Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Windows fudges it again  (Read 5977 times)

Description:

Offline bloodline

• Master Sock Abuser
    • Show only replies by bloodline
    • http://www.troubled-mind.com
Re: Windows fudges it again
« Reply #44 from previous page: November 27, 2010, 04:17:41 PM »
Quote from: Karlos;594738
No time. Will this do?

Btw, photoshop? What do you think I am, a graphic designer or summat? :lol:
Photoshopping the verb, not the application ;)

Offline Arkhan

• Show only replies by Arkhan
    • http://www.aetherbyte.com
« Reply #45 on: November 27, 2010, 06:07:06 PM »
Quote from: Fats;594685
What NASA needs is anything but state-of-the-art. For mission critical projects they will only use parts that are made with a stable process and that has proven their reliability over time. They won't use the latest, greatest multi-core CPU.

AFAIK you are not an astronaut so you won't need to quit. When you would be an astronaut you would know that you have to use the equipment they provide to you and that it would be tested in-depth to be sure it fulfills the military specs.

greets,
Staf.

You ever been in their research labs and crap?  They're not exactly using vintage equipment...some of it may be a few years old, but its still "new".

Alot of the things done at NASA are using state of the art gear.  Maybe the probes aren't, but a tonnnnnnnnnn of stuff is.  Go there and see for yourself, they give frigging tours of some of the research places ffs.

same with the government itself.  You think they're running the country on some VIC-20's or something?  No.  They aren't.

Quote from: Speelgoedmannetje
QFSPE

(Quoted For Stupidest Post Ever)

How so?  If all you are going to do is quote it and say its stupid without a reason, then well, you're stupid and don't know what you're talking about.

Some of it was exaggerated for effect, and if you missed that well... then.. yet again, you're stupid, and don't know what you're talking about.
I am a negative, rude, prick.  

"Aetherbyte: My fledgling game studio!":  << Probably not coming to an Amiga near you because you all suck! :roflmao:

Offline Fats

• Show only replies by Fats
« Reply #46 on: November 28, 2010, 02:48:24 PM »
Quote from: Arkhan;594760
You ever been in their research labs and crap?  They're not exactly using vintage equipment...some of it may be a few years old, but its still "new".

Alot of the things done at NASA are using state of the art gear.  Maybe the probes aren't, but a tonnnnnnnnnn of stuff is.  Go there and see for yourself, they give frigging tours of some of the research places ffs.

I was talking about the stuff they send into space not the compute equipment on the ground, e.g. the stuff an astronaut has to work with. For the latter they use the most cost effective, e.g. state-of-the-art equipment.

I live in Europe and did not have much contact with NASA. I am doing radiation hardened chip design for ESA (the European counterpart) though. We use 0.18um technology, not really state-of-the-art.

greets,
Staf.
Trust me...                                              I know what I\'m doing

Offline kedawa

• Show only replies by kedawa
« Reply #47 on: November 28, 2010, 06:57:49 PM »
Quote from: psxphill;594663
Isn't it hypocritical to put a modern huge hard drive in an amiga to allow you store audio in an inefficient format? If using modern hardware in a PC is so bad.

I never said anything about PCs being bad.  Use whatever you want.
As for raw bitstream audio being inefficient, that's just not correct.  It's the most computationally efficient way to do it, not to mention the best quality.
Storage is so cheap now that I can't understand why anyone would bother with compressed music on anything other than portable devices.

Offline psxphill

« Reply #48 on: November 28, 2010, 07:10:34 PM »
Quote from: kedawa;595042
Storage is so cheap now that I can't understand why anyone would bother with compressed music on anything other than portable devices.

Fast processors are so cheap that nobody bothers to write highly optimised code these days.

Offline nicholas

« Reply #49 on: November 28, 2010, 09:08:17 PM »
Quote from: Karlos;594727
Don't worry, I expect we'll have wiped ourselves out with an all-out global thermonuclear war and concurrent release of doomsday biological / chemical agents long before any of that happens.

In spite of which, life itself will go on. In the glacial, radioactive wasteland that ensue, deinococcus radiodurans will almost certainly live on along with a range of other unusually hardy organisms. After the dirt laden skies eventually clear, photosynthesis will pick up again. At least in those organisms that can withstand the new UV rich daylight. And in the hundreds of millions of years it takes sapient life to develop, you, I and the rest of the complex life that once inhabited the planet should have formed a nice new hydrocarbon resource for them to wipe themselves out over too...

