Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: What were the worst games to come out on the Amiga?!  (Read 5268 times)

Description:

Offline Paul_Gadd

• Show only replies by Paul_Gadd
    • http://elunatic.host.sk/start.html
Re: What were the worst games to come out on the Amiga?!
« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2003, 06:00:27 PM »
Tales from Heaven - AF claimed it as the Mario killer, bad graphics, bad gameplay, just bad all around.

Offline nac

• Show only replies by nac
« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2003, 06:00:36 PM »
Worst games I saw:

Night Breed the adventure game, never understood it.
Cool World, boring and repetative.
Captain Planet and the Planeteers.

Offline Epyx

• Show only replies by Epyx
« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2003, 06:51:34 PM »
Worst games without a doubt are those I blame for helping kill the Amiga...

Ultima VI
Wing Commander
Kings Quest 5

Ultima VI was programmed from the ground up on an IBM/Clone development platform and after Origins' abysmal failure with Ultima V (remember the 1 track soundtrack anyone?) they had an opportunity to redeem themselves...this wasn't it...slow as molasses on a 68000 because it uses custom IBM/Clone CPU blitting routines.

Wing Commander was probably the most disgraceful port ever...the 68000 could have handled the blitting for the ships with its eyes closed but instead we had to suffer through brutal CPU driven blitting calculations that brought our 68000s to a standstill...utterly, utterly disgraceful.

Kings Quest 5 could (with my limited Amiga hardware knowledge) have been programmed in Extra Half bright mode which would have allowed for a much more colourful palette of 64 colours as opposed to 32. Can someone explain to me why your main character moving alone over a static bitmap brought the mighty Amiga to its knees...

answer:  not only did this terrible port use custom CPU blitting routines that didn't take advantage of the Amiga's hardware it also was built using an interpretive engine which created yet more work for the Amiga...thumbs down to the lazy buggers at Sierra. Should have been more colourful with a ripping soundtrack but alas...it wasn't.

These three games as mentioned in the Amiga downfall thread in the Hardware section are what I blame for many things...utterly disgraceful and abysmal...shame on Origina and Sierra.

Offline that_punk_guy

• Show only replies by that_punk_guy
« Reply #17 on: October 17, 2003, 06:57:12 PM »
Days of Thunder.

Absolute willies.

Offline that_punk_guy

• Show only replies by that_punk_guy
« Reply #18 on: October 17, 2003, 06:59:12 PM »

Epyx wrote:

Kings Quest 5 could (with my limited Amiga hardware knowledge) have been programmed in Extra Half bright mode...

I thought EHB was introduced with the ECS chipset. If it's an old game it would have been programmed to run on OCS.

Offline Epyx

• Show only replies by Epyx
« Reply #19 on: October 17, 2003, 07:12:35 PM »
Kings Quest 5 was 1990 or 1991 on the IBM...and the port for the Amiga came out in 1991 so definately for ECS capable machines...

Not sure what machines had it or not...I could swear I remember Delux paint allowing me to use that mode on my Amiga 500 though.

UPDATE: Researching this it looks like the only machines that couldn't do EHB were some earlier Amiga 1000s that lacked the revised Denise...later 1000s and all Amiga 500 and up could do this mode.

Offline redrumloa

• Original Omega User
    • Show only replies by redrumloa
« Reply #20 on: October 17, 2003, 07:33:39 PM »
Wow some people are waaaay off! I hear people mentioning games that may have been disapointing, but certainly not the worst!

The worst games for the Amiga was quite a long list, there were more crappy games than any other platform. My guess is because lazy programmers simply ported the IBM version or ST/64 version instead writing specific Amiga version.

Let's see.. Some of the worst offenders.. Anything Titus ever made, god they sucked :-x Titus may have singlehandedly killed the Amiga. Umm.. The Amiga versions of Double Dragon were really, really bad. Made a Vic20 blush :-x
Someone has to state the obvious and that someone is me!

