Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Cloanto  (Read 11919 times)

Description:

Offline Piru

• \' union select name,pwd--
    • Show only replies by Piru
    • http://www.iki.fi/sintonen/
Re: Cloanto
« Reply #29 from previous page: April 23, 2008, 03:01:08 AM »
@Minuous
AFAIK no evidence has been produced by the relevant developers to justify their claims. If I went around saying things like "OS4 is infringing on my IP" without producing any evidence of this, would that mean that everyone selling OS4 would be lacking in "moral backbone"? Or the same for Windows, or MacOS?

There is a "small" difference: It is fact that NSDi Network Solutions Development Inc. wrote AmiTCP/IP, and it is a official press statement by the company, not some random post by some developer. I find it credible.

If you went around claiming such things you'd just sound retarded.

But people seem to think that using Cloanto's crippled ROMs is the only way to do it, this is wrong.

How are they crippled exactly, if I may ask?

if you are the owner of said ROM

And if you're not, and there would be no Cloanto, you would be forced to source ebay or fleamarkets for amigas or ROMs. Now that would be silly.

Offline Minuous

« Reply #30 on: April 23, 2008, 03:26:04 AM »
@Piru:

They are encrypted and require the use of a keyfile, ie. effectively DRM-encumbered. Unlike other ROM images, which are straightforward dumps.

@amigakidd:

>Now, I don't have an actual Amiga 500 or any Amiga machine at my disposal, but I don't want to hack out the ROM and transfer it to my PC. That takes a long time and I'm not a hardware guru.

Just download it then, you will end up with a byte-exact copy of what you would have dumped anyway.

>I like them because they're part of the Amiga Community, they're part of the original boat of developers from wayback.

Well, so were Microsoft, Electronic Arts, etc...

>I cared about the early developers and those at Commodore who devoted their lives to Amiga. I bought my ROMs not just to have a clear conscience, but to honor the past.

How much of your Cloanto money do you think is going to support the original Amiga development team? None, of course. Of course none goes to Hyperion either, I'm not necessarily saying that it should but at least that would help the Amiga. Maybe some of the money gets to Amino, but that doesn't help the Amiga: Amino have made it quite clear through words and actions that they only care about their AmigaAnywhere rubbish.

>I just wish as an alternative, there would be an open source kickstart from GPL. I guess that would make some happy. Hey anything can be open-sourced right? Why not.

Yeah but it would be less compatible as it would not be 100% the same.

Offline amigadave

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by amigadave
    • http://www.EfficientByDesign.org
« Reply #31 on: April 23, 2008, 03:58:30 AM »

Fester wrote:
I'm sorry to see this thread.

Cloanto's Amiga Forever was how I got back into the Amiga. I purchased two of the latest versions on CD and would not hesitate to purchase the next version.

This is an excellent piece of software. Its title is fitting.

My two cents.

I agree, it is a shame to see this kind of bashing of a good group of Amiga developers that saw a need and filled it.

I am sick of these so called "Amiga Enthusiasts" that always want something for nothing and probably weren't even out of diapers when the Amiga was first released.

It is a sad trend and a scary future ahead of us when the young people of the world take over with no honor and integrity in their soul.

(here come the flames for saying all that out loud)
How are you helping the Amiga community? :)

Offline kreciu

« Reply #32 on: April 23, 2008, 04:29:53 AM »
I think I'm in the middle of this disscusion.

I'm happy that I could buy an oryginal Amiga ROM's for UAE and WHDload... actually nothing more.

I installed whole AmigaForever "distribution" and there was actually nothing special, WB 3.1 like in good old times ;).

This post I wrote on AmigaSYS4 WITH ROM3.1 from Clonto. I payed around $35 just to get the ROM's.

Thank you Clonto for ROM's ($35), thank you H&P for OS3.9 ($70), and finally thank you guys from AmigaSYS ($just for fun...) to make my Amiga/UAE running, VERY nice, with ALL needed software!! Also THANK YOU authors of all FREE software which is included with AmigaSYS/AmigaKIT

Who is DOING something... TODAY?

:-D
Re-A1200inE/BOX/3.2/AmigaOS3.2/TF1260@66Mhz/256Mb/MediatorTX/R9200SE/SpiderUSB/LAN/SB128/16Gb-CF/DVD-ROM/FDD-HD

Offline Minuous

« Reply #33 on: April 23, 2008, 04:46:08 AM »
>Also THANK YOU authors of all FREE software which is included with AmigaSYS/AmigaKIT

You're welcome. Any suggestions for improvement of said software will be considered.

Offline Piru

• \' union select name,pwd--
    • Show only replies by Piru
    • http://www.iki.fi/sintonen/
« Reply #34 on: April 23, 2008, 04:49:00 AM »
@Minuous
They are encrypted and require the use of a keyfile, ie. effectively DRM-encumbered. Unlike other ROM images, which are straightforward dumps.

Not quite. Launch the emulation, save the image to a file: Uncrypted. No more keyfile needed.

Or, if that is not enough, just use the GPL decrypt routine directly: memory.c

I wouldn't call that "crippled".

Offline Speelgoedmannetje

• Show only replies by Speelgoedmannetje
« Reply #35 on: April 23, 2008, 12:28:45 PM »

Minuous wrote:
alexh wrote:
Amiga Explorer by Cloanto is a GREAT program.

