Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Laptop Amiga PPC?  (Read 2195 times)

Description:

Laptop Amiga PPC?
« on: January 17, 2003, 03:21:31 PM »
What do you think about an Amiga PPC laptop?
it's possible but, how much it cost?
I need a laptop for work and i would like an Amiga Laptop!

Offline DaveP

• Show only replies by DaveP
Re: Laptop Amiga PPC?
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2003, 03:29:40 PM »
If you need an Amiga laptop surely it would be useless for work?

If someone can persaude IBM to ressurect their PPC based Thinkpads ( last seen 1997 IIRC ) and someone steps up as reseller to license them for AmigaOS then it would cost the same as a normal laptop.

Alternatively the same for PowerBooks, no reason someone couldnt set up a license with Amiga to resell on Powerbooks in quantity with AmigaOS. If they have the capital and the business plan.

Possible, but not probable.
Hate figure. :lol:

Offline Senex

• Show only replies by Senex
    • http://www.amiga-news.de/standard
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2003, 03:30:11 PM »
Either you wait for the Eclipsis or for MorphOS for Apple computers.

I don't see any other possibility at the moment (except for using emulators on x86 notebooks), unless you find a way to fit the CPU-module and the graphics-board horizontally onto the micro-ATX Pegasos mainboard.

Offline DaveP

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2003, 03:35:10 PM »
@Senex

"Either you wait for the Eclipsis  or for MorphOS for Apple computers."

Then they will be waiting a long time for the former and maybe forever for the latter. Just why would "Genesi" undermine their own Pegasos product by allowing people to buy MorphOS for Apple computers?

This "Eclipsis" is just vapour, at least the Pegasos exists here & now.

If the guy/gal needs it for work they will have probably got to get it within the next few weeks anyway so this is academic. It is going to be an x86/AMD based laptop.

Offline Senex

• Show only replies by Senex
    • http://www.amiga-news.de/standard
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2003, 04:02:41 PM »
At least its been said already several times that MOS on Mac would be planned. And since the big gap in price between Macs and Pegasos, I don't see any risk for Genesi to do so. I rather see several people interested in MacOS who'll choose the cheaper Pegasos instead of Apple's hardware once it has been adapted by someone for it (or right now already using MOL).

Regarding the Eclipsis: of course it isn't here yet, but that there's no (PPC-based) Amiga-notebook-solution right now has been certainly clear to the original poster.

Offline DaveP

« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2003, 04:29:09 PM »
"least its been said already several times that MOS on Mac would be planned"

Not is planned then?

That is like saying I will think about thinking about it.  :-P

Offline elendil

• Show only replies by elendil
    • http://www.idiot.fnuck.dk
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2003, 04:59:14 PM »
I hate _desktop_ computers and will continue to do so for as long as I live in this small apartment :)

If someone would throw out an amiga laptop, make a deal with ibm, or 'port' os4 for ibooks/powerbooks I would be very happy and promise the guy(s) a beer. I would rather pay 1k pounds for an ibook with os4 than 1k pounds for an up-to-date a1 with new hardware. I am much committed to little laptops I can play with while travelling.

And that I can easily move around at home. I hate sitting with my computer at one place for days...

Most would probably rather want a desktop computer that is easy and cheap to upgrade, though, so I guess I will have to get one of those too. Not that that is bad, it is just not...mobile.

Sincerely,

-Kenneth Straarup.

PS: I do actually spend days at the same place with my amiga. I would not dream of moving that big, heavy a4k anywhere :-)

Offline Jose

• Show only replies by Jose
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2003, 05:08:24 PM »
You'll be able to easily get a lapttop Amiga computer for the price of an ordinary laptop, and with maybe even cooler features.

Just wait till transmeta CPUs run PPC software. It's not emulation it's same as native!!!
This would could also be true for 68k, though it's likely that will never happen. PPC on the other hand is expected, and was promised somime ago.
That would be cool.
Then all is needed is for Hyperion to writte the correspondent HAL drivers :-D
\\"We made Amiga, they {bleep}ed it up\\"

Offline Thellenbow

• Show only replies by Thellenbow
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2003, 07:20:45 PM »
Do any of you remember a company in Virginia that came up with a way of making laptops out of A4000, 3000, 2000 ect.? I recall seeing a demo of the thing and the one thing that made the price so high ($1800) was the screen. Back then the screen was $1500 itself. Today with the BIG drop in laptop screen cost, this might be a way to do it. Of course, it wasn't really a laptop but more like a portable computer. Still, if someone come up with an intergrated MB like a PowerBook G4 and had the needed dongle(sp) it could work.  You could probably build a portable with the new boards if they have intergrated video, audio, mouse and keyboard ports. Not being a hardware guru, I could be off base.
\\"Some things are true even if you don\\\'t believe in them\\" - City of Angels

Offline amigau

• Show only replies by amigau
    • http://www.amigau.com
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2003, 08:07:36 PM »
probably Silent Paw productions, no?  They were pretty huge 'laptops', though.

I think the best option at present (now that amithlon is probably dead) is to use Winblows with Amiga Forever on an x86, unfortunately.  If you have enough ram on the machine, AF runs great, the slowdown is usually due to winblows' (over)use of RAM.

for example, I used AF 5.0 on my win2K laptop with 128mb RAM, pretty slow but when I bumped it up to 384mb ram, VERY fast.

kevin orme
amiga university
www.amigau.com

Offline iamaboringperson

• Show only replies by iamaboringperson
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2003, 10:29:17 PM »
i would certainly be interested in purchacing an 'amiga' notebook!!
ppc based...
AOS 4....
whoooo!!!

Offline Targhan

• Show only replies by Targhan
    • http://www.geocities.com/targhan_aga
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2003, 11:26:08 PM »
A lot of people would be interested in an Amiga/MorphOS laptop.  I think some sort of portable could be constructed using the mini-atx used by the Pegasos, but I haven't done the research to *really* know.

However, I wouldn't put anything past the resellers building something as close as they can ;-)  
Regards,
Targhan

Offline strobe

• Show only replies by strobe
    • http://216.239.51.100/search?q=cache:7XQQZXN3cS4C:www.amiga.com/corporate/amigadepartypack.shtml
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2003, 01:05:06 AM »
By the time you get a Powerbook (like the one I'm typing this on) you'll soon forget about the Amiga.

« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2003, 05:00:53 AM »
I suppose fiting a lcd display on a A1200 would not do the trick?

Offline Quixote

• Show only replies by Quixote
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2003, 06:23:03 AM »
strobe stated:
By the time you get a Powerbook (like the one I'm typing this on) you'll soon forget about the Amiga.

;-) Maybe you would.  I own an Apple Powerbook myself, and I would like nothing better than to be able to run Amiga OS on it.  (Natively, of course.  Mac UAE is only so-so.)