Offline Aegis

• Show only replies by Aegis
    • http://www.survivorfilms.co.uk
« Reply #21 on: October 17, 2003, 07:41:22 PM »
A long time back I used to work at HMV in London's Oxford Street. When I started they'd just begun stocking video games - mostly Amiga, Atari ST and PC titles.

This was the year Captain Planet came out and was hotly tipped to be THE game that Xmas. When I came on board they were looking for someone to head up the games dept. - I knew pretty much everything there was to know about games at that time but had very little retail experience (particularly on that scale) so most of my purchasing was pretty small - 5 of this, 10 of that.

Coming up to Christmas though I was worried we were gonna run out of stock of key titles so I made a list of these key products and gave it to a manager (Mike something-or-other) to take care of the levels. BIG MISTAKE.

Mike was used to ordering top-selling CDs, videos and vinyl - It was pretty distressing when Captain Planet came in and it was absolute @#!$ - what was more distressing was that Mike had ordered 1000+ copies... Man, I couldn't give 'em away - they sat on the shelves for YEARS... They're probably in a landfill now...
Catapultem habeo. Nisi pecuniam amnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam.
I have a catapult. Give me all the money, or I will fling an enormous rock at your head.

Offline mingle

• Show only replies by mingle
« Reply #22 on: October 17, 2003, 08:28:05 PM »
Whatchya taking' about - Outrun was great!

I think the game that bit the weiner the most was "Afterburner" - which I think was called "Afterburner USA" on the Amiga.

The arcade game was actually pretty good, but the conversion was an absolute stinker...

Offline 6

• Show only replies by 6
    • http://www.zazzle.com/Myassaboy
« Reply #23 on: October 17, 2003, 09:15:09 PM »
Who Framed Roger Rabbit?
CDTV Pinball

There are others, but ... here comes Rover
gotta go
God made apes, but he used a human to do it.
Man fit the plan, apes are here to prove it.
We can walk like a man, talk like a man, do what humans do.
Yes god made apes but a human supplied the glue.

Offline Borut

• Show only replies by Borut
    • http://www.crt-software.com
« Reply #24 on: October 17, 2003, 09:37:07 PM »
Crazy Cars made me cry - so bad it is!

Offline Brian

• Show only replies by Brian
    • http://www.syntaxsociety.se
« Reply #25 on: October 17, 2003, 09:58:28 PM »
Here you ppl sit and knock perfektly playable games (ok not all of them but quite a few) when there is an obvious winner for this Worst Game Award named "Colorado".

Offline lempkee

• Show only replies by lempkee
    • http://www.amigaguru.com
« Reply #26 on: October 17, 2003, 10:08:03 PM »
titus mad some very good games!

titus the fox , prehistoric (yes i like that, though its amos) and their best amiga game ... CRAZY CARS III!!!!!!

yummy i loved cc3...
Whats up with all the hate!

Offline Tekoneiric

• Show only replies by Tekoneiric
« Reply #27 on: October 18, 2003, 12:14:23 AM »
Akira! A totally horrible game and I remember talk about how the company tried to force a magazine to give a good review on it.

Offline DarkGlobe

• Show only replies by DarkGlobe
    • http://www.freespeechforum.co.uk
« Reply #28 on: October 18, 2003, 12:52:33 AM »
Last Ninja 2 was a horrid let down after the C64 version.

Streetfighter 2 was awful and made the Amiga look very bad next to the SNES version which was out of this world awesome at the time.

Offline Mad-Matt

• Show only replies by Mad-Matt
    • http://www.madmatt.cjb.net
« Reply #29 from previous page: October 18, 2003, 01:42:20 AM »
Primal Rage didnt trransfer too well either to Amiga, not that it was a particuarly good game to begin with.

Also alot of early miggy stank compared to there c64 counterparts which really pushed the system.  I guess the amigas power just wasnt reachable in the early days ;)  Turboi Outrun comes instantly to mind, brilliant on c64 in both gfx and sound, yet wastotaly crap on miggy, and i agree about the double dragon games.

Another Anoyance was creatures. Played the game to death many time son c64 - brilliant, but it went abit cutsypoo on miggy and the game lost its appeal.