Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Windows Phone - Dead man walking  (Read 6297 times)

Description:

Offline SysAdminTopic starter

• News posting Auto Agent
    • Show only replies by SysAdmin
    • http://www.a-eon.com
Posts on this account before August 4th, 2012 don\'t belong to me.

Offline Darrin

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by Darrin
Re: Windows Phone - Dead man walking
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2014, 05:39:23 PM »
As someone who has owned an iPhone and an Android phone, please leave me alone with my Nokia Windows phone!  It hasn't crashed yet, which is a lot more than I can say about the ****ing Motorola droid phone I had before it, it integrates well with my personal and company emails, I have all the office tools I need, it syncs with my car (and every rental car I've used) and the battery life is good.  I even like the main display with the big, square icons (although my Windows 8 PC looks and feels like Windows 7 thanks to Classic Shell).
A2000, A3000, 2 x A1200T, A1200, A4000Tower & Mediator, CD32, VIC-20, C64, C128, C128D, PET 8032, Minimig & ARM, C-One, FPGA Arcade... and AmigaOne X1000.

Offline psxphill

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2014, 05:40:34 PM »
Quote from: SysAdmin;764472
http://blogs.computerworld.com/windows-phone/23904/windows-phone-stuck-3-world-market-share-time-call-android

Android is so fragmented that Microsoft would never get involved.

Apple licensing IOS to handset manufacturers is more likely to happen.

Offline matt3k

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2014, 06:07:44 PM »
Quote from: Darrin;764473
As someone who has owned an iPhone and an Android phone, please leave me alone with my Nokia Windows phone!  It hasn't crashed yet, which is a lot more than I can say about the ****ing Motorola droid phone I had before it, it integrates well with my personal and company emails, I have all the office tools I need, it syncs with my car (and every rental car I've used) and the battery life is good.  I even like the main display with the big, square icons (although my Windows 8 PC looks and feels like Windows 7 thanks to Classic Shell).

I agree, about a month ago I destroyed my galaxy and decided to try the Nokia Icon and I have been very impressed.  It is a very stable OS and for work applications is it a great fit for what I use it for.  I hacked away at droid with tons of tweaks and hacks and had great fun with it, with WP8 I use it for work and don't touch it.

Interestingly launcher 7 for droid was a better windows launcher experience then windows phone itself.  WP tiles isn't bad mind you but launcher 7 has tons of options to configure making it fun.  If you factor in the whole OS experience including the launcher, WP 8 wins for me.

I like that I can uninstall every Verizon application if I want to, unlike the droid which wouldn't let me.

Windows phone has better navigation and battery control/life imho.

The only issue I don't care for in WP is that the way they currently have their apps sandboxed, it makes it crazy hard to access files directly from the OS.  Say you copy your book to a book folder you create, it is impossible to access it.  You either have to have a sd card (not an option on the icon) or use one drive.  File management via third party on android was very sweet and is very limited on WP.  Apparently Microsoft is releasing a file manager for 8.1 that will fix these limitations.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2014, 06:44:33 PM by matt3k »

Offline matt3k

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2014, 06:13:33 PM »
I think it is way to premature to write off WP.  Microsoft has billions of free dollars sitting in the bank and I would predict they will outlive BB.  They have made strategic actions in the market place to give them a real shot at being a contender with market share.  Europe will play a role in the market share, as WP seems to be expanding faster there.

Time will tell, but Windows Phone 8.1 certainly added needed features and it looks like they are heading in the right direction.

