Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: realtime.library usage?  (Read 1809 times)

Description:

Offline trilobyteTopic starter

• Show only replies by trilobyte
    • http://aaack.org
realtime.library usage?
« on: April 02, 2017, 08:21:12 PM »
Hi,

realtime.library in OS 3.1 seems interesting for multimedia and syncronization between different apps.  I'm curious though which apps might have actually used it.

I've used Sunrize in sync with Bars n Pipes but I don't know if that used realtime.library.  Scala MM300 can sync to MIDI Time Code but I'm not sure that uses realtime.library either (probably not because it requires exclusive access to the MIDI adapter).

Anyone know any apps which use realtime.library?  Or any sample code?

Thanks
Amiga user since \'96, when I could finally afford one
Commodore 8-bit since before I could tie my shoes

Offline Matt_H

Re: realtime.library usage?
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2017, 09:10:51 PM »
It's very closely related to camd.library - they were usually distributed together. Maybe check those developer docs?

Offline trilobyteTopic starter

• Show only replies by trilobyte
    • http://aaack.org
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2017, 09:14:08 PM »
Quote from: Matt_H;824102
It's very closely related to camd.library - they were usually distributed together. Maybe check those developer docs?

Interesting that realtime.library was distributed with OS 3.1 but camd.library wasn't.  Still wonder what may have used it that made it seem important enough to bundle with the OS (without CAMD).
Amiga user since \'96, when I could finally afford one
Commodore 8-bit since before I could tie my shoes

Offline Gulliver

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2017, 11:15:33 PM »
As far as I know, camd.library was only used for MIDI. The Amiga by default, doesnt come with any midi port (unlike the Atari ST line). Most Amiga MIDI expansions took advantage of the serial port to implement it. So it was a reasonable choice not to include it in the OS.

In the case of realtime.library, what I understand, is that it is basically an abstraction layer to the system timers and alarm services. Most Amiga developers just banged the hardware instead of using this library, but it was put there to provide a standarised way to make use of these resources in a friendly OS way. A few sequencers, animation and video playback programs use this library.

So the desition to include realtime.library and not camd.library was in my point of view pretty reasonable after all.