Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Windows worldwide market share is stuck at 15% and falling  (Read 9119 times)

Description:

Offline SysAdminTopic starter

• News posting Auto Agent
    • Show only replies by SysAdmin
    • http://www.a-eon.com
Posts on this account before August 4th, 2012 don\'t belong to me.

Offline rebraist

• Show only replies by rebraist
Re: Windows worldwide market share is stuck at 15% and falling
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2013, 11:33:47 AM »
A good joke.
That article sums potatoes and cabbages... windows and android.
I repeat, a good joke.
If you talk about mobile os, well windows has not even 1%...

This is wikipedia, september 2013. With windows at about 90% (as always it's been) for desktop systems.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usage_share_of_operating_systems
I\'m not an heretic: an heretic is a morphos user! I\'m a perverted: i\'m an aros user!
edit:...i\'m now an heretic perverted... i\'m a morpharosian...
Evil has no limits... I\'ve even os4.1 too...
Is there in my house any space to sleep still?

Offline bloodline

• Master Sock Abuser
    • Show only replies by bloodline
    • http://www.troubled-mind.com
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2013, 01:38:49 PM »
I'm curious why people as so quick to discount iOS and Android as "Not proper operating systems"... It has the feel of someone in the early 80's discounting microcomputers as not real computers...

The truth is, most people use their tablet/iPad/smart phone for almost all day to day computing tasks. The desktop is becoming as much a relic as mainframes and minicomputers have now become.

Offline gertsy

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by gertsy
    • http://www.members.optusnet.com.au/~gbakker64/
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2013, 01:42:30 PM »
Quote from: rebraist;750778
A good joke.
That article sums potatoes and cabbages... windows and android.
I repeat, a good joke.

This is wikipedia, september 2013. With windows at about 90% (as always it's been) for desktop systems.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usage_share_of_operating_systems

Hello everybody. Market share is simply based on quarterly sales, not saturation, distribution or overall popularity. Producers want you to believe market share is everything because they want an industry that simply runs on sales. Not quality or reliability or saturation.
Usage share and market share are 2 different beasties.

Scoff at market share.

@bloodline. Agree with everything up until the last point. They're all personal computing devices with different form factors and peripherals. I'm not going to try and do a 20 page presentation on a Tablet, Or a network diagram on a smart phone. The breadth of usage has increased to cover more devices. Additionally most people keep a desktop or Laptop for 4-5 years but a tablet / smart phone for 2-3 years. 1:2 ratio. Market share is a dangerous master because it skews the story in favour of faster turn around popularity. Exactly what the producers want.

PS: The truth is, saying "the truth is" at the start of a sentence doesn't convert a view to the truth. ;)
« Last Edit: October 22, 2013, 02:09:04 PM by gertsy »

Offline nicholas

« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2013, 02:03:03 PM »
15%?

Apparently Ubuntu comes pre-installed on 10% of all new computers these days I would have thought that the other 90% was mostly Windows and at least 10% OSX.

I don't like to lump Android/iOS/WP/Blackberry in with the figures for computer sales personally.
“Een rezhim-i eshghalgar-i Quds bayad az sahneh-i ruzgar mahv shaved.” - Imam Ayatollah Sayyed  Ruhollah Khomeini

Offline nicholas

« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2013, 02:06:23 PM »
Quote from: bloodline;750782
I'm curious why people as so quick to discount iOS and Android as "Not proper operating systems"... It has the feel of someone in the early 80's discounting microcomputers as not real computers...

The truth is, most people use their tablet/iPad/smart phone for almost all day to day computing tasks. The desktop is becoming as much a relic as mainframes and minicomputers have now become.

They are "proper operating systems" of course but I still like to keep them separate for now.

It's not like people develop for Android/iOS on Android/iOS devices yet. (I know one can but it's not common place yet)

Give it another 5yrs and things will probably change in that direction though.
“Een rezhim-i eshghalgar-i Quds bayad az sahneh-i ruzgar mahv shaved.” - Imam Ayatollah Sayyed  Ruhollah Khomeini

Offline bloodline

• Master Sock Abuser
    • Show only replies by bloodline
    • http://www.troubled-mind.com
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2013, 02:21:27 PM »
Quote from: nicholas;750786
They are "proper operating systems" of course but I still like to keep them separate for now.

It's not like people develop for Android/iOS on Android/iOS devices yet. (I know one can but it's not common place yet)

Give it another 5yrs and things will probably change in that direction though.

That's why I was careful to say that the desktop is becoming a relic, soon it will be relegated to the workplaces and homes of people who actually need one... I expect most people will be content to use much more lightweight devices :)

Offline hbarcellos

• Show only replies by hbarcellos
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2013, 02:48:57 PM »
Quote from: bloodline;750782

Want to know why?
Because at the 90's, with Internet, computers received a bunch of "appliance" users willing to play with it. Now, those users are moving away back to the Appliance world: Microwave, VHS Players, Blu-Ray Players, TIVO, Tablets,...

