Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: ** HOT FLASH ** EFIKA is now the biggest ever Team Aros Bounty! **  (Read 8679 times)

Description:

Offline spihunter

• Show only replies by spihunter
Re: ** HOT FLASH ** EFIKA is now the biggest ever Team Aros Bounty! **
« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2006, 02:11:55 AM »
Things are looking really cool for this little board! Cant wait to get one.

Offline McVenco

• Show only replies by McVenco
    • http://www.amigascene.nl
« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2006, 08:06:32 AM »
I will probably buy one as well, but only when MorphOS and/or AROS will be available for it. Linux is nice, but I can run that on my (soon to be obsolete) AMD machine as well, I don't want to buy an Efika when only Linux is available.
| A4000 | CS-MK3 060@50 | Picasso IV |
| Member of Team Amiga (tm) | FidoNet 2:286/414.18 (long ago) |
| SysOp The Missing Channel BBS | Member of AGA BBS Intl. |

Offline coldfish

• Show only replies by coldfish
« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2006, 09:34:17 AM »
Where was this board when the A1 was in the works, a $199.00 PPC board is a lot more reasonable compared to the pricing debacle that was the A1.

At that price I'd almost buy one.

Offline spihunter

• Show only replies by spihunter
« Reply #17 on: December 07, 2006, 11:22:56 AM »
@McVenco,
I don't want to buy an Efika when only Linux is available.

Yep, I should have said I can hardly wait. I wont be buying either until MOS comes out for it. :-D

Offline bhoggett

• Show only replies by bhoggett
    • http://www.midnightmu.com
« Reply #18 on: December 07, 2006, 11:54:10 AM »
This is where I think AROS has it wrong. It should concentrate on goals to make it usable rather than have everything dictated by bounties - some of which do nothing to move it forward. In this case by the time AROS is ported to Efika, MorphOS will probably be available for it as well - and since AROS isn't anywhere near as useful as MorphOS it will probably have more developers working on the port than it will gain users when the port is done.

I know that programmers need to be paid if they are to spend serious development time on a project, but at the same time it is possible to invest lots of money and time into something that essentially has little to no value when it's done.

There are too many projects concentrating on porting AROS and not enough getting practical applications ported to it.
Bill Hoggett

Offline dammy

• Show only replies by dammy
« Reply #19 on: December 07, 2006, 12:18:56 PM »
There are too many projects concentrating on porting AROS and not enough getting practical applications ported to it.

I'm seeing an increase in user apps being coded/ported, although they may or may not be reported on AO.  Lunapaint and AmigGG are good examples of code in 06.  I can count about four critical projects (atleast IMO, YMMV) that are being pushed ahead of user apps.  Currently most of those are either in developement or awaiting developer to open a block of free time for the project.  After they are completed, your going to be seeing a strong push on making things nicer for the users.  

Of course, the more developers that come aboard, the faster things can improve for AROS.  Being a community based OS, it's a two way street between devs and end users.  There is no pretty package you can go down to the corner store to buy. You want AROS, either roll up your sleeve or open that wallet like so many of us have over the years.

Dammy
Dammy

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Arix-OS/414578091930728
Unless otherwise noted, I speak only for myself.

Offline ChaosLord

• Show only replies by ChaosLord
    • http://totalchaoseng.dbv.pl/news.php
« Reply #20 on: December 07, 2006, 12:32:04 PM »
Why isn't there a "Port AROS to PS3" bounty?
Wanna try a wonderfull strategy game with lots of handdrawn anims,
Magic Spells and Monsters, Incredible playability and lastability,
English speech, etc. Total Chaos AGA

Offline bhoggett

• Show only replies by bhoggett
    • http://www.midnightmu.com
« Reply #21 on: December 07, 2006, 12:42:08 PM »
I'm seeing an increase in user apps being coded/ported, although they may or may not be reported on AO. Lunapaint and AmigGG are good examples of code in 06. I can count about four critical projects (atleast IMO, YMMV) that are being pushed ahead of user apps. Currently most of those are either in developement or awaiting developer to open a block of free time for the project. After they are completed, your going to be seeing a strong push on making things nicer for the users.

Let's say I'll believe it when I see it. Lunapaint and AmiGG are all very nice, but hardly enough to motivate anyone in booting up AROS when you need to get things done.

Of course, the more developers that come aboard, the faster things can improve for AROS. Being a community based OS, it's a two way street between devs and end users. There is no pretty package you can go down to the corner store to buy. You want AROS, either roll up your sleeve or open that wallet like so many of us have over the years.

Well, from a personal PoV you are still to persuade me that AROS has a future and is therefore worth me investing either time or money in. I have no confidence in the way it has been progressing thus far.

