

AsimCDFS patches
« on: June 23, 2013, 11:53:43 AM »
Hi everybody,

I'm setting up an A4000 with OS3.9, and it runs the ATAPI CD-ROM drive just fine... with AsimCDFS. With the OS3.9 scsi.device, however, it gets read errors. Now, this is probably just a set-up issue somewhere, but I'd like to know anyway....

Is it possible to download the patches for AsimCDFS to patch my (fully bought and registered) AsimCDFS v3.5 up to v3.10? Obviously the FTP site you could download them from has gone, and it was password protected, so the Wayback Machine can't get to it either.

Can anyone help? Maybe we could upload the patches to the Aminet now? I very much doubt Iomega would care...!

Thanks if so!
--
Ian Gledhill
ian.gledhill@btinternit.com (except it should be internEt of course...!)
Check out my shop! http://www.mutant-caterpillar.co.uk/shop/ - for 8-bit (and soon 16-bit) goodness!

Offline lionstorm

Re: AsimCDFS patches
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2013, 03:39:39 PM »
maybe the updates are on the FTP of EAB (down at the moment apparently) ?

Offline mechy

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2013, 04:15:13 PM »
Quote from: spirantho;738597
Hi everybody,

I'm setting up an A4000 with OS3.9, and it runs the ATAPI CD-ROM drive just fine... with AsimCDFS. With the OS3.9 scsi.device, however, it gets read errors. Now, this is probably just a set-up issue somewhere, but I'd like to know anyway....

Is it possible to download the patches for AsimCDFS to patch my (fully bought and registered) AsimCDFS v3.5 up to v3.10? Obviously the FTP site you could download them from has gone, and it was password protected, so the Wayback Machine can't get to it either.

Can anyone help? Maybe we could upload the patches to the Aminet now? I very much doubt Iomega would care...!

Thanks if so!

You could use the cdrom filesystem with 3.9 instead? you need to be sure idefix is installed. any reason you want asim?

mech
« Last Edit: June 23, 2013, 04:17:56 PM by mechy »

Offline delshay

• Show only replies by delshay
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2013, 04:23:26 PM »
I don't have the patch or updates,but I did overwrite the original disk to the last update along with master iso (both original disk overwritten with last update) but I am not so sure if this can be shared.

I think I patch can be written but not sure as CD audio disk does not show-up on workbench when a DVD drive is used,normal CD drive is not affected and works fine.

Their also had some nice icons which I am trying to find for both apps.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2013, 04:26:38 PM by delshay »
-------------
power is nothing without control

« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2013, 04:28:49 PM »
As much as anything else, I want to use AsimCDFS because I can (it was quite expensive back in the day!), but does also offer some advantages. The AsimCDFS patches update the asim_atapi.device and improve the CD32 emulation as well, though, which can be useful.

@Delshay
interesting about the CD audio... but I'm not likely to be listening to CDs on it. :)
--
Ian Gledhill
Check out my shop! http://www.mutant-caterpillar.co.uk/shop/ - for 8-bit (and soon 16-bit) goodness!

Offline delshay

• Show only replies by delshay
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2013, 04:44:23 PM »
CD audio works fine as long as you are using a CD drive. The problem is if you have a DVD drive you can still play audio but you can't see the track number and this affects master iso no track is displayed,so if a patch is allowed this will be most welcome to bring full compatible with DVD drive,normal CD drive is not affected.

NOTE: tested using a SCSI DVD rom drive.

This software also seems to work ok with FastATA MKIII/IV also but I did not check the transfer speed.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2013, 04:55:56 PM by delshay »
-------------
power is nothing without control

Offline motrucker

« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2013, 08:33:29 PM »
I had some problems with 3.10, so I rolled back to 3.8. I am using it with Workbench 3.5 and everything is working fine.
Any one else have this problem?
A2000 GVP 40MHz \'030, 21Mb RAM SD/FF, 2 floppies, internal CD-ROM drive, micromys v3 w/laser mouse
A1000 Microbotics Starboard II w/2Mb 1080, & external floppy (AIRdrive)
C-128 w/1571, 1750, & Final Cartridge III+

Offline lionstorm

« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2013, 03:11:15 PM »
I have an archive of AsimCDFS3.7 in my backup (never used it). PM if you want it.

Offline ChaosLord

• Show only replies by ChaosLord
    • http://totalchaoseng.dbv.pl/news.php
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2013, 03:30:07 PM »
Quote from: mechy;738612
You could use the cdrom filesystem with 3.9 instead? you need to be sure idefix is installed. any reason you want asim?

mech

I have heard ppl say that AsimCDFS is massively better/faster/more efficient than the AmigaOS cd filesystem.

I only ever used a couple of CDs on my Amiga OS3.9 machine and maybe a couple on my OS 3.1 machine so I am not personally any kind of CDFS expert.

I can say for sure that AsimCDFS is better than what came with OS3.1

These factors are probably why he wants to use AsimCDFS.

There was another commercial CDFS back in the day... but I can't remember what it was called.
Wanna try a wonderfull strategy game with lots of handdrawn anims,
Magic Spells and Monsters, Incredible playability and lastability,
English speech, etc. Total Chaos AGA

« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2013, 03:59:44 PM »
I think CacheCDFS is the one you may be thinking of, as I don't believe that start off life as free. AsimCDFS always had lots of goodies with it though like per-CD icons and stuff, and proper disk changing support, the ability to rip audio in just about any format just by accessing the audio CD as a filesystem, that sort of thing.
Looks like I just need to find 3.8 up to 3.10 now. :) I think these should probably be uploaded to the aminet now, if we can find them....
--
Ian Gledhill

Offline paul1981

« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2013, 07:29:43 PM »

Offline RCTools

• Show only replies by RCTools
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2013, 06:40:44 AM »
Quote from: spirantho;738597
Hi everybody,

Thanks if so!

Hi spirantho,

I have most the AsimCDFS versions you are asking about,
My first AsimCDFS purchase and original disk was Ver 3.7

These update disks were downloaded directly from the AsimWare Website From 1997 to 1999, they include:
Versions 3.8, 3.9, 3.9a, and 3.10.
Its been fourteen years since then, but if I'm not mistaken the were downloaded as DMS archives.

In order to use them, you are required to enter your serial number when starting the installation!

Let me know if you are still interested, and how you want them archived: DMS, ADF, Lha, etc?
I cannot remember if they have a standard boot block or not.

TTYL,
    Bob

Offline zipper

« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2013, 08:32:21 AM »
Quote from: lionstorm;738607
maybe the updates are on the FTP of EAB (down at the moment apparently) ?

The 3.9 version seems to be on the temporary EAB server  ATM.  3.10 is buried somewhere on my backup HD.

« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2013, 08:38:11 AM »
Yes, still looking for those patches, thanks for the offer!

Perhaps we could upload them to Aminet? They were originally restricted by needing the serial number, but I don't think Iomega would really care now somehow....
--
Ian Gledhill

Offline stefcep2

• Show only replies by stefcep2
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2014, 04:46:07 AM »
One thing that cache cdfs has that AsimCDFS doesn't is support for multi-volume CDR's.

Speed on my A4000 IDE is near enough the same it doesn't matter.