Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: AmigaKit USB Mouse Adapter - adapter working but no right click in Workbench  (Read 4005 times)

Description:

Offline AndyFCTopic starter

Happy Christmas everyone!

I got the new AmigaKit USB mouse adapter for christmas, this is great because my original mouse has some broken wiring causing it to fail occasionally. Hower I've got an issue - the right mouse button isn't working in Workbench.

- I can get to Early Startup by holding down both mouse buttons.
- I have ClassicWB which has menus available if you hold down the right button during boot and these are all available.

The above tests prove that the adapter is working for both left and right clicks.

When I get into Workbench the right button no longer does anything. This is the same if I load ClassicWB (I have the ADVSP version), boot from a WB 3 floppy disk or use the ClassicWB safe boot option. I also have JoyPortTest and this doesn't register the right mouse click either even if I boot with no startup and access the app manually through CLI.

I've tried 3 mice (wireless, standard two-button USB with scroll and a gaming mouse) and the behaviour is exactly the same each time.

Everything works as expected if I go back to my Amiga Mouse so the CIAs etc seem fine.

Any suggestions please? This is really frustrating as it's a great little adapter and it almost feels like AmigaKit created it in response to my question on Amiga.org earlier in the year about mouse adapters. Thank you.
A1200 in DIY Tower. 3.2 ROMs (softkicking 3.2.2), OS 3.2.2 with ClassicWB, CF card, CD RW and IDE to SD adapter running off the internal IDE port (using the A4000 4-port IDE adapter from Amigakit), Pistorm 32 lite with Pi4/2GB/Emu68 or Blizzard 1230-IV, with 32MB 60ns RAM and 50MHz 68882 FPU. 3COM PCMCIA Network card running with Miami DX.
MorphOS on PowerMac G5 and ATI 9600 pro

I've been researching this and it looks like an issue with my motherboard which seems common with later boards causing issues with USB mouse adapters. I have a revision 2B board and I've meansured the voltage across pins 7 and 9; it's 2.98 volts (should be 5v), dropping to 0.37 with the right button pressed.

Edit - I just re-measured and got 4.78v. Either the first measurement was wrong or the voltage is inconsistent. Would re-capping fix this issue? The motherboard looks fine.

I have also found reference to an app called fixRMB buit can't find it anywhere. The original site has gone and isn't in Wayback Machine. Does anyone know where it can be found?
« Last Edit: December 26, 2020, 05:38:27 PM by AndyFC »
A1200 in DIY Tower. 3.2 ROMs (softkicking 3.2.2), OS 3.2.2 with ClassicWB, CF card, CD RW and IDE to SD adapter running off the internal IDE port (using the A4000 4-port IDE adapter from Amigakit), Pistorm 32 lite with Pi4/2GB/Emu68 or Blizzard 1230-IV, with 32MB 60ns RAM and 50MHz 68882 FPU. 3COM PCMCIA Network card running with Miami DX.

Done some more testing today. I stripped down the tower and took the motherboard out to remove the risk of any shorts against the case - same behaviour.

The most telling thing I've tried is with the app PortDiag; booting with my real Amiga mouse in Port 1 and the USB adapter in Port 2, I've discovered that the first time the USB right button is pressed it is detected as remaining pressed. This is the same with 4 USB mice all known working on Windows.

Trying the same with the USB mouse in Port 1 doesn't show any RMB click detected. Last thing I can think to check is on my mates' A1200 to try and show if it's the Amiga.

It's given me something to tinker with in some quiet time over the last few days.

Offline giZmo350

• Lifetime Member
  • Gulfport, Miss
    • Show only replies by giZmo350
After reading all your symptoms, it sounds like the AmigaKit USB mouse adapter simply doesn't work correctly!  :o
A500: 2MB Chip, 8MB Fast, IndiECS, MiniMegi, IDE4ZorroII on Z-500, KS1.3/KS3.1, WB3.1&BWB

A2000HD: 2MB Chip, 128MB Fast, P5:Blizz 2060@50MHz, PCD-50B/4GBCF, XSurf100, RapidRoad, IndiECS, Matze RTG, MiniMegi, CD-RW, SunRize AD516, WB3.9

A1200: 2MB Chip, 64MB Fast, 4GBCF, GVP Typhoon 030 @40MHz w/FPU, Subway USB, EasyNet Ethernet, Indi AGA MKI, FastATA MK-IV, Internal Slim CD/DVD-RW, WB3.5

Surfing The Web With AMIGA Is Fun Again!

