Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Decissions, Decissions... *sigh*  (Read 1913 times)

Description:

Offline kubyxTopic starter

• Show only replies by kubyx
    • http://www.amigatoday.com
Decissions, Decissions... *sigh*
« on: November 08, 2002, 04:44:56 AM »
My current PC is "state of the art" - AMD XP 2100+ CPU, 256megs 333Mhz DDR RAM, GeForce4 Ti 4600, etc.

Now my dilema is this, should I go all the way Amiga?

This is what has accured to me recently... and here is how I personally feel.

My Amiga 1200 + Blizzard 1260 + 32meg RAM system can do as much as my PC (listed above)... other than play "modern day" games of course. However I have consoles to play games on, also most PC games of today are released side-by-side with the consoles.

My Commodore 128D (once souped up with JiffyDOS, and SuperCPU + Wheels & The Wave) can do what my PC does.

My Macintosh 5260/120 - 120Mhz PowerPC computer, can do what my PC does also.

My decission (dilema) is should I sell my current PC, and upgrade my other 3 computers to better specs, then use my Amiga as my main computer, or should I just keep my current PC?

Personally i'd love to use my Amiga for my everyday computing, I mean... why should I use a "bragging rights" computer, when I should be using the computer(s) I really and truely love?

Computers now adays are so bogus it's not funny, they are purely for bragging rights only. Not to mention, trapped in a Microsoft world.

Commodore lead the way into computers, Amiga and Atari computers lead the way into true multimedia, Macs (Performa line(?)) was a mix of both generations, and should have stopped there, but look at it now, PC's not only are crap (too many bottlenecks in the architecture), but it's now for bragging rights only, and the PC market is literally a vaccume for money.

I'd rather spend my money on "true" computer(s) than the "wannabe" ones of today.

What is you all's opinion(s) on what I should do?
Amiga Today - http://www.amigatoday.com

Amiga A1200, Blizzard 1260 060@50Mhz, 32mb Fast Ram, 250Meg hard drive, Squirrel SCSI, 4x CD-ROM, Magnvox 80 column monitor, ZOOM 56k modem, Amiga OS 3.5

Offline Damion

Re: Decissions, Decissions... *sigh*
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2002, 05:05:25 AM »
 Well, I agree. Despite all the talk of 'rotting corpses' and other such B.S, I came back to the Amiga after our brand new Athlon + WinME crashed every day at least five times and had a rough time managing a floppy disk save and 'music match jukebox' at the same time.
 After using this 'modern technology', I was surprised at how well the old A1200 performed with just 2megs and a hard drive, let alone the other upgrades I later bought.
 There are definately advantages to all of those systems you mentioned, but if I had to pick one for daily use it would definately be the Amiga. I can't recall the times lately I've wanted to shoot our stupid PC because it can't even boot it's own OS without crashing at times, while the Amiga is *usually* seamless and fun! Oh, and my 66mhz 1200 boots OS3.9 so much faster than this 1ghz+ Athlon boots WinME...what a complete joke! Actually, the 14mhz still booted up way faster...
 I know the PC hardware is great, but MS just kills it for me.
 Which brings up another point, maybe you could run AOS on your PC? That sounds like an interesting thing. You could get most of the benefits of both platforms while taking advantage of some faster hardware.
 Just my thoughts...

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2002, 03:19:10 PM »
I run Linux on my PC. :-)

Amiga A1200, Blizzard 1260 060@50Mhz, 32mb Fast Ram, 250Meg hard drive, Squirrel SCSI, 4x CD-ROM, Magnvox 80 column monitor, ZOOM 56k modem, Amiga OS 3.5

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2002, 03:34:59 PM »
My current PC is "state of the art" - AMD XP 2100+ CPU, 256megs 333Mhz DDR RAM, GeForce4 Ti 4600, etc.

Sounds like you've got a nice(r) X-Box, and probably only slightly heavier than one.  No harm in using it strictly as a gaming platform, or even using Linux and WineX.  Other than that, keep it for AROS and Amithlon, unless you need the cash.  Too bad none of the components in there can go on your AOne.

Offline Kay

• Show only replies by Kay
    • http://www.stud.ntnu.no/~kayare
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2002, 04:17:50 PM »
> Now my dilema is this, should I go all the way Amiga?

Well, it depends on two things, I think: Can you afford both, and how much would you miss your PC?

I've always been all Amiga. My main gaming system is a PS2 these days, but for everything else, I've used my Amiga. And with the AmigaOne, I will be able to continue doing that, thanks to the added power and the possibility to run LinuxPPC properly.