On the last day nothing will survive.
“Een rezhim-i eshghalgar-i Quds bayad az sahneh-i ruzgar mahv shaved.” - Imam Ayatollah Sayyed  Ruhollah Khomeini

Offline nicholas

« Reply #50 on: November 28, 2010, 09:08:47 PM »
Quote from: psxphill;595050
Fast processors are so cheap that nobody bothers to write highly optimised code these days.

Speak for yourself!
“Een rezhim-i eshghalgar-i Quds bayad az sahneh-i ruzgar mahv shaved.” - Imam Ayatollah Sayyed  Ruhollah Khomeini

Offline Arkhan

« Reply #51 on: November 29, 2010, 12:53:26 AM »
Quote from: Fats;595000
I was talking about the stuff they send into space not the compute equipment on the ground, e.g. the stuff an astronaut has to work with. For the latter they use the most cost effective, e.g. state-of-the-art equipment.

I live in Europe and did not have much contact with NASA. I am doing radiation hardened chip design for ESA (the European counterpart) though. We use 0.18um technology, not really state-of-the-art.

greets,
Staf.

oh, I was talking about all the stuff in the research center like 10 minutes from my house.

"Aetherbyte: My fledgling game studio!":  << Probably not coming to an Amiga near you because you all suck! :roflmao:

Offline motrucker

« Reply #52 on: November 29, 2010, 01:46:40 AM »
Quote from: psxphill;595050

HUH?  You obviously haven't priced the latest Intel OR AMD CPUs!  I also think you missed the mark with your comment about code. There are still some programmers who write very tight code, and are damned proud of it.
A2000 GVP 40MHz \'030, 21Mb RAM SD/FF, 2 floppies, internal CD-ROM drive, micromys v3 w/laser mouse
A1000 Microbotics Starboard II w/2Mb 1080, & external floppy (AIRdrive)
C-128 w/1571, 1750, & Final Cartridge III+

Offline kedawa

« Reply #53 on: November 29, 2010, 01:47:30 AM »
Quote from: Arkhan;595136
oh, I was talking about all the stuff in the research center like 10 minutes from my house.

...where you hang out all the time to tell them what's what and sing the virtues of the PC Engine, amirite?

Offline Arkhan

« Reply #54 on: November 29, 2010, 03:01:00 AM »
Quote from: kedawa;595147
...where you hang out all the time to tell them what's what and sing the virtues of the PC Engine, amirite?

where I had an internship, toured like 20 times, and have family that works there you mean?

uamrong.

Offline kedawa

« Reply #55 on: November 29, 2010, 06:41:52 AM »
How's the food there?

Offline Arkhan

« Reply #56 on: November 30, 2010, 01:36:04 AM »
Quote from: kedawa;595197
How's the food there?

aeronautic.

Offline tone007

« Reply #57 on: November 30, 2010, 01:54:45 AM »

Mmm, Windows fudge.
3 Commodore file cabinets, 2 Commodore USB turntables, 1 AmigaWorld beer mug
Alienware M14x i7 laptop running AmigaForever

Offline Lurch

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by Lurch
« Reply #58 on: November 30, 2010, 07:18:19 AM »
I usually just read, not really a big poster. But after reading this thread it appears some people are still stuck in the 80's/90's...

The Amiga is a great machine but to me it's just a hobby now. Working in a defence environment vintage tech would prove to be a big mistake.

If I could rewind time back to being a kid with my Amiga/C64 I would but in the real world time moves on.
-=[LurcH]=-
A500 Plus Black 030@40MHz 128MB | A1200T 060@80MHz 320MB | Pegasos II G4@1GHz 1GB  | Amiga Future Sub

Offline Arkhan

« Reply #59 on: November 30, 2010, 02:10:55 PM »
Quote from: lurch;595481
i usually just read, not really a big poster. But after reading this thread it appears some people are still stuck in the 80's/90's...

The amiga is a great machine but to me it's just a hobby now. Working in a defence environment vintage tech would prove to be a big mistake.

If i could rewind time back to being a kid with my amiga/c64 i would but in the real world time moves on.

fire the agnus missiles!  The enemy ships are inbound.

We cant sir.  The amiga is out of ram and the accelerator just blew out.

fall back on the breadbin defense mechanisms!!!!!

sir, we cant! The 1541 is misaligned and the program wont load, and hopkins just tripped and unplugged the supercpu.  Its prolly broke now.

fools, what about the vic 20 shield pods?

sir, now youre just talking stupid.