Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Amibian: Light Weight UAE Distro for the Raspberry Pi 3  (Read 4454 times)

Description:

Offline XDelusionTopic starter

• Alien Breeder
    • Show only replies by XDelusion
    • http://starwarslegacy.net/
Amibian: Light Weight UAE Distro for the Raspberry Pi 3
« on: September 04, 2016, 10:15:35 AM »
We've had such things before bu the options were bloated.

Now comes AmiBian, the most light weight UAE distro for the Raspberry Pi 3!

Amibian:  gunkrist79.wixsite.com/amibian

Facebook:  https://www.facebook.com/groups/1628461327432398/

There are of course other distros which can also be found in the Facebook link.
Earth has a lot of things other folks might want... like the whole planet. And maybe these folks would like a few changes made, like more carbon dioxide in the atmosphere and room for their way of life. - William S. Burroughs

Offline Methanoid

• Show only replies by Methanoid
Re: Amibian: Light Weight UAE Distro for the Raspberry Pi 3
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2016, 12:29:43 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bHFcM8Ka3Sg

There are other videos showing it booting quite fast

• Alien Breeder
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2016, 02:38:41 PM »
Yes, it boots faster than a real Amiga, and it is able to run ADOOM and Breathless full speed!

It's got a few bugs as expected, but this is a LOT better than I was expecting!
Earth has a lot of things other folks might want... like the whole planet. And maybe these folks would like a few changes made, like more carbon dioxide in the atmosphere and room for their way of life. - William S. Burroughs

Offline Amigamia

• Show only replies by Amigamia
    • http://www.arosworld.org
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2016, 11:51:51 AM »
I wonder if it will run on the Orange Pi
Check out  AROSWORLD.ORG

• Alien Breeder
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2016, 01:16:23 PM »
I don't know, but I hope it does because it is amazing, even on the modest Pi 3.

Offline kolla

« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2016, 01:36:40 PM »
I wouldn't call it modest, it has 4 cores to play with and I am quite confident that uae4arm is not capable of utilizing more than one of them, in principle you can run 4 instances of uae4arm at once on it without much penalty speedwise ;)
B5D6A1D019D5D45BCC56F4782AC220D8B3E2A6CC
---
A3000/060CSPPC+CVPPC/128MB + 256MB BigRAM/Deneb USB
A4000/CS060/Mediator4000Di/Voodoo5/128MB
A1200/Blz1260/IndyAGA/192MB
A1200/Blz1260/64MB
A1200/Blz1230III/32MB
A1200/ACA1221
A600/V600v2/Subway USB
A600/Apollo630/32MB
A600/A6095
CD32/SX32/32MB/Plipbox
CD32/TF328
A500/V500v2
A500/MTec520
CDTV
MiSTer, MiST, FleaFPGAs and original Minimig
Peg1, SAM440 and Mac minis with MorphOS

• Alien Breeder
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2016, 02:28:56 PM »
Tis really a shame that it does not utilize more cores. One per chip for instance... :)

Offline TuKo

• Show only replies by TuKo
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2016, 11:10:29 PM »
Uae4arm dev is speeding up those days. I hope it will get RDB support.

Offline Gryfon

« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2016, 12:44:58 AM »
Given it a try but getting trouble with the config (F12) screen - it renders in an unusable resolution for the monitor I have on my Pi 3, so I cannot configure the options to truly have a play.  Anyone have any idea how to set the config-screen resolution in Amibian?  I've posted on their website but radio silence so far...
\\"We should take off and nuke the entire site from orbit.  It's the only way to be sure.\\" Ripley, Aliens

• Alien Breeder
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2016, 12:50:38 PM »
Quote from: Gryfon;813996
Given it a try but getting trouble with the config (F12) screen - it renders in an unusable resolution for the monitor I have on my Pi 3, so I cannot configure the options to truly have a play.  Anyone have any idea how to set the config-screen resolution in Amibian?  I've posted on their website but radio silence so far...

I didn't have any issues my self, so I'm not sure how to answer.

I do know that the web site seems kind of barren as it is new, but the Facebook link is very active. You should be able to get quick help there... in theory.

Offline Gryfon

« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2016, 08:36:43 PM »
Had the perfect response; edited two lines out of config.txt and I can see the confi screen perfectly.

Off to have a play now. Interesting times!
\\"We should take off and nuke the entire site from orbit.  It's the only way to be sure.\\" Ripley, Aliens

Offline adonay

• Show only replies by adonay
    • http://www.freewebs.com/adonay-/index.htm
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2016, 10:42:53 AM »
Played allot with this lately and I must say it runs quite well
A1200 ACA 1230

• Alien Breeder
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2016, 12:42:35 PM »
Awesome, glad you guys got it going!!!

Offline Gryfon

« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2016, 03:08:31 PM »
Strangely now I can no longer get the emulator to work...

Before I removed the two lines of HDMI references from the config.txt in \boot\ I was able to apply the (legally purchased :) ) Cloanto 2016 A1200 3.1 Kickstart ROM and the Cloanto Workbench 3.1 HDF and boot up fine.  But because I couldn't see the config GUI I couldn't change most of the settings or save a config.

Now I have two issues:

a)  The Kickstart ROM no longer works.  Even if I configure an entry level A1200, no CPU extras or RAM or HDF or floppies etc. keeping it plain as possible, as soon as I close the config screen to start the emulation I get a black screen.  At this point F12 stops working too, the PI freezes up completely and I have to manually reboot it.  I even reformatted the  SD card, re-imaged Amibian, re-sized the partition, edited the two config lines and tried again, same issue.  Tried the A1200 3.0 ROM, same problem.

b) If I try to create my own config, clicking "Save" freezes the system immediately, each time, with Save button showing pressed in and the mouse not moving.  Reset is the only way out of this.

I understand a new build is on the way and a lot of work is going into making this as stable as possible.  I'll keep playing - tonight I'll try another SD card, try not editing out the boot lines and other variants.  I'm very keen to use a streamlined Amiga-only distro with the Pi and hope to provide my own limited assistance to others once I get going, at least until I can get my hands on an FPGA Arcade (Laurent are you there? Can we have a pre-order page please?).

Offline Gryfon

« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2016, 04:10:40 PM »
UPDATE:

I joined the Facebook group linked to on the Amibian website - lots of posts and interesting info.  Recommended to include the key.rom file with the Kickstart ROMS, when I copy them over, when using Cloanto ROMs.  Will try after work and see if that fixes the issue.

Really looking forward to this!