Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Lets talk: Alien Breed  (Read 8877 times)

Description:

Offline runequesterTopic starter

• It\'s Amiga time!
    • Show only replies by runequester
Lets talk: Alien Breed
« on: November 08, 2010, 08:07:05 AM »
This series, more than anything else, really captures everything about the amiga for me.

Great graphics, the sense of playing "aliens the movie", sound effects, the haunting intro tune, the frantic two player action, the completely irreverent and obnoxious cheat codes. It was just perfect.

So lets talk about the series.

Which was your fave of the series?
Which ones have you beaten (no cheats or trainers)?
Fave weapons?

In short, talk everything Alien Breed :)

Offline AndyC

• Show only replies by AndyC
Re: Lets talk: Alien Breed
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2010, 10:08:07 AM »
I had the original special edition and the two FPS versions. I'll never forget that horrifying sense of urgency you got when the countdown started and you had to make your way to the lift!

AB3D was well designed, if somewhat lacking in the GFX department, but it whizzed along on my 060 equipped machine. Similarly, with the right combinations of settings, AB3DII-TKG was playable and enjoyable.

I never played AB2 or AB2TA but would have liked to. Regrettably I sold my Amiga last year :-( so I couldn't even if I wanted to!

AndyC
Sarah Palin... seriously?

Offline Xanxi

• Show only replies by Xanxi
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2010, 10:09:48 AM »
Alien Breed always reminds me of a guy that was at high school with me. This scam hated me because i used to beat him in science,  litterature and history and, most of all, because i had an amiga while he had a crappy Atari ST.
So, one day, at a friend place, he was here watching us playing Alien Breed, with stunning graphics and digitalized voices, and he said "you were right, amiga is better".
Jubilating!! :-) Not like Lemmings anymore.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2010, 10:19:20 AM by Xanxi »
10 Classic Amiga Computers so far: I have too many computers!!

Offline Kesa

• Ninja Fruit Slasher
    • Show only replies by Kesa
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2010, 12:08:57 PM »
I finished tower assault on the cd32. I was surprised to find it was supposed to be hard because i didn't really notice  :rolleyes:

There is an image on the back of the box. It is a rendering of an alien with a real creepy shadow behind it. But it wasn't in the game. Anyone know what this was? it's really important to me! :)

Alienbreed 3D was a pile of s**t. It reminded me of why commodore went bankrupt because their products couldn't compete with the PC equivalent - DOOM! :madashell:

Alienbreed 3D - worst amiga game ever  :pissed:
Even my cat doesn\'t like me.

Offline Zener

• Show only replies by Zener
    • http://kung-foo.dhs.org/zener/
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2010, 01:04:32 PM »
I think Alien Breed 3D is an excellent game and very funny if you install the patch that lets you play with AWSD + Mouse.

Putting aside the blocky graphics it's a solid FPS, very well designed. I hope one day we can have an AB3D port with higher resolution.

AB3D2 has better resolution but the game is worse. And the 2D Alien Breeds are very good in any sense, but too difficult for most players.

Offline jj

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by jj
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2010, 01:05:37 PM »
There was also features listed on the back of the Alien Breed 3D box that were not in the final game.  Actually rang Team17 to ask wtf? and they just said sorry boxes were printed before game finalised.
“We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” - George Bernard Shaw

Xbox Live: S0ulA55a551n2

Registered MorphsOS 3.13 user on Powerbook G4 15"

Offline Franko

• Show only replies by Franko
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2010, 02:21:32 PM »
Quote from: Kesa;590289

I actually did & still do enjoy playing AlienBreed 3D every now and then... :)

Offline Karlos

• Sockologist
  • Global Moderator
    • Show only replies by Karlos
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2010, 02:25:10 PM »
Quote from: Kesa;590289
Alienbreed 3D was a pile of s**t. It reminded me of why commodore went bankrupt because their products couldn't compete with the PC equivalent - DOOM! :madashell:

Well you can just go and boil your head because I thought it was a great game. Sure it was very low res, but it had far better and more tense atmosphere than Doom and all of the other amiga "doom clones" put together.