Offline Oldsmobile_Mike

« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2014, 06:18:50 PM »
Quote from: psxphill;764474
Android is so fragmented

The only people who give a rat's a** about this are tech writers and uber-geeks. 99% of consumers couldn't care less. Not sure why this even comes up as an issue anymore? An 80% market share doesn't lie, lol.  ;)
Amiga 500: 2MB Chip|16MB Fast|30MHz 68030+68882|3.9|Indivision ECS|GVP A500HD+|Mechware card reader + 8GB CF|Cocolino|SCSI DVD-RAM
Amiga 2000: 2MB Chip|136MB Fast|50MHz 68060|3.9|Indivision ECS + GVP Spectrum|Mechware card reader + 8GB CF|AD516|X-Surf 100|RapidRoad|Cocolino|SCSI CD-RW
 Amiga videos and other misc. stuff at https://www.youtube.com/CompTechMike/videos

Offline Duce

• Off to greener pastures
    • Show only replies by Duce
    • http://amigabbs.blogspot.com/
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2014, 06:26:24 PM »
And Apple with its 16% share still takes in the lions share of the profits in the sector.

Don't forget, MS likely make more off Android than they do off WP due to licensing.  Every Android handset that gets sold, MS gets paid as well, as a general rule.

http://www.infoworld.com/t/android/microsoft-makes-more-android-windows-smartphones-707

Offline commodorejohn

• Show only replies by commodorejohn
    • http://www.commodorejohn.com
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2014, 06:43:25 PM »
Quote from: matt3k;764476
I think it is way to premature to write off WP.  Microsoft has billions of free dollars sitting in the bank and I would predict they will outlive BB.  They have made strategic actions in the market place to give them a real shot at being a contender with market share.  Europe will play a role in the market share, as WP seems to be expanding faster there.
All the billions of free dollars in the world can't force people to buy something, and judging by the reception it's gotten thus far, basically nobody cares about Windows Phone at all. Microsoft can throw all the money at it that they like, and that won't change; the question is simply when they'll decide they've flushed enough money down the toilet.
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73
Synthesizers: Roland JX-10/MT-32/D-10, Oberheim Matrix-6, Yamaha DX7/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini, Ensoniq Mirage/SQ-80, Sequential Circuits Prophet-600, Hohner String Performer

"\'Legacy code\' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling." - Bjarne Stroustrup

Offline LiveForIt

« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2014, 06:58:27 PM »
Android is not perfect.

I'm not happy whit my LG phone, it sucks, if losses connection for a ms it does not recover the signal, you most turn the phone on and off, to get signal back. Not even if try enable disable flight mode.

Next time I buy Samsung, people seams to be more happy about that phone.

Iphone forget it, I'm not getting lured to into the the special accessory apple market, none standard power chargers and none standard USB cables etc.

Offline CritAnime

• Previous Life Time Member
    • Show only replies by CritAnime
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2014, 07:01:11 PM »
Quote from: commodorejohn;764480
All the billions of free dollars in the world can't force people to buy something, and judging by the reception it's gotten thus far, basically nobody cares about Windows Phone at all. Microsoft can throw all the money at it that they like, and that won't change; the question is simply when they'll decide they've flushed enough money down the toilet.

By nobody you actually mean a small percentage of smartphone buyers get Windows Phone compared to other platforms. There are still people buying handsets. In the UK WP has a good percentage of the cheap end smartphone market and have been paired with affordable contracts. Until Microsoft pull then plug officially you can't predict what they will do.

Offline Oldsmobile_Mike

« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2014, 07:02:20 PM »
Quote from: LiveForIt;764482
Iphone forget it, I'm not getting lured to into the the special accessory apple market, none standard power chargers and none standard USB cables etc.

I kind of shrug and laugh when I have people riding in my truck and they ask if I have an iPhone charger.  Sorry, no non-standard USB connectors for me!

I have a Galaxy Nexus (32GB model) and love it.  A couple years old now but still going strong, spec-wise it remains competitive with many newer model phones.  The Nexus line was always the crème-of-the-crop, and not filled with all that rubbish/bloatware that lower-end models receive.  ;)
Amiga 500: 2MB Chip|16MB Fast|30MHz 68030+68882|3.9|Indivision ECS|GVP A500HD+|Mechware card reader + 8GB CF|Cocolino|SCSI DVD-RAM
Amiga 2000: 2MB Chip|136MB Fast|50MHz 68060|3.9|Indivision ECS + GVP Spectrum|Mechware card reader + 8GB CF|AD516|X-Surf 100|RapidRoad|Cocolino|SCSI CD-RW
 Amiga videos and other misc. stuff at https://www.youtube.com/CompTechMike/videos

Offline Djole

• Show only replies by Djole
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2014, 07:06:13 PM »
Quote from: LiveForIt;764482
Android is not perfect.

