Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Format HD through WinUAE  (Read 1828 times)

Description:

Offline GryfonTopic starter

Format HD through WinUAE
« on: January 30, 2003, 08:42:54 PM »
Howdy all,

Does anybody know if with the new "plug an Amiga-formatted hard drive" into WinUAE compatibility, if it will allow you to take a blank or other OS-formatted hard drive and format it with emulated Amiga OS 3.9 ? I have Windows XP with a spare 3GB Hard drive and plan to plug it into the PC, then format it through OS 3.9 via WinUAE and install on my Amiga stuff onto it.

Yours hopefully,

Gryfon
\\"We should take off and nuke the entire site from orbit.  It's the only way to be sure.\\" Ripley, Aliens

Offline blobrana

• Show only replies by blobrana
    • http://mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/blobrana/home.html
Re: Format HD through WinUAE
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2003, 10:54:58 PM »
It`s fine , just do it....

------------------------------
like you say, it`s the only way to be sure....

Offline redrumloa

• Original Omega User
    • Show only replies by redrumloa
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2003, 11:01:12 PM »
Amazing!! People are asking questions I would probably ask in a day or 2, thanks for the answers to questions I havnt asked yet :-o
Someone has to state the obvious and that someone is me!

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2003, 11:42:50 PM »
Hmm...well, WinUAE comes up with a "Suspend or Reboot" error, much as I expected.  Thus is where the hard drive has been selected as a "directory" in the hard drive config tab of WinUAE. I know that if the hard drive had really just come from an Amiga that WinUAE would accept it.

I'm sure there must be a way to set-up access to the hard drive in WinUAE's setup other than as a "directory", so that at a hardware level the emulation can talk to it and allow formatting...
\\"We should take off and nuke the entire site from orbit.  It's the only way to be sure.\\" Ripley, Aliens

Offline TheMagicM

• Show only replies by TheMagicM
    • http://www.BartonekDragRacing.com
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2003, 02:37:21 PM »
why use a hardfile?  I have mine setup to a directory on the PC hd.  You can use a Amiga formatted hd (SCSI) under winuae I believe, I've just never tried it.
PowerMac G5 dual 2.0ghz/128meg Radeon/500gb HD/2GB RAM, MorphOS 3.9 registered, user #1900
Powerbook G4 5,6 1.67ghz/2gb RAM, Radeon 9700/250gb hd, MorphOS 3.9 registered #3143

« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2003, 02:55:58 PM »
Weeeellll...the plan is not to use a hardfile at all...

I want to use a properly (Amiga) formatted hard drive, as long-term I have plans to get another real Amiga which I can just transplant the drive back into.  Cloanto's readmes / list of specs say you can plug an Amiga-formatted drive into the PC.  They don't mention how to (Amiga OS) format the drive whilst in the PC.

Anyone else have any ideas?

I use directories to get by.  I want to avoid having to install / copy etc when the Miggy is back up and running.