Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Strange SD card issues if formatted in Windows 10  (Read 457 times)

Description:

Offline 10MARCTopic starter

Strange SD card issues if formatted in Windows 10
« on: April 14, 2020, 04:53:56 AM »
I have a Classic 520 Accelerator card, which is awesome, but I have noticed that my SD cards in the Aux slot have been reporting bad sectors. I erase them and reformat them in Windows 10 (Using diskpart to clean the drive and an SD card formatting utility to format them. I have tried anything from 256MB to 4 Gig cards (four of them) and all had the same issues. The cards did work for the first few months.
Just this weekend I found a 512MB card in my old Palm Zire 72, stuck it in, and have been able to move files on and off the card with zero issues...
Which brings me to a theory that I have been contemplating - Does Windows 10 do something funky to these cards, even when erased with Diskpart and formatted with a different utility, that kills them when used with Amiga's using the Fat95 drivers? (of course they are always formatted Fat32)
In earlier version of Windows 10 I had no issues. I have used cards in many devices. Maybe it is something new and funky with the latest Windows 10 release?
My next test will be to diskpart and format my old cards on my old Windows 8 laptop and see if I can use the old cards.

Offline Speelgoedmannetje

• Show only replies by Speelgoedmannetje
Re: Strange SD card issues if formatted in Windows 10
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2020, 01:08:40 PM »
Did you make use of the official sd card formatting utility? From here: https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter/

I know from experience that sd cards are very vulnerable to many writes. And modern software doesn't care about that; it really likes to make use of the disk, and with that, write like crazy.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2020, 01:12:09 PM by Speelgoedmannetje »
And the canary said: \'chirp\'

Offline 10MARCTopic starter

Re: Strange SD card issues if formatted in Windows 10
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2020, 05:27:18 PM »
Did you make use of the official sd card formatting utility? From here: https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter/

I know from experience that sd cards are very vulnerable to many writes. And modern software doesn't care about that; it really likes to make use of the disk, and with that, write like crazy.

You bet... the official one. Most of the SD cards were either new, or known to be just fine in other devices.