Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Zorro cards not recognized until A4000/Warp Engine "Warms up..."?  (Read 1663 times)

Description:

Offline 10MARCTopic starter

I have an odd issue. My A4000 has a Macrosystems Warp Engine with a 68060 mod on it, SCSI and 128 MB of RAM.
When I cold boot it in the morning, it will not see any Zorro cards at all - (I can tell because it has RTG Graphics). Showconfig will show the Macrosystems card, but not my Retina, AD516, XSurf 100 or V-Lab card. The interesting thing is if I leave it on for 5 or 10 minutes, and then reboot, all the cards show up, and the computer works great for the rest of the day! Even if I reboot, or power cycle it, ZORRO works just dandy.

My first thought was my motherboard, so I replaced it (Sending my first in for recapping) - Same symptoms on a new motherboard and a different ZORRO backplane. Both motherboards have the very latest revisions of all chips.

I have no recollection if this was happening when my Macrosystems Warpengine had the 68040/40 Mhz in it, so it leads me to believe that it is the 68060 mod causing the issue? But then why would it work perfect after "Warming up"? 

I could understand if there was some timing issue causing the problem, so i enabled "boot delay" on the WarpEngine (10 second delay to let Hard Drive spin up) - Same thing in the morning.

Just as a side note - The Amiga works fine when it does not see the Zorro cards - no issues or strange crashes, just no ZORRO...

Has anyone seen these symptoms with other 68060 mods? (Mine is the one from TBTORRO on Amibay)

Offline davideo

• Show only replies by davideo
Re: Zorro cards not recognized until A4000/Warp Engine "Warms up..."?
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2020, 09:01:32 PM »
I've got a non upgraded Warp Engine 040 with 128MB RAM.

Also got a PIV with a Kickflash.

I get the odd problem with my system not booting correctly if the SCSI HD can't be found for whatever reason.

Have you tried cold booting with an IDE boot drive?

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2020, 10:32:31 PM »
That is an interesting thought... That is why I set the 10 second boot delay (even though I am using a SCSI2SC V 6) - To give the Amiga time to recognize everything. Good idea!

Offline davideo

• Show only replies by davideo
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2020, 11:47:52 PM »
Yes I've got a SCSI2SD V6 on my WE.

I've had a few problems getting it to boot reliably but with an IDE HD connected it seems to boot ok off the SCSI2SD

Offline midway

• Show only replies by midway
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2020, 03:33:48 AM »
I remember having had the same problem in a towered 4000D with a second party ZORRO busboard, i think it was an eagle busboard. I thought it might have been the caps.

Now I have the 68060 upgraded different warpengine, from staccu poland.

That one doesnt like the picasso 4, endless resetting.

When no scsi harddisk connected it doesnt boot.
Otherwise its rockstable and super fast with a uwscsi hd.
What Rom do you use? What 68060 libraries.do you use?

« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2020, 12:52:01 AM »
Midway, thanks for the response! I thought it was my Cybergraphx 64 card at first, so I swapped it for my Retina card and same results. I am using the official Amiga OS 3.1.4 ROMS and the 68060 library from the guy who posts them here on Amiga.org... can't remember his name!
I would happily suspect it was the library, bit when it acts up, even looking for the boards from the early boot menu only shows the Warp Engine.
Sounds like your situation was similar... Maybe it is a compatibility issue with the WarpEngine and the 68060. Maybe it hates being overclocked...
What is frustrating is how well it works after the darn thing warms up! It's like there never was a problem once it finally recognizes ZORRO

Offline midway

« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2020, 01:03:12 AM »
Maybe its the warpengine. Did you look if its caps look good? I had a similar problem once in a tekmagic 68060 for the 2000, after a few minutes it was rocksolid but until then repeating gurus.

Could you forward me the library set you use? The set I use keeps crashing cygnus with 3.1.4 and I can even boot the 3.1.4 disks, crashes when clicking on disks when trying to open them on workbench. :(

Offline sandpiper

• Show only replies by sandpiper
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2020, 02:52:49 PM »
I have an odd issue. My A4000 has a Macrosystems Warp Engine with a 68060 mod on it, SCSI and 128 MB of RAM.
When I cold boot it in the morning, it will not see any Zorro cards at all - (I can tell because it has RTG Graphics). Showconfig will show the Macrosystems card, but not my Retina, AD516, XSurf 100 or V-Lab card. The interesting thing is if I leave it on for 5 or 10 minutes, and then reboot, all the cards show up, and the computer works great for the rest of the day! Even if I reboot, or power cycle it, ZORRO works just dandy.

I have a similar problem with an A4000 that has an unmodified 040 WarpEngine. My A4000 had been in storage for a few years and when I re-started it, none of the Zorro cards could be seen by the system; X-Surf with Subway on clockport, CyberVision64/3D. The Zorro problem in my case persists, and the cards never do show up after warm-up. I never did figure it out and eventually put the machine back in the closet. Maybe I'll have a look again and remove the WarpEngine and see if that is the culprit.

« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2020, 05:33:03 PM »

I have a similar problem with an A4000 that has an unmodified 040 WarpEngine. My A4000 had been in storage for a few years and when I re-started it, none of the Zorro cards could be seen by the system; X-Surf with Subway on clockport, CyberVision64/3D. The Zorro problem in my case persists, and the cards never do show up after warm-up. I never did figure it out and eventually put the machine back in the closet. Maybe I'll have a look again and remove the WarpEngine and see if that is the culprit.

Oh now that is interesting... It would be worth it to get it out of the closet again and check it out. Do you still have your original A3640 card? Or was this one of the 68030 CR versions of the A4000? Maybe it is some kind of issue with the WarpEngine in general.

Offline sandpiper

• Show only replies by sandpiper
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2020, 08:38:08 PM »
Oh now that is interesting... It would be worth it to get it out of the closet again and check it out. Do you still have your original A3640 card? Or was this one of the 68030 CR versions of the A4000? Maybe it is some kind of issue with the WarpEngine in general.

Tried it today. Replaced the WarpEngine with the original '030 Daughtercard. No dice. Same issue. I also pulled out all the Zorro cards (again) and placed them in different slots, different order etc. It was worth a shot.

« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2020, 03:37:34 PM »

Tried it today. Replaced the WarpEngine with the original '030 Daughtercard. No dice. Same issue. I also pulled out all the Zorro cards (again) and placed them in different slots, different order etc. It was worth a shot.

That sounds like a more serious problem than mine with your Amiga Motherboard. I would wager it is repairable, though, and certainly worth it!

Offline midway

« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2020, 12:57:01 AM »
Maybe the caps on the daughterboard have gotten old ?

« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2020, 05:35:50 PM »
Maybe the caps on the daughterboard have gotten old ?

That certainly is possible. I tried two daughterboards with the exact same results - but both daughterboards could have bad caps for that matter.