So, I'd go all Amiga, although there's nothing wrong with keeping your PC if you like it and can afford having both. If it is Linux you use your PC for, I guess an AmigaOne would render it kind of redundant.

Kay

Offline Paul_Gadd

• Show only replies by Paul_Gadd
    • http://elunatic.host.sk/start.html
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2002, 04:58:10 PM »
WinME crashed every day at least five times

WinME is a joke, installing that piece of crap on any machine just acts like a bad virus, no wonder you get loads of crashes, ME should have never been released as it is just a bug ridden infested joke,

Go for something like Win2K pro,

@kubyx

If you happy with your current amiga software and dont want to purchase more amiga hardware then give Amithlon a bash.

Offline Crispy_Beef

• Show only replies by Crispy_Beef
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2002, 04:58:56 PM »
@Kay

Same here.  Currenty I'm using a WinTel laptop, which I will probably keep for Windows stuff (testing with IE), but it's not powerful enough for games these days.  So I use the good old PS2 for that side of things (do you really need any other game other than GTA3? Maybe Vice City though.)

When my AmigaOne XE arrives, I'll have Linux on there as my main OS (due to some needs with work etc.), but I'll also have OS4 (when released) for all my other needs.

Eventually I would love to go AmigaOS only, but to begin with I don't think it would be completely possible.

May advice to the original poster is to evaluate your needs closely and see what you REALLY need.  If everything you want is on the Amiga then go for it, if not then go for that, it's as simple as that.
-- Crispy

Offline strobe

• Show only replies by strobe
    • http://216.239.51.100/search?q=cache:7XQQZXN3cS4C:www.amiga.com/corporate/amigadepartypack.shtml
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2002, 09:12:26 PM »
1) I wouldn't make any decisions until you've tried the new OS

2) Don't bother upgrading that Mac. If you want a faster Mac it would be better to get a used Quicksilver or perhaps a portable.

« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2002, 09:15:21 PM »
Here's the lowdown...

Game Consoles: PSX/PS2, Gamecube,  NES, SuperNES, Sega Genesis, Sega Master System, Sega Dreamcast, Turbo Grafx 16 DUO, Atari 2600.

Computers: Commdore 128D, Amiga 1200, Macintosh PowerPC@120Mhz

Most PC games now adays are released side-by-side with PS2, and Gamecube... so I might as well use those for "modern" games.

The money I could get out of my PC, could really help upgrade my Commdore 128D and Amiga 1200, and also possibly upgrade to a better Macintosh. :-D

My only issue with my Amiga, is the monitor I use is an old Commdore compatible 80 colum monitor... so I have it tooked up with the A/V cables.  I currently have a "640x256 resolution" (PAL ... even though I am used to NTSC, I somehow like PAL better.) and max colors at 256.

It's "normal" size, but i'm so used to 1280x1024. :-P

Plus I should get an Amiga monitor, and connect it the "correct" way, instead of RCA jacks.

Offline Damion

« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2002, 09:13:49 PM »
WHOA!!! You've got the TurboDuo? I had one of those...some great games were on that system. Hours and hours.

Offline Desler

• Show only replies by Desler
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2002, 10:53:32 PM »
OK my suggestion:

Sell the mac
Sell the amiga
Keep the pc

Why?
1. The sale of the mac + the amiga should get you a decent amigaOne mobo (Or help you in that direction anyway)
2. The amiga one can run both amiga (of course) and mac (MOL) programs faster than any of these machines
3. The prices for pc hardware are falling everyday. So unless you got your pc REALLY cheap or are able to sell it to some morron you could only get ca. 60-70% of what you originally payed for it

This is ofcourse only usable if you are thinking about the amigaone and if you can bear saying goodbye to your amiga
The horse is a fierce predatory animal!!!

Offline Damion

« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2002, 10:57:59 PM »
Unless of course like me you have loadz of old Amiga software...I would keep the Amiga regardless. They're worth more and more lately anyway. Sell it later if you have too.

Offline Desler

• Show only replies by Desler
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2002, 11:04:35 PM »
They're worth more and more lately anyway.

Ehhm thats kinda gamble. In my opinion you could risk the prices for an used amiga rumbling down with the new amigaone and all. Just saw a standard a4000 on an auction with the initial price of 60-70$  :-o The auction is closing in ten days so im gonna keep an eye on that sucka
The horse is a fierce predatory animal!!!