Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: How fast is MorphOS?  (Read 6665 times)

Description:

Offline DanTopic starter

• Show only replies by Dan
How fast is MorphOS?
« on: August 02, 2003, 02:52:21 PM »
How fast is the 68k emulation in MorphOS compared to a 060-50Mhz?
UAE on my PC is 6 times faster than my A1200 060-50Mhz, I clocked it when decoding jpgs in Collector, is Pegasos/MorphOS faster than that?
How about the PPC JIT for MorphOS?
Apple did it right the first time, bring back the Newton!

Offline KennyR

• Show only replies by KennyR
    • http://wrongpla.net
Re: How fast is MorphOS?
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2003, 03:14:05 PM »
Believe me, MOS on Pegasos feels a lot faster than UAE on any PC, gigahertz CPU or not. Pure emulators just don't come close.

Offline Triumph

• Show only replies by Triumph
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2003, 03:36:05 PM »
In emulation speed with a 'outdated' Trance (nov '02) it is sligtly slower that a Amitlon on a Athlon 1700+.
I did test this with the use of Pagestream4.1 x .
And also slightly slower on UAE on my laptop 2.4 Ghz P4.
It is just a 'feeling' test. As I don't belive in 'numbers' but more in everyday use.

Offline Dietmar

• Show only replies by Dietmar
    • http://devplex.awardspace.biz
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2003, 04:42:55 PM »
Believe me, MOS on Pegasos feels a lot faster than UAE on any PC, gigahertz CPU or not. Pure emulators just don't come close.

Below are the compilation times of a program (GoldED) compiled with SAS/C under UAE, UAE with JIT and MOS without JIT. Compilation is a reasonable test for raw performance. Integer performance obviously. The compiler is run with precompiled headers to take HD speed out of the equation.

UAE 0.8.17r3 is used, which is not the latest version, for obscure personal reasone: it works better with a tablet. The PC@1.4 GHz has 512 MB DDR-RAM, 40 GB Maxtor HD and 160 GB RAID; Maxtor used for test. The Pegasos@600MHz has 256 MB SD-RAM and a 40 GB Barracuda IDE.

UAE /w JIT: 1: 59 min
UAE no JIT: 11:52 min
MorphOS 1.3 no JIT: 4:19 min

Given those figures, the PC with UAE+JIT is about 2.5 times faster than MorphOS. However, the PC's CPU is also clocked 2.3 times faster. A crude guesstimate would be that a Pegasos/MOS1.3 and UAE/JIT are running emulated code equally fast on CPUs with the same clock frequency.

Now the interesting part: JIT massively contributes to the speed of UAE. JIT makes UAE compile seven times faster. If JIT for Pegasos (which will start shipping with MOS1.4?) has an effect anything like that, it is quite possible that a Pegasos at 600MHz will, with respect to emulated code, meet or exceed the performance of very fast PCs.

Offline seer

• Show only replies by seer
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2003, 04:47:50 PM »
And offcourse it will be even better if/when native MOS programs are used.. IMHO that's far more interesting then emulated programs.
~
Everything you say will be misquoted and used against you.
~

Offline Dietmar

• Show only replies by Dietmar
    • http://devplex.awardspace.biz
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2003, 04:53:08 PM »
To put numbers above a bit into perspective, it took 3.5 hours to compile the four different versions (68000-68040) on an A3000/25 ;)

Offline Cymric

• Show only replies by Cymric
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2003, 05:07:58 PM »
@Dietmar:

Dear lord. And then to think we once thought the A3000 to be the hottest thing since sliced bread... How did we ever manage with those machines?
Some people say that cats are sneaky, evil and cruel. True, and they have many other fine qualities as well.

Offline Targhan

• Show only replies by Targhan
    • http://www.geocities.com/targhan_aga
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2003, 05:19:31 PM »
Gyah!!!  3.5 hours... geez, that is some compile time! (the A3000).