Oh, and whilst were at it, despite the resolution, engine-feature wise it was more than a match for Doom. Split level zones, transparency, refraction effects, shaded lighting, pseudo 12-bit RGB (4096 colours) etc. At the same resolution as Doom it could have looked awesome, but alas it was not to be.

Getting all this out of a basic A1200 with FastRAM at a playable speed (and I played it on that config) was seriously impressive.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2010, 02:31:31 PM by Karlos »
int p; // A

Offline JGB

• Show only replies by JGB
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2010, 02:40:55 PM »
I never played the predecessors, but AB3D was one of my favorites.  Although the graphics were pretty lo-def, it made excellent use of sound, which heightened the anticipation of whatever nasty was lurking around the corner.  Lots of good puzzles to solve.  Sadly, I never got past the big room at the bottom of the last level and only got that far about half a dozen times (WAY too many baddies in that room for the remaining ammo, etc. by the time you get there!).  This is a game that would have benefitted from mid level saves.
I, also, would love to see a modern version with updated graphics.  Sadly, it seems (as I have read) that even though the code was released, it was such a jumble that no one has been able to sort it out and build it better.

AD3D2 was not as much fun to play.  it just lacked the feel and anticipation and dread.

Offline Franko

« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2010, 03:10:12 PM »
On the subject of games, while I have in my collection from one source or another just about every game ever written for the Amiga, the most annoying and dumbest thing ever imho, was the advent of 'trainers' that the cracking scene put into games. :(

I mean how on earth can you have a "trainer" for a game, it defeats the whole challenge and purpose of playing the game in the first place, you'd be as well just formatting the floppy on which it came and asking someone, what happened at the end of that game. :rolleyes:

While these days I appreciate the cracking crews making it easy for old amiga games to be collected and preserved in ADF or DMS format, I just wish they hadn't put in those so called 'trainers' that I've had to spend over a decade removing from them... :furious:

If you have to cheat at a game to play it then your missing the point of playing it in the first place... :)

Offline tone007

« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2010, 03:16:14 PM »
Quote from: Franko;590314
If you have to cheat at a game to play it then your missing the point of playing it in the first place... :)

They did it for people like me who suck at games, though I just tend to not play them for that reason.
3 Commodore file cabinets, 2 Commodore USB turntables, 1 AmigaWorld beer mug
Alienware M14x i7 laptop running AmigaForever

Offline Franko

« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2010, 03:21:29 PM »
Quote from: tone007;590316
They did it for people like me who suck at games, though I just tend to not play them for that reason.

Being crap at playing a game is no excuse, you just need to try harder... :biglaugh:

Or better and more interesting still is do what I do and write WHDLoad slave files for them, sometimes it's actually better than playing the game... :)

Offline jj

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by jj
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2010, 03:59:52 PM »
I agree franko,  It used to bug me computer and games magazines printing cheats.

I don't cheat at games because I really don't see the point either.
“We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” - George Bernard Shaw

Xbox Live: S0ulA55a551n2

Registered MorphsOS 3.13 user on Powerbook G4 15"

Offline tone007

« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2010, 04:39:07 PM »
Quote from: runequester;590265
the sense of playing "aliens the movie"

When I want the sense of playing Aliens, there's nothing that beats this! http://www.lemon64.com/games/details.php?ID=87
3 Commodore file cabinets, 2 Commodore USB turntables, 1 AmigaWorld beer mug
Alienware M14x i7 laptop running AmigaForever

Offline runequesterTopic starter

• It\'s Amiga time!
    • Show only replies by runequester
« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2010, 04:57:59 PM »
I dug Alien Breed 3D.

As far as Commodore going bankrupt because of Doom... seriously ?
Doom came out in the very end of 93. Dave Haynie has made it pretty clear in interviews that at that point, Commodore was beyond rescue.