Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Changing kickstart rom disk insert image & other stuff  (Read 4929 times)

Description:

Offline GulliverTopic starter

Changing kickstart rom disk insert image & other stuff
« on: October 08, 2009, 11:16:23 PM »
Hi, i hope someone can help me over here, probably someone with a deep knowledge of AmigaOS.

The story goes like this: I have already, with the help of Remus and Romsplit, built my own Amiga 1200 kickstart rom which involves basically kickstart 3.1 v40.68 (A1200) with AmigaOS 3.9 Boing Bag #2 rom update plus some other stuff. It works like a charm but then, as it is a custom kickstart rom, i decided to change some version string and copyright messages with an hex editor. No problem, but i then came to a point where my humble knowledge fails and i truly require help!

So this is what i would need to know:

1-Which hex values do i have to change in exec.library v45.057 so that i can change in the kickstart rom disk insert animation screen the colors of fonts and background

2-Can the floppy insert animation be changed to something else, custom made (That would be so cool!)

3- Can the Amiga tick logo be changed? How?

4- Could the entire screen be modded? How?

I hope there are still talented hackers who would enjoy this challenge!

PS: Dream mode: It would be great if instructions for these mods are provided for the different 3.1 kickstart rom versions out there, and the 3.5 & 3.9 updates!

Offline matthey

• Show only replies by matthey
Re: Changing kickstart rom disk insert image & other stuff
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2009, 01:16:51 AM »
I don't know of any such tool. There are people that could do it but they would disassemble the whole exec.library, make the changes and assemble it again. They would probably want to make more important changes than some visuals though ;). Why do you use exec.library v45.057? I believe the latest one from AmigaOS 3.9 BB2 is 45.20.

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2009, 01:40:45 AM »
I am sorry i meant exec 45.20 (45.057 is the kick version when rom is updated with boing bag 2). They dont need to dissassemble the entire exec, just trace the code to where it draws that disk insert screen and then create a patch to change the visuals!

Hopefully someone may be able to do it!

Offline Piru

• \' union select name,pwd--
    • Show only replies by Piru
    • http://www.iki.fi/sintonen/
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2009, 06:21:56 AM »
Quote from: Gulliver;525152
Hi, i hope someone can help me over here, probably someone with a deep knowledge of AmigaOS.

The story goes like this: I have already, with the help of Remus and Romsplit, built my own Amiga 1200 kickstart rom which involves basically kickstart 3.1 v40.68 (A1200) with AmigaOS 3.9 Boing Bag #2 rom update plus some other stuff. It works like a charm but then, as it is a custom kickstart rom, i decided to change some version string and copyright messages with an hex editor. No problem, but i then came to a point where my humble knowledge fails and i truly require help!

So this is what i would need to know:

1-Which hex values do i have to change in exec.library v45.057 so that i can change in the kickstart rom disk insert animation screen the colors of fonts and background

2-Can the floppy insert animation be changed to something else, custom made (That would be so cool!)

3- Can the Amiga tick logo be changed? How?

4- Could the entire screen be modded? How?

I hope there are still talented hackers who would enjoy this challenge!

PS: Dream mode: It would be great if instructions for these mods are provided for the different 3.1 kickstart rom versions out there, and the 3.5 & 3.9 updates!

You need to look into 'strap' module. It does all the animation and waiting for the floppy / PCMCIA bootable media.

The animation is a "script" of different kind of operations to perform. In order to replace it you need to write your own script or modify the existing one. I actually reimplemented a replacement strap module at some point. I could try locating it (it's possible I longer have the src however).

There are people that could do it but they would disassemble the whole exec.library, make the changes and assemble it again.
exec has nothing to do with the insert floppy animation.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2009, 06:24:16 AM by Piru »

« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2009, 08:04:57 AM »
@piru

Wow, thanks, i knew it somehow could be made, i thought it was in exec.library itself. Please try to find out where your strap module is, of course if you even supply the source code and the binary file, it would be great!

Offline Tajmaster

• Show only replies by Tajmaster
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2009, 08:56:15 AM »
Quote from: Piru;525191
You need to look into 'strap' module. It does all the animation and waiting for the floppy / PCMCIA bootable media.

The animation is a "script" of different kind of operations to perform. In order to replace it you need to write your own script or modify the existing one. I actually reimplemented a replacement strap module at some point. I could try locating it (it's possible I longer have the src however).

exec has nothing to do with the insert floppy animation.

Piru's depth of knowledge never ceases to amaze me! My god dude, you must be like a living Commander Data ;)
==================
Amiga 4000/040 25Mhz - 18MB Ram-HDD-CDRW- Picasso 2 2MB GFX OS3.9
Amiga 2000/030 25Mhz - 10MB Ram - GVP HC+8 with HDD and CDROM OS3.1 and a DKB MEGAChip
Amiga 1200/030 50Mhz - 18MB Ram - CF>IDE OS3.1 Squirrel SCSI
A500+ 000/7Mhz - 4MB Ram GVP HD+ SCSI w/40MB HDD (WOW!!)
Plus a "few" more ;) hehe
==================