I think everyone is sitting on pins and needles waiting for MorphOS1.4 to make it's appearance. :-)

But to the original question, MorphOS (1.3) is very quick.  I suspect 1.4 with the Trance JIT will scream.  One can simply go to the AmiGOD website and confirm this.  A G3 Pegasos and some 2+ Ghz Amithlon based PC have been banging it out for the top spot there.  I even submitted my numbers to the site :-)
Regards,
Targhan

Offline Targhan

• Show only replies by Targhan
    • http://www.geocities.com/targhan_aga
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2003, 05:24:13 PM »

The AmiGOD 2 Benchmark Page is a good place to look at system performance for Amiga(like) systems.

Have fun! :-D
Regards,
Targhan

Offline redrumloa

• Original Omega User
    • Show only replies by redrumloa
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2003, 05:30:13 PM »
Yes! MOS1.3 on my 600Mhz Peggy is the fastest Amiga-like experience I have ever used, and this is before JIT. I used to own a 060/66-Voodoo3 based A3000, and it wasn't even close. I can only imagine what MOS1.4 with JIT will bring. I await not so patiently:-D
Someone has to state the obvious and that someone is me!

Offline Kronos

• Resident blue troll
    • Show only replies by Kronos
    • http://www.SteamDraw.de
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2003, 06:15:19 PM »
@seer

You don't really need native SW for that !

Lot of SW spends most of the time in OS-functions, and those are PPC-native
even if the SW is only 68k. GoldED/MorphED is a perfect example for that,
and feels faster than on Amithlon (AthonXP1600)  :-D
1. Make an announcment.
2. Wait a while.
3. Check if it can actually be done.
4. Wait for someone else to do it.
5. Start working on it while giving out hillarious progress-reports.
6. Deny that you have ever announced it
7. Blame someone else

Offline downix

• Show only replies by downix
    • http://www.applemonthly.com
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2003, 07:45:24 PM »
Now the interesting part: as you can see, JIT massively contributes to the speed of UAE: JIT makes UAE compile seven times faster in my tests. If JIT for Pegasos (which will start shipping with MOS1.4?) has an effect anything like that, it is quite possible that a Pegasos at 600MHz will, with respect to emulated code, meet or exceed the performance of very fast PCs.

Part of the reason for this is because under UAE one is not just emulating the program, but all of the libs and modules used as well.  Under MorphOS, all of those are running natively, so the only thing being emulated is the program itself.  As a result, the performance jump for JIT will not be as dramatic on the Pegasos as on the Athlon, but it will still be dramatic.
Try blazedmongers new Free Universal Computer kit, available with the GUI toolkit Your Own Universe, the popular IT edition, Extremely Reliable System for embedded work, Enhanced Database development and Wide Area Development system for telecommuting.

Offline Merko

• Show only replies by Merko
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2003, 07:54:25 PM »
I would expect MorphOS with JIT to be faster than this, definitely.
Btw exactly how did you do the test? I could do it, but I'm not sure
what you mean. Decoding a single jpeg doesn't take enough time to
clock it.. I'm not familiar with Collector, maybe there's some batch
mode that you used. I could try it if you'd like some hard figures.

Offline Cymric

• Show only replies by Cymric
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2003, 09:01:46 PM »
Kronos wrote:
... Lot of SW spends most of the time in OS-functions, and those are PPC-native even if the SW is only 68k. GoldED/MorphED is a perfect example for that, and feels faster than on Amithlon (AthonXP1600)  :-D

I think that GoldED, like any other event-driven program, spends most of its time waiting for user input rather than in OS-functions. I also think that much of speed gain you feel is simply the fact of having a 600 MHz CPU at your disposal, with a flat Amiga-like memory space. (I'm not sure though, the feature list of MorphOS is inconclusive as to what kind of virtual memory/memory protection it offers. Can some kind soul please explain?) But it's definitely nice to see that old programs just breeze along. Now hope and pray that once people start developing seriously, and taking advantage of CPU speed, programs continues to breeze ;-).
Some people say that cats are sneaky, evil and cruel. True, and they have many other fine qualities as well.

Offline IonDeluxe

• Show only replies by IonDeluxe
« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2003, 09:16:09 PM »
Morphos is exactly as fast as terminal velocity allows from my hand to the trash heap, which is to say about 3msec.

I\\\'d post something satirical, but I\\\'m afraid it might get used as genuine evidence in the Thendic Amiga trial!