However, if for example BBRV really wanted to help he could buy out the MorphOS source and donate it to AROS under the AROS licence or whatever. Now that would be something really worthwhile. Instead, someone who might have been working on applications may now well switch to porting AROS to Efika because it pays better, the overall result being that in effect AROS stagnates.
Bill Hoggett

Offline c64_d0c

• Show only replies by c64_d0c
« Reply #22 on: December 07, 2006, 02:20:40 PM »
it allready runs on an x86 32bit pc that 99% of people are owning.... porting it to EFIKA is just futile of effort and time. there is two things aros need and that is firefox web browser and an emulator for old amiga software that is integrated into the os, it should run in the background so you dont think your emulating anything but thinks its native...

aros is out of focus, to much unnecessary and not important porting is going on...

i 100% agree with you bhoggett the morphos code should be buyed up and used for aros... there you have something really usefull for aros...

________
Stranger Originated Life Insurance Advice
« Last Edit: May 08, 2011, 06:06:31 AM by c64_d0c »
On schedule and rockin\\\'!!!1!!

Offline Piru

• \' union select name,pwd--
    • Show only replies by Piru
    • http://www.iki.fi/sintonen/
« Reply #23 on: December 07, 2006, 02:42:46 PM »
@bhoggett
he could buy out the MorphOS source

Only if it was for sale, and it isn't.

@c64_d0c
there is two things aros need and that is firefox web browser ...

Don't hold your breath for firefox. It's as unlikely as AOS version, that is: It will never happen.

Offline falemagn

• Show only replies by falemagn
    • http://www.aros.org/
« Reply #24 on: December 07, 2006, 05:14:42 PM »
@bhogget

This is where I think AROS has it wrong. It should concentrate on goals to make it usable rather than have everything dictated by bounties - some of which do nothing to move it forward.

I actually agree with the crux of your message, but you got one main point wrong, which is that "AROS has it wrong": AROS, even if by "AROS" you refer to the group of people that code it, doesn't decide which bounties are to be opened, it's non developers that do that, because they want to incentive the developers to do something that they want to be done. But, in the end, it's still the developer who decides whether or not to take up on a given bounty.

Offline falemagn

• Show only replies by falemagn
    • http://www.aros.org/
« Reply #25 on: December 07, 2006, 05:17:52 PM »

Well, from a personal PoV you are still to persuade me that AROS has a future

Let's just say that it has about as much future as MOS and AmigaOS4 in their current forms.

I'll let you guess what's my opinion about those other OS's future.

Offline AmigaHeretic

• Show only replies by AmigaHeretic
« Reply #26 on: December 07, 2006, 06:03:47 PM »
it allready runs on an x86 32bit pc that 99% of people are owning.... porting it to EFIKA is just futile of effort and time.

Yeah, I hope this doesn't lead to a split in AROS.  Just what we need a Red AROS and Blue AROS war.   :roll:

A3000D (16mhz, 2MB Chip, 4MB Fast, SCSI (300+MB), SuperGen Genlock, Kick 3.1)
Back in my day, we didn\'t have water. We only had Oxygen and Hydrogen, and we\'d just have to shove them together.

Offline Fransexy_

• Show only replies by Fransexy_
« Reply #27 on: December 07, 2006, 06:36:14 PM »
Don't hold your breath for firefox. It's as unlikely as AOS version, that is: It will never happen.

The same was said about doom, quake, PCI on Amigas, coldfire accelerators........and see now  :roll:

Tip: never say never
DON\'T TAKE LIFE SO SERIOUSLY AFTER ALL NOBODY GETS OUT ALIVE OF IT

Offline Tomas

• Show only replies by Tomas
« Reply #28 on: December 07, 2006, 06:40:56 PM »
I would rather see some new features like emulation layer, so that you can actually use it for running software. As it is now, it is just of no usage for the non developer. I think all effort should be on drivers for current platforms, more software and emulation that enables you to run 68k apps and games without having to fire up uae.

I dont see how aros can compete with MOS as it is now..

Offline CannonFodder

• Show only replies by CannonFodder
« Reply #29 from previous page: December 07, 2006, 06:43:03 PM »

Tomas wrote:
I would rather see some new features like emulation layer, so that you can actually use it for running software. As it is now, it is just of no usage for the non developer. I think all effort should be on drivers for current platforms, more software and emulation that enables you to run 68k apps and games without having to fire up uae.

I dont see how aros can compete with MOS as it is now..

IIRC seemless 68k emulation integration is awaiting the fruits of M.Schulz labour on the modular AMD64 kernel.
People are hostile to what they do not understand - Imam Ali ibn Abi Talib(AS)