Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Can I build an AmigaOne with this stuff?  (Read 1349 times)

Description:

Can I build an AmigaOne with this stuff?
« on: November 08, 2002, 04:35:50 AM »
Okay, I'm thinking of picking up the SE mobo and a new case,  and I want to recycle as much hardware as I can from my PC.  
I'm trying to figure out what's compatible.  So here's what I've got:

1.44MB FDD

RAM: 2x  256MB PC133 (good thing I grabbed these when they were cheap!)

NIC:  CNET PRO200wl PCI Fast Ethernet Adaptor (even WinME didn't have drivers for it, so I'm a bit concerned)

Video:  NVIDIA GeForce 2MX PCI (GeForce is pretty common, but could the PCI thing be a problem?)

Sound:  SoundBlaster Live!

ATI TV Wonder Value (not important, but I'll use it if it works)

CD-ROM:  NEC NR-7800A CD writer

Sony USB kbrd, Microsoft Intellimouse Optical (I have ps/2 kbrd and mouse, but I'd rather not use them)

I have some other odds and ends as well, but my main concerns are the video and sound cards, the CD burner, and the NIC.  
I'm also wondering if I need a special IDE cable to use ATA100 with my current HD, I know ATA133 requries it.
So, there you have it.  Does anyone know if I'll have the correct components to build my A1 system?
Is there anything else that I need?
Any help/insight/advice is greatly appreciated.

Offline CodeSmith

• Show only replies by CodeSmith
Re: Can I build an AmigaOne with this stuff?
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2002, 05:26:47 AM »
* 1.44MB FDD
Should work just fine

* RAM: 2x 256MB PC133 (good thing I grabbed these when they were cheap!)
If they're buffered/registered fine, else you'll only be able to use one of them (anyone else have more info?)

* NIC: CNET PRO200wl PCI Fast Ethernet Adaptor (even WinME didn't have drivers for it, so I'm a bit concerned)
Unless you want 2 NICs, just use the one built into the AOne

* Video: NVIDIA GeForce 2MX PCI (GeForce is pretty common, but could the PCI thing be a problem?)
No go here.  Apparently NVidia are not keen on giving away info for their cards/chips, and don't feel like writing Amiga drivers.  There is no definite list of supported gfx cards, but the most probable are voodoo3, Permedia2/3, Radeons.  In a few days we should be hearing more.

* Sound: SoundBlaster Live!
This is also supposed to work

* ATI TV Wonder Value (not important, but I'll use it if it works)
No idea.  Anyone?

* CD-ROM: NEC NR-7800A CD writer
Probably, but don't defintely know.

* Sony USB kbrd, Microsoft Intellimouse Optical (I have ps/2 kbrd and mouse, but I'd rather not use them)
These should work too.