Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: The absolute worst commercial game for Amiga?  (Read 7620 times)

Description:

Offline DrDekker

• Show only replies by DrDekker
Re: The absolute worst commercial game for Amiga?
« Reply #59 from previous page: December 02, 2011, 12:49:34 PM »
@Paulie85 - that's it - the 'action' game.

I should have known it was going to be rubbish by virtue of the fact that the game's creator stated in a magazine (Format or CU - can't remember) that the original game had been 'stolen' sometime close to launch and that it had to recreated from 'memory' - in time for the original launch date. Couple that with sloppy controls and the fact that the terminator characters looked nothing like Arnie or Robert Patrick - due to copyright issues (?) - I should have avoided it like the plague, but I was (and still am) a big fan of the T1 & T2 films and couldn't resist.
A1200, M-Tec 1230 @28MHz, FPU, MMU, 8Mb fast ram, SCSI card, 512Mb HD, Power CDROM drive, PS2 optical mouse

Offline Disparil

• Show only replies by Disparil
« Reply #60 on: December 05, 2011, 01:35:59 PM »
Days Of Thunder was thoroughly unplayable.

I haven't tried it myself, but Legends Of Valour seemed to have nothing but brain farts and dodgy things in it. Will probably check it out some day, just for laughs :D
Amiga 1200 / Blizzard 1260 (060/50 MHz & 64 MB RAM) / Indivision AGA / Mediator / Voodoo3 3000 PCI / SB 128 / ethernet card... also 2x Amiga 500 & Amiga 600

Offline rvo_nl

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by rvo_nl
« Reply #61 on: December 05, 2011, 01:59:52 PM »
Quote from: Disparil;670297
I haven't tried it myself, but Legends Of Valour seemed to have nothing but brain farts and dodgy things in it. Will probably check it out some day, just for laughs :D

That doesnt make it the worst commercial Amiga game.. ;)

In fact, its rather good. Way above average and the 3D engine worked really well back then, especially on a 030 machine. Also it was full of fun little quests and had a huge interactive, free-roaming world. Its just like Skyrim really.
Amiga 1200 (1d4) Kickstart 3.1 (40.68), Elbox Power/Winner tower (450w psu), BlizzardPPC 603e+ @240mhz & 060 @50mhz, 256MB, Bvision, IDE-fix Express, IndivisionAGA, 120GB IDE, cd, dvd, Cocolino, Micronik Keycase, PCMCIA Ethernet, Ratte monitor switcher, Prelude1200, triple boot WB3.1 / OS3.9 / OS4.1, Win95 / MacOS8.1

Offline B00tDisk

• VIP / Donor - Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by B00tDisk
    • http://www.thedelversdungeon.com
« Reply #62 on: December 05, 2011, 02:20:17 PM »
Quote from: rvo_nl;670301
That doesnt make it the worst commercial Amiga game.. ;)

In fact, its rather good. Way above average and the 3D engine worked really well back then, especially on a 030 machine. Also it was full of fun little quests and had a huge interactive, free-roaming world. Its just like Skyrim really.

Just like Skyrim?  Hell, watch this interview with ES top developer Todd Howard:

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2011/01/13/road-to-skyrim-the-todd-howard-interview.aspx

For the linkshy (or those who can't view the videos at work) Howard cites Legends of Valour as an influence on the entire Elder Scrolls series.

Legends of Valour had variable height floors/second story buildings and "windows" well prior to the release of DOOM.  What a great old game it was!
Back away from the EU-SSR!

Offline rvo_nl

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by rvo_nl
« Reply #63 on: December 05, 2011, 02:50:49 PM »
There! Thanks for sharing that, I didnt know. Skyrim is one fantastic game.
Amiga 1200 (1d4) Kickstart 3.1 (40.68), Elbox Power/Winner tower (450w psu), BlizzardPPC 603e+ @240mhz & 060 @50mhz, 256MB, Bvision, IDE-fix Express, IndivisionAGA, 120GB IDE, cd, dvd, Cocolino, Micronik Keycase, PCMCIA Ethernet, Ratte monitor switcher, Prelude1200, triple boot WB3.1 / OS3.9 / OS4.1, Win95 / MacOS8.1

Offline B00tDisk

• VIP / Donor - Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by B00tDisk
    • http://www.thedelversdungeon.com
« Reply #64 on: December 05, 2011, 03:14:25 PM »
Quote from: rvo_nl;670304
There! Thanks for sharing that, I didnt know. Skyrim is one fantastic game.

I love it.  It really puts me back in the saddle with PC gaming.
Back away from the EU-SSR!

Offline Minuous

« Reply #65 on: December 05, 2011, 06:00:54 PM »
Quote from: Crumb;668561
I agree Vulcan games looked like bad PD-quality games. They insisted on releasing a500 floppy disk games when absolutely everyone was using hard drives, tons of fast ram, aga or rtg and accelerators. These looked like they were done with AMOS.

Heheh, that's because they actually *were* done with AMOS ;-)

I see Rise of the Robots is hated, I must disagree though. It's one of the better Amiga beat-em-ups and one of the few games I actually bought, and I still play it regularly. Admittedly the disk swapping was annoying when playing from floppy, but that's pretty much unavoidable with a 880K DD floppies, and not really a fault.

In terms of bad games, maybe the Amiga port of Armalyte would perhaps qualify as one of the worst, it's absolutely awful. So is Hostages.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2011, 06:03:58 PM by Minuous »