Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Amiga game construction kits  (Read 1929 times)

Description:

Offline PhantomTopic starter

• Show only replies by Phantom
    • http://l9memorial.if-legends.org/html/home.html
Amiga game construction kits
« on: April 30, 2008, 03:57:13 PM »
I wonder how many game construction kits are available for the Amiga. I know Shoot'em Up Construction Kit (I used it before, but it's crap on scrolling and collision detection, and it's very limited too).

There is also 3D Construction Kit I and II, Backbone (I didn't test it yet, they say that it's very buggy at times). Any ideas? What is the best game construction kit for you?
To Be A True Adventurer, You Ought To Play Real Text Adventures

Offline Oli_hd

• Show only replies by Oli_hd
Re: Amiga game construction kits
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2008, 05:22:43 PM »
I bought the Reality kit (before it was given away free on CU Amiga) and it was very good.
The games that were given as exampled were very good games.
They did plan other disks for click and play monkey island type games but I dont think they ever got that out.

There were disks to make interactive guides, platformers and others, a sound disk, image disk etc

One interesting thing thats on ebay at the moment,I havent seen anything about it and am not sure if the games pictured were created with the kit but if they are then it looks like it does 24bit games, which is cool.
Anyone tried this?
Amiga Game Studio

Offline SamuraiCrow

• Show only replies by SamuraiCrow
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2008, 05:57:51 PM »
I have GRAC 2 the GRaphic Adventure Creator on my F1 Licenseware CD.  It's good for the "Monkey Island" style adventures assuming you don't have multiple characters like in Maniac Mansion.  It inherited a few bugs from AmosPro since that's what it was written in, as was Backbone IIRC.

Online davideo

• Show only replies by davideo
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2008, 06:55:50 PM »

Oli_hd wrote:
One interesting thing thats on ebay at the moment,I havent seen anything about it and am not sure if the games pictured were created with the kit but if they are then it looks like it does 24bit games, which is cool.
Anyone tried this?
Amiga Game Studio

I looked at that and wondered how good it was and then found the same screen shots used in the PC advert for the same thing  :roll:

I'd be interested on anybodys experience as far as the Amiga goes with this software..

Dave G  8-)

Offline motorollin

• Show only replies by motorollin
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2008, 07:04:12 PM »
Oli_hd wrote:
Anyone tried this?
Amiga Game Studio

I was interested in this so Googled it and came up with this quote from an EAB thread:

ElectroBlaster (from EAB) wrote:
Avoid this ebayer selling this:

(Link to old "Amiga Game Studio" auction)

Me being a fool bought one and its not the Amiga Game Studio at all, the bugger just fishes off CUCD23 which had the reality game engine and a few other old apps like SEUCK and amos.

Im rather {bleep}ed off at the moment and I have contacted him about it, hes selling copied stuff. The thing that really pisses me off is the fact these people get away with it

--
moto
Code: [Select]
10  IT\'S THE FINAL COUNTDOWN
20  FOR C = 1 TO 2
30     DA-NA-NAAAA-NAAAA DA-NA-NA-NA-NAAAA
40     DA-NA-NAAAA-NAAAA DA-NA-NA-NA-NA-NA-NAAAAA
50  NEXT C
60  NA-NA-NAAAA
70  NA-NA NA-NA-NA-NA-NAAAA NAAA-NAAAAAAAAAAA
80  GOTO 10

Online davideo

• Show only replies by davideo
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2008, 09:05:51 PM »
@motorollin

Thanks for finding out that info.

That's saved me some pennies  :-D

Dave G  8-)

Offline Cammy

« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2008, 06:46:22 AM »
I'm using Backbone to make my Halloween Nightmare platform game. Although it is buggy, once you know where the bugs are you can avoid most of them. It's really worth giving it a go, because it has SO many options for customising your games. Sure it lacks a few features (like ammo, currency/shops, switchable/selectable weapons, high score table) it still has enough to make your own fun platform games.

Backbone was originally programmed in Amos Pro, but parts of it were re-coded in C or ASM or something. Unfortunately the games still run as slow as an Amos game. You can see an example of what Backbone can do if you want to try my game demo, I'm sorry I haven't made an updated demo yet. The old one is here though - http://aminet.net/package/game/demo/HalloweenNightmareDemo

I think it's a good way of making prototypes for games that you could maybe later on code from scratch. I'm hoping I can find someone who can code this Halloween game, because it's going to be quite large with lots of levels and characters.

I have always wanted to try out GRAC2 or GRAAL, as well as Reality, but I just haven't had a chance. GRAC2 looks easy enough to use, and can make some very decent adventure games (if they're playtested well enough). Reality looks quite complicated. My boyfriend bought a copy of it as well, but the documentation was just a photocopied piece of paper. I'll have to dig up the CU Amiga magazine that came out later on, I have the CD for it here (the one being sold on eBay, shame on that pirate!).

I really hope you find something that will help you make the game you want!  :kitty:
A1200 030@28Mhz/2MB+32MB/RTC/KS3.1/IDE-CF+4GB/4-Way Clockport Expander/IndivisionAGA/PCMCIA NIC
A1200 020@14Mhz/2MB+8MB/FPU/RTC/KS3.0/IDE-CF+2GB/S-Video
CD32 020@14Mhz/2MB+8MB/RTC/KS3.1/IDE-CF+4GB
A600 030@30Mhz/2MB+64MB/RTC/IDE-CF+4GB/Subway USB/S-Video/PCMCIA NIC/USB Numeric Keypad+Hub+Mouse+Control Pad
A500 000@7Mhz/512kB+512kB/ROM Switcher/KS3.1+1.3/S-Video

Get AmigaOS

Offline SamuraiCrow

• Show only replies by SamuraiCrow
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2008, 03:48:44 PM »
Correction.  The F1 Licenseware CD only came with GRAC 1.  I don't know what disk GRAC 2 came on.

Offline Oli_hd

• Show only replies by Oli_hd
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2008, 04:33:03 PM »
. My boyfriend bought a copy of it as well, but the documentation was just a photocopied piece of paper.

The original was a photocopied piece of paper, I got it direct from the advert in the back of CU Amiga and thats how it arrived.
The disks were your normal blue ones with a white lable that read REALITY SOUND or REALITY MASTER.

Offline Tricky

• Show only replies by Tricky
    • http://www.jigsawlounge.co.uk/kungfu/
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2008, 09:30:23 PM »
I had a lot of fun with SEUCK back in the day, and 3D construction kit (even though it as horribly slow).  Oddly, it seemed the C64 version of SEUCK was actually better.  Notice the sprites are still the C64 24x24 size even on the Amiga!  Weird.  Oh and the Custom Level designer on Tower of Babel was also awesome.  I always wanted to get my hands on the developer suite they used for Damocles/Mercenary III.

Other than that... learn to program!  It's the only way for ultimate freedom, of course, but it does take some work.  I should probably make the Mr Beanbag engine into some sort of kit!

EDIT: I found "Reality" a bit of a disappointment, to be honest.  It seemed like pretty much all you could do was pick a sort of game out of three and then change the graphics.
[A1200/060, 32Mb fast RAM, 1.2Gb HDD, 19\\" Acer TFT Monitor]
I never write anything that won\\\'t run on a stock A1200.  That\\\'s the Jigsaw Lounge Guarantee.