Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: First CD-ROM based game console???  (Read 6941 times)

Description:

Offline adolescent

• Show only replies by adolescent
Re: First CD-ROM based game console???
« Reply #14 from previous page: September 26, 2008, 07:26:31 AM »
@LoadWB

The funny thing is even the wikipedia article Dave linked says the Marty was first.  :-D

@zipper

FM Towns was a computer.  Marty was the consolized version.  (Hmm, where have we seen that before?)
Time to move on.  Bye Amiga.org.  :(

Offline zipper

« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2008, 08:00:01 AM »

FM Towns was a computer.  Marty was the consolized version.  (Hmm, where have we seen that before?)

Yes, the ideology/functionality was very familiar to us. Chicken/egg?

Offline Everblue

• Show only replies by Everblue
« Reply #16 on: September 26, 2008, 11:26:45 AM »

zipper wrote:
And the predecessor:

FM Towns

FM Towns is not a console.

Offline zipper

« Reply #17 on: September 26, 2008, 11:39:48 AM »
Is it so hard to understand the Amiga / FM Towns analogy?

Offline AmigaHeretic

• Show only replies by AmigaHeretic
« Reply #18 on: September 26, 2008, 03:21:10 PM »

DamageX wrote:
The PC-Engine CD-ROM drive attachment was released Dec. 1988. The standalone version PCE Duo wasn't released until Sept. 1991 though.

Playstation is not the first by any stretch of the imagination. Even Saturn was released earlier in the USA.

Exactly!  PC-Engine was what I was thinking.

The show stated incorrectly that the Sony Playstation was the first video game console ever to use the CD-ROM format. The entire episode of this show was about technology of the '90's.

And if they has said " first video game console ever to use the CD-ROM format in the U.S."  it would have been the U.S. version of the PC-Engine, the TurboGrafx 16 right?

A3000D (16mhz, 2MB Chip, 4MB Fast, SCSI (300+MB), SuperGen Genlock, Kick 3.1)
Back in my day, we didn\'t have water. We only had Oxygen and Hydrogen, and we\'d just have to shove them together.

Offline amigadaveTopic starter

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by amigadave
    • http://www.EfficientByDesign.org
« Reply #19 on: September 27, 2008, 12:08:47 AM »

adolescent wrote:

amigadave wrote:

Even the Commodore Amiga CD32, ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amiga_CD32 ) which was the worlds FIRST 32bit CD-ROM based game console was released ahead of the Sony Playstation, as the CD32 was announced in July of 1993 and released in September of 1993, a full 1 year and 3 months ahead of the Sony Playstation.   The CD32 was most definitely a "Game Console".

Usually helps if your correction has correct information.  The CD32, despite what the box says, was not "the world's first 32-bit cd games console". :lol:

Yeah, I screwed up there, but they probably won't bother doing any better research than they did for the show I was complaining about, IF they do any thing at all.

My point was that the 2 Amiga models came out long before the Playstation and that the Amiga is almost always ignored.
How are you helping the Amiga community? :)

Offline RMK305

• Show only replies by RMK305
« Reply #20 on: September 27, 2008, 12:37:55 AM »
Bottom line is that if they ha bothered to research it properly and include some of the "lesser known" (ahem  :roll: ) machines they would have produced a far more interesting and informative programe that would have lead to many enthusiasts looking the machines up on the web to find out even more.
Amiga 4000, Warp Engine 040/40MHz, CV643D with scan doubler module, Tocatta soundcard, Deneb, 72Meg fast ram, 18 gig scsi hard drive.

3xA500, 1xA1200, 1xCD32

Offline Lorraine

• Show only replies by Lorraine
/
« Reply #21 on: September 29, 2008, 11:05:07 PM »
/

Offline amigadaveTopic starter

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by amigadave
    • http://www.EfficientByDesign.org
« Reply #22 on: September 30, 2008, 12:25:07 AM »

RMK305 wrote:
Bottom line is that if they ha bothered to research it properly and include some of the "lesser known" (ahem  :roll: ) machines they would have produced a far more interesting and informative programe that would have lead to many enthusiasts looking the machines up on the web to find out even more.

Not really, the show was not about the Sony Playstation alone, it was about 90's tech that made it big.  So, the show would have been the same, but the only change might have been that they would not have called the Playstation the "First" game console to use the CD format for it's games.

I would like to see them do a show on the Amiga though, but doubt that will ever happen.  I think we, the Amiga fans should produce a video show of the Amiga history from beginning to present.  Who knows, if a professional show is created maybe we might even get it aired on some small cable network somewhere.  Surely there is the talent and video hardware to get it done.

Send all Amiga histories, stories, audio and video clips to me and I will start putting it together on my Toaster/Flyer system in a few months and try to have something completed by mid-year 2009.  Self conducted video interviews of your Amiga recollections and experiences are also welcome.
How are you helping the Amiga community? :)

Offline whabang

• Show only replies by whabang
« Reply #23 on: October 01, 2008, 11:34:21 PM »
Wasn't the Sega Saturn released before the PS1 aswell?
Beating the dead horse since 2002.

Offline SyrTran

• Show only replies by SyrTran
« Reply #24 on: October 02, 2008, 02:43:14 AM »

adolescent wrote:
@LoadWB

The funny thing is even the wikipedia article Dave linked says the Marty was first.  :-D

@zipper

Colecovison/Adam in 1983

Atari 800/5200 in 1982

RCA Studio II, based on the Cosmac VIP kit computer, 1977.  (Some today might not consider the VIP a computer, as it only had a hexadecimal keyboard).

:-D
Tony T.

People who generalize are always wrong.
;-)

A500 (put away), A3000d, Genesis Flyer (A1200 tower with
Toaster/Flyer), and A1XE with OS4pre

Oh, yeah, and this WinXP box with Lightwave 7.5

Offline warpdesign

• Show only replies by warpdesign
    • http://www.warpdesign.fr
« Reply #25 on: October 02, 2008, 08:18:25 AM »

My point was that the 2 Amiga models came out long before the Playstation and that the Amiga is almost always ignored.

And why do you think it is the case ?

Offline darksun9210

« Reply #26 on: October 02, 2008, 10:21:46 AM »
amigas get ignored as if you publish an artical mentioning it in anything but glowing terms, its a surefire way to get your butt chewed by indignant users writing in to complain :-D :lol:

another idea, is that the amount of marketing the machines had at the time seems directly proportional to the amount of mindshare they have in the current day.

amiga seemed to be purely word of mouth, where as, sony had/has quite a bit more marketing clout. i bet even the people in the poorest parts of the world that run tv's off of car batteries have probably heard or even seen/played a gen1 playstation

speaking from a european perspective, i never saw a PC engine turboGraphx16, and the Neogeo was a fantasy machine that no-one could afford :-D but it wouldn't surprise me. the timeline for consoles that used optical storage i know about are (from what i can figure):-

1989 - philips CDi / FM Towns
1991 - Sega MegaCD (genesis CD) / Commodore CDTV / FM Towns Marty
1993 - 3DO / CD32
1995 - Sega Saturn / Sony Playstation
1997 - Projected date for 3DO's M2 but was shelved afaik
1999 - Nintendo Gamecube / Sega Dreamcast / Sony Playstation2
2002 - Microsoft Xbox
2004 - Nintendo Wii
2005 - Microsoft Xbox360
2006 - Sony Playstation3

A500 Vampire2/minimegachip/lazarus/indyECS
A600 Vampire2/604n/subway/IndyECS