People who "work" with computers, would NOT move to a full-screen apps/touch only device.

Big Screen, Window Manager, Keyboard and Mouse are FASTER to work with.

And then, journalists who know computers just because of the Internet, keep pushing for "the death of PC" or "the post pc area"

The only bad news is that, without the proper volume, prices would sky high again, as they used to be at the beginning of the 90s.

Sooner or later, regular people will realize that... :)
}~ A1200 - Apollo 68040 - HOTLY running OS 3.1
}~ Powerbook G4 1.67 running MorphOS 3.2 without Wifi.
}~ Powermac Quicksilver 933 with Radeon 9600 XT (r300) LOUDLY running MorphOS 3.2
}~ [MY iOS GAME]: http://goo.gl/S9nWB (Amiga users can get it FREE[/color], just ask me)

Offline psxphill

« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2013, 02:59:02 PM »
Quote from: rebraist;750778

It will be interesting what happens with Microsoft owning Nokia. Everyone I know who has a windows phone loves it.

All phone OS' are fragmented right now, writing software that is compatible across all Android phones is very complex.

If Microsoft support phones as well as they supported PC's through the years then I think they might even gain some success.

Offline hbarcellos

• Show only replies by hbarcellos
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2013, 03:14:45 PM »
Quote from: psxphill;750793
It will be interesting what happens with Microsoft owning Nokia. Everyone I know who has a windows phone loves it.

All phone OS' are fragmented right now, writing software that is compatible across all Android phones is very complex.

If Microsoft support phones as well as they supported PC's through the years then I think they might even gain some success.

I had a Lumia 920 before the LCD corrupted (I had to send it back to Europe for repair under warranty).
Something really annoying is that it lacks some stupid features like Bluetooth HID. What it means? I cant connect a BT keyboard for example...
Besides being really heavy, the other point I felt it a little subjective. At least for me, it feels claustrophobic! All that screen space and so little things to do...
}~ A1200 - Apollo 68040 - HOTLY running OS 3.1
}~ Powerbook G4 1.67 running MorphOS 3.2 without Wifi.
}~ Powermac Quicksilver 933 with Radeon 9600 XT (r300) LOUDLY running MorphOS 3.2
}~ [MY iOS GAME]: http://goo.gl/S9nWB (Amiga users can get it FREE[/color], just ask me)

Offline psxphill

« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2013, 03:37:42 PM »
Quote from: hbarcellos;750795
I cant connect a BT keyboard for example...
Besides being really heavy, the other point I felt it a little subjective. At least for me, it feels claustrophobic! All that screen space and so little things to do...

It is true that it suffers from lack of apps. Bluetooth keyboard is a minority feature for a phone, although I'd expect that they will support it eventually as they move phones towards Windows 8.

Offline AmigaNG

• Show only replies by AmigaNG
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2013, 03:58:22 PM »
I think SteamOS has a real chance of hurting windows even more as a lot of the core gamers are not that happy with Windows 8 direction, lose them and more and more of the market will shift. Interesting times.

Offline Honkybear

• Show only replies by Honkybear
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2013, 04:48:17 PM »
Quote from: gertsy;750783
Hello everybody. Market share is simply based on quarterly sales, not saturation, distribution or overall popularity. Producers want you to believe market share is everything because they want an industry that simply runs on sales. Not quality or reliability or saturation.
Usage share and market share are 2 different beasties.

Scoff at market share.

@bloodline. Agree with everything up until the last point. They're all personal computing devices with different form factors and peripherals. I'm not going to try and do a 20 page presentation on a Tablet, Or a network diagram on a smart phone. The breadth of usage has increased to cover more devices. Additionally most people keep a desktop or Laptop for 4-5 years but a tablet / smart phone for 2-3 years. 1:2 ratio. Market share is a dangerous master because it skews the story in favour of faster turn around popularity. Exactly what the producers want.

PS: The truth is, saying "the truth is" at the start of a sentence doesn't convert a view to the truth. ;)

Well said
A600 ,ECS, ACA620EC ,A604
Mini MAC 1.42Ghz Morphos 3.3

Offline foleyjo

• Show only replies by foleyjo
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2013, 05:04:07 PM »
Stuck and falling?
So is it stuck or falling as it can't be both.

I'm also fed up of these anti Microsoft debates. Another reason I barely come here now

Offline gaula92

• Show only replies by gaula92
« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2013, 05:09:30 PM »
Ah.. The fall of Microsoft, what a beautiful dream. A world where the desktop computers are all Linux/Amiga/Risc OS niche powerstations where we can program, play and create without having to spot a single Microsoft app.
At the same time, non tech-saavy people can have their tablets and smartphones, too.

Desktop hardware prices won't skyrocket: look at the Raspberry Pi, the Cubie2 or the IFC6410 SBCs. That's where the desktop is going after the fall of the Dark Lord.
What a party I will make when Microsoft goes belly-up!