A Windows program...
AND an Amiga program.
And the canary said: \'chirp\'

Offline kgwhdload

• Show only replies by kgwhdload
« Reply #36 on: April 23, 2008, 01:53:38 PM »
I've heard nothing but good things about Amiga Explorer but have never used it so can't comment.

I have however tried Amiga Forever and certainly wouldn't pay money for it, not when much better, free solutions exist such as ClassicWB.

Anyone who is looking at getting in to amiga emulation should skip over getting Amiga Forever, grab a kickstart rom from somewhere (maybe an awesome boot sale) and test out ClassicWB (or something like AmiKit for a more 'uptodate' setup).

Offline Framiga

• Show only replies by Framiga
« Reply #37 on: April 23, 2008, 02:25:26 PM »
Amiga Forever 2008 is coming! :-)

Offline kgwhdload

• Show only replies by kgwhdload
« Reply #38 on: April 23, 2008, 03:13:49 PM »
Wow, I can't wait for "a revolutionary new way to experience Amiga emulation"  :roll:

Offline kreciu

« Reply #39 on: April 23, 2008, 03:52:41 PM »

Framiga wrote:
Amiga Forever 2008 is coming! :-)

hhmm, I hope I will get my "update" I just bought cheap download version... other think is Workbench, I hope THERE will be some updates too... not just a change of the colors in Windows "Luncher"...
Re-A1200inE/BOX/3.2/AmigaOS3.2/TF1260@66Mhz/256Mb/MediatorTX/R9200SE/SpiderUSB/LAN/SB128/16Gb-CF/DVD-ROM/FDD-HD

Offline Belial6

• Show only replies by Belial6
    • http://www.glasshead.net
« Reply #40 on: April 23, 2008, 08:51:37 PM »
I'm hoping they do some major upgrading to the KX Light.  It was a great idea that just was not properly implemented.

What I would like to see is for it to be hard drive installable, and for it to support having all of the configuration stuff controllable via a web browser.  It should also support using removable media like an SD card as the configuration/save location.

The removable media system would allow us keep the Amiga feel by having the System boot directly to our own customized desktop, as well as give us the ability to boot directly into any games that we want to by just putting the custom configuration on it's own USB stick.  This allow us to share our Amiga with family and friends without it looking like some kind of kludge.  It would behave just like a console.  Plug in your 'cartidge' and turn on the system.

The hard drive installation would improve boot speeds dramatically.  Especially if they could make hibernate work.

The web access to the configuration would be the coolest part though.  By putting a mini-web server that loads by default, we would have a standard interface for remote controlling the Amiga without breaking the illusion.  This means that when a new disk needs to be inserted, we could do it from another PC, a PDA, or even our phones.  Heck, it wouldn't be too huge of a home brew project to make a small "disk drive" that was just an http client that would display the current disk and a menu.  Heck, we could even have a real floppy disk drive shell that would send an HTTP command of eject to the emulator when you pushed the eject button, and had small switch inside that would issue an insert disk command when the disk was reinserted.  This would give the tactile experience of using a floppy while leaving the actual ADF safely on modern media.  Really the options would be endless, and I think the community would really run with it.

As I type this, and think about how all of the technical issues could be hidden from users, it strikes me that the final piece to hide the emulation from a user would be if there was some way to watch memory/video chip/whatever to check for insert disk messages on the screen.  Obviously this would need to be identified on a game by game basis, but I would think that if nothing else, the emulator should be able to scan an area of the screen to match a bitmap to one stored as a reference, and when the screen bitmaps match, an eject of one disk, and insert of another is automatically done.

I don't expect any of this to happen, but a guy can dream.

Offline kreciu

« Reply #41 on: April 25, 2008, 04:01:59 PM »

Belial6

Yes, you are dreaming, but you have the reason for that... they sell Amiga Forever... forever and you as a costumer could expect SOME improvement of the product (especially when you pay $30-50))...

Offline mauidj

• Show only replies by mauidj
    • http://www.raymasters.com
« Reply #42 on: May 03, 2008, 05:54:49 PM »
I originally purchased Amiga Forever in 2004.
They offer no instructions or any means for a non programmer to get the software working on an Apple computer.
After weeks of trying to just get to the point of seeing something on my Mac screen I contacted Cloanto.
And contacted Cloanto...and contacted Cloanto.
Not one stinking reply.
Fast forward 2007.
I decided to try again with Amiga Forever 2006.
Once again, not one word of instructions that made any sense to this long time Amiga and Apple user.
After weeks of trying to get anything on my Mac screen I screwed up and erased the program. So I tried to download it again. But it had a 1 month time limit on it!  One lousy month and you lose what you paid for.
So I contacted Cloanto.
And contacted Cloanto...and contacted Cloanto.
Nada!
So I get a program with one month time limit on it and no instructions on how to use it.
Sorry to upset some of you, but this company sucks!
The end.  :madashell:
MacBook Pro 17" 2.33GHz, e-uae, WB3.9.

Offline AmiKit

« Reply #43 on: May 03, 2008, 06:19:48 PM »

Offline mauidj

• Show only replies by mauidj
    • http://www.raymasters.com
« Reply #44 on: May 03, 2008, 06:30:28 PM »

AmiKit wrote:
Does this help?
http://www.amigaforever.com/mac/

Unfortunately to this dim bulb it does not, but thanks for the word.
Also it will not get back my one month old copy of AF 2006.  :pissed:
MacBook Pro 17" 2.33GHz, e-uae, WB3.9.