Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: faster is better  (Read 951 times)

Description:

Offline melottTopic starter

• Show only replies by melott
faster is better
« on: December 20, 2002, 07:02:03 PM »
I'm sure this won't work, something to do with timing.  I see Software Hut is selling 030 processors
for about $60. I can't just plug one of these 50mhz
chips into my A3000 and expect it to work, can I ???
I would also like to up-grade the GFX.
How can I get more speed & gfx for a reasonable
price??
I'm retired on a fixed income and can't afford the big
bucks they used to charge for these items.
Any suggestions ??

The FAMOUS
Mel Ott  (not ;-)
Stealth ONE  8-)

Offline Stew

• Show only replies by Stew
Re: faster is better
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2002, 07:23:27 PM »
Look on ebay for a cheap 040 card. There are some cheap ones out there now. If you see an A3640 be carefukl not all rev work with every dmac.

Offline tonyw

• Show only replies by tonyw
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2002, 04:49:39 AM »
The "50 MHz" means that it can run at up to 50 MHz. If you plug it into a socket fed by a 25 MHz clock, it'll run just fine - at 25 MHz. You would have to change the processor crystal oscillator and other stuff to make it go faster. Problem is that the bus and video timing are interconnected and have to stay at the old speed.

Sorry that I'm ignorant about 3000 hardware, so I can't be more specific on what else is required.

Like the man said, an upgrade is easier. So is a 600 MHz G3 - you could even fit the mobo in your case.

tony

Offline Ilwrath

« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2002, 05:15:28 AM »
I'm sure this won't work, something to do with timing. I see Software Hut is selling 030 processors for about $60. I can't just plug one of these 50mhz chips into my A3000 and expect it to work, can I ???

No... that's not going to work very well.  As stated, a processor only runs at the speed (frequency) it's fed through the crystal (oscillator).  If you change the oscillator on your 3000, you'll put all the rest of the chipset out of whack.  However, the A3000 may have a half-refresh line which you could jumper to the '030.  (If not, you may be able to set up a 50mhz oscillator and attach something to step it down 1/2 to the bus to generate the 25mhz signal for that).  You may want to consult Aminet for the hacks on how to put a 14mhz 68010 in an A500.  Same principle at work here.  There may be additional problems you'd run into on the A3000, though.  I'm not an electrical engineer or really qualified to be handing out theoretical info on the workings of it, just to the best of my understanding of one simple electronics course, and some trial and error.

One word of warning - I don't remember hearing of anyone attempt this modification.  This may be because people smarter than me have found a more serious problem with my logic here.

Offline Castellen

« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2002, 05:20:36 AM »
I would imagine the CPUs sold by Software Hut will be the plug-inable
PGA (pin grid array) type, while the A3000 has a QFP (quad flat pack)
soldered onto the board.

But to answer your question, if you did replace the 25MHz with a
compatibe 50MHz one, and you changed the oscillator for a 50MHz
version, then yes, it should run, and perform a lot better all round.

I'd also recommend getting an A3640 card.  You'd just have to get a
revision which works correctly in the A3000.