Offline 3246251196

• Show only replies by 3246251196
This has been reported a few times over the years. It is a known issue and I have experienced myself. If you search for B usb mouse adapter right click you will see a few threads.

Offline Acill

Where are you located at? I have several of these adapters myself and all are working well. if your in the USA and need a recap and have the board looked over for anything we can do for a fix I am happy to do it when I get home in Feb.
Proud Retired Navy Chief!

A4000T - CSPPC - Mediator
Powerbook G4 15", 17"
Powermac G5 2GHZ
AmigaOne X5000
Need Amiga recap or other services in the US? Visit my website at http://www.acill.com and take a look or on facebook at http://facebook.com/acillclassics

Thanks all for the recent replies.

I have a Commodore rev 2B board from 1994 but it's the same behaviour on my mate's 1992 A1200 too (he doesn't know the board rev.). I've returned the adapter to Amigakit now.

@3246251196 I knew about other adapter issues but hoped the Amigakit one overcame them esp. with it being for HID USB mice, not just PS/2 mice. I'd done some checks based on what I found online including bridging the resistor to the mouse port and nothing made any difference. Chris at Amigakit suggested it's the mice tested (at least 6 across the two different machines) and/or the resistor issue.

@Acill I'm in the UK and have looked at a re-capping service but my board looks OK at the moment.

My current mouse is holding out for now (broken wire near the plug end causes up/down to fail occasionally) and I'm looking at other USB options.

Offline Acill

While your board may look okay I would still have it done. I cant even begin to tell you how many I have looked at and found some serious damage under the caps. When you notice it, it can be to late at that point. Retro Passion in the UK doesn't charge a lot and if a great person to have it done. Its all about getting the most life out of these machines now and preserving them.
Proud Retired Navy Chief!

A4000T - CSPPC - Mediator
Powerbook G4 15", 17"
Powermac G5 2GHZ
AmigaOne X5000
Need Amiga recap or other services in the US? Visit my website at http://www.acill.com and take a look or on facebook at http://facebook.com/acillclassics

Offline Pat the Cat

The question is whether the fault is with Paula reading the right mouse button or with the adaptor. Paula reads it as an analogue value rather than digital so a low voltage isn't good enough, has to be ground.

If it's reading as high all the time, then it's most likely the adapter. A fix for programming the ATMel controller to make them OK with A1200 rev 2 was put up last July. But that wouldn't help with a "always high" reading.

https://github.com/simoninns/SmallyMouse2/issues/6

The gitowner didn't pay much attwntion notice the issue.

Yes, get it recapped. There's a link to a pic included to check for one problematic cap in this case. Also, see if the hack "fixrightmb" is being executed in your Workbench startup, perversely that can make it NOT work on Workbench, (Unlikely though).
"To recurse is human. To iterate, divine."

A1200, Vanilla, Surf Squirrel, SD Card, KS 3.0/3.z, PCMCIA dev
A500, Vanilla, A570, Rev 5, KS 1.2/1.3 Testbench system
Rasp Pi, UAE4ARM, 3D laser scanner, experimental, hoping for AmigaOS4Arm, based on Watterott Fabscan Pi

@Pat the Cat thanks for your reply. Although I've sent the adapter back and am exploring other options but I want to reply so the thread isn't left hanging.

I can't find the FixRMB software - I had found ref to it online and wanted to try it but couldn't find a source. I asked here but with no success.

The problem ocurred with an original Workbench 3.0 disk and 3.1 disk as well as booting with no startup and running loadWB manually, so no other apps running.

Offline QuikSanz

You may want to look at one of these, I need one too.

" http://amigakit.amiga.store/product_info.php?products_id=1228 "
Add a PS2 to USB adapter and done.

You need to scroll down to see the Micromys mouse adapter.

Apparently this item does not have its own page
« Last Edit: January 13, 2021, 11:35:53 PM by QuikSanz »

Thanks QuikSanz

Is this adapater adpaters (or any PS/2) adapter free from the RMB issue? The only info I can see online about the problem relates to USB>Amiga adapters. I've got PS/2 mice in my boxes of old computer kit.

Offline QuikSanz

Don't have one yet but my miggies are big box and I don't think they have this issue.