Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: CD32 through WinUAE  (Read 1859 times)

Description:

Offline GryfonTopic starter

CD32 through WinUAE
« on: February 04, 2003, 11:31:27 AM »
Howdy all,

I have a couple of CD32 games I'd like to run through WinUAE (latest version), I have the ROMS from Cloantos Amiga Forever, but following the guides still can't get the CD32 games to boot.  On starting emulation I get a black screen - and that's it.

Is there a step-by-step guide anywhere, or can anyone offer assistance, into how I can configure WinUAE to boot up as a CD32?  I'd be happy to write a guide, given enough help to get my own set-up running!

Regards,

Gryfon
\\"We should take off and nuke the entire site from orbit.  It's the only way to be sure.\\" Ripley, Aliens

Offline Chunder

• Show only replies by Chunder
Re: CD32 through WinUAE
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2003, 02:31:16 PM »
Um - it took me all of two minutes! As soon as I found out that Cloanto had CD32 ROMs I had to go and buy them :)

In no particular order, then (since I'm at work, and can't check!) ...

Set up a new configuration, 2Mb chip ram and nothing else.

AGA chipset, KS3.1 CD32 ROM, CD32 expansion ROM (at least that's what I think it was called).

020EC processor, fastest speed maintaining timing, no hard drives, all floppies disabled.

Configure your input so that it is for a CD32 pad (i.e set up the buttons properly!) in port 2

Ensure that UAESCSI is enabled.

Set the display mode to 640x512 (note - you'll have to manually add this to the Windows registry! Not difficult; can't remember off-hand what I did though...) with full screen and full screen RTG. Ensure that scan lines are doubled.

Save.

Play games.

Cannon Fodder worked straight away (I've never been able to play the CD32 version) as did Roadkill, Myth, and a few others.

Bubba'n'Stix played the intro, then left me with a black screen and the music.

Overkill/Lunar-C loaded the title screen, but I couldn't select anything, nor move the cursor.

I'll try and post more info when I've got a bit more time...

HTH
Pimp My Amiga  8-)

Offline Oli_hd

• Show only replies by Oli_hd
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2003, 03:18:26 PM »
Hi,

I have the ROMS from Cloantos Amiga Forever,

On starting emulation I get a black screen - and that's it.

Have you got kickstart 3.1?
Amiga Forever only has KS3.0 which will stop most CD32 programs from loading.

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2003, 06:15:01 PM »
Yup - I have 3.1 ROMS.

Thanks for the info people, will try when I get home tonight.

Regards,

Gryfon
\\"We should take off and nuke the entire site from orbit.  It's the only way to be sure.\\" Ripley, Aliens

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2003, 09:00:49 PM »
Chunder,

Thanks for your info.  Managed to get boot-up working, can hear game but can't see.  I've had a quick look under "Cloanto" in regedit, but don't really know what I need to do to create the new display mode with 512 width.  If you get time, you could you check how you did it and post up for me?   Many thanks for your help,

Gryfon.

Offline Chunder

• Show only replies by Chunder
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2003, 11:41:31 PM »
Run REGEDIT, and find the following key:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Class\Display\0000\MODES\16

Within this folder (which corresponds to the 16bit modes), I created a new key called "640,512", and for the default value, I copied the data from the 640,480 folder.

This actually sets up a new display mode available to Windows (i.e. available from the screenmode control panel), and hence all applications - such as UAE.
Not quite as straightforward as CGXMode!

I've also just realised that I've got the CD drive mounted as a harddrive - volume name=CD0, pointing to D:\, and set to read/write (probably makes no difference, I suppose).

There are two rom files that you need to use:
ROM File = kick310-cd32.rom and
Extended ROM File = ext310-cd32.rom
Both of these are available from the AmigaForever plus pack thingy from Cloanto. Only cost a tenner, too! :)

Hope that this helps! If you still get stuck, drop me a note and I'll send you the configuration file...

I'm off to play Superfrog again - what a great game :)
Pimp My Amiga  8-)

« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2003, 11:44:00 AM »
Cheers chief!  Will impement when I get home.  The CD0 set-up is something I've used before, but as it goes CD32 boots fine with the latest WinUAE, correct ROMS & uaescsi device ticked.  I got an almost full-screen working in 640 * 480.  Microcsom - what a tough game, but great to see it running again!

Thanks for all your help,

Gryfon