I'm not happy whit my LG phone, it sucks, if losses connection for a ms it does not recover the signal, you most turn the phone on and off, to get signal back. Not even if try enable disable flight mode.

Next time I buy Samsung, people seams to be more happy about that phone.

Its not Android fault LG(ay) makes bad hardware....
A1200 030
A1200 stock
A600 Vampire v2

VOLIM TE REPUBLIKO SRPSKA!
[/B][/COLOR]

Offline Duce

• Off to greener pastures
    • Show only replies by Duce
    • http://amigabbs.blogspot.com/
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2014, 07:08:07 PM »
Only in John's alternate reality can selling 7 million phones in one quarter be considered a failure and "no one is using them".  Yes, that's how many Windows Phones were sold in Q1 2013 alone.  That's more windows phones sold in one quarter than all Amiga computers ever made.

The things might not be as widespread as the "everyone has one" Android phones, but I see a lot of people here with them.  Most people I've spoken with with them just love them, too.  I honestly see more people using the WP's up here than I do BB's, which is saying a lot, considering it is Canada and all.

But let's ignore facts, numbers and reality.  I'm sure the clamshell feature phone will cruise back into the scene and all things will be OK by some peoples standards :)  Then we can get onto more important things like banishing tablets worldwide and figuring out how to send TCP/IP packets by smoke signal.

:laugh1:
« Last Edit: May 15, 2014, 07:10:09 PM by Duce »

Offline Darrin

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by Darrin
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2014, 07:19:24 PM »
Quote from: Djole;764488
Its not Android fault LG(ay) makes bad hardware....

My Droid Motorola did the same thing.  Very frustrating when you're driving around and moving between masts.  What I really hated was that it had a "send us an error report" feature and when I clicked on it, it would say "This feature has been disabled".  I took this to mean that AT&T/Motorola/Google didn't give a crap if there was a bug.  Add to that the phones ability to lock up or shut itself off for no reason... or even refuse to turn back on until I sacrificed a chicken to Lucifer and his minions, it wasn't a pleasant experience.  ;)
A2000, A3000, 2 x A1200T, A1200, A4000Tower & Mediator, CD32, VIC-20, C64, C128, C128D, PET 8032, Minimig & ARM, C-One, FPGA Arcade... and AmigaOne X1000.

Offline Lurch

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by Lurch
« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2014, 07:22:16 PM »
What a load of fud that blog is. WP8.1 is an OS which is starting to gain traction, having owned/used several phones WP8.1,has to be my pick.

IOS - I find the Apple hype machine sickening. Having tried a couple of iPhones they felt like a step backwards. The worse example is the iPhone 4. Peering into a tiny screen with a so called retina display. Then the releasing of the next iPhone, wait a minute its doesn't look any different. The quality is also questionable, there have been a few issues over the years. But the well oiled hype machine or just blind love takes care of that. Don't get me started on ibooks/powerbooks.

Although I do enjoy classic Macs.

Android - fragmented, slow, lockups. The layout is a mess, as for the collection of apps I prefer quality over quantity and I got tired of the adverts and stuff getting pushed to my phone even with adblocker installed. Sony Z series of phones look great and the one plus one is looking good. As for Samsung their best piece of work was th S2 since then I haven't been interested. The S3 has some design issues, especially the USB connector cracking on most of them. But I'll stop the... Have to go to work LOL.
-=[LurcH]=-
A500 Plus Black 030@40MHz 128MB | A1200T 060@80MHz 320MB | Pegasos II G4@1GHz 1GB  | Amiga Future Sub