Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Hi! Olá!  (Read 3499 times)

Description:

Offline UlverTopic starter

• Show only replies by Ulver
Hi! Olá!
« on: March 15, 2004, 05:45:21 PM »
Hi,

My name is Paulo, I'm 28 and I'm Portuguese.

I was offered an Amiga500 14 years ago, and I loved it... then along came the Pc and the Amiga was tossed into a drawer. Recently I bought an Amiga4000/030 at eBay, but I have no idea how to operate it, since the manuals are in German... :madashell:

I saw there are new Amigas?? on the market using Macintosh G4 processors; do this computers run the older Amiga software?

What are the PPc processors for the old Amigas, do they allow running Pc based programs?

Can anyone help me setting up my Amiga4000? :-?

Sorry for my inquiry...  

Offline Cass

• Show only replies by Cass
Re: Hi! Ol?!
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2004, 06:03:19 PM »

My name is Paulo, I'm 28 and I'm Portuguese.

Welcome Paulo :pint: :-D

I saw there are new Amigas?? on the market using Macintosh G4 processors; do this computers run the older Amiga software?

Only the system friendly apps & games (newer s/w: not the old floppy NonDOS-bootblock games, and the h/w banging direct calls s/w)
2 options for PPC there: AmigaOne & Pegasos.

What are the PPc processors for the old Amigas, do they allow running Pc based programs?

The old PPC-based Amigas have the G2 PPCs : 603e for A1200 and 604e for the A3000/4000. They do not allow x86 code (PC), but you may find some old PPC-Mac emulator (i.e. iFusion), that emulates a PPC-Mac. It's like an old PPC-Mac but you have the possibility to run s/w you don't have on the amiga side! I realy prefer the PPC-WB ;-).

Can anyone help me setting up my Amiga4000?

Sure, all of us here! Start with the questions :-D
________
Vaporizer benefits
« Last Edit: March 18, 2011, 10:14:35 PM by Cass »
"If we don't got it, you don't want it!"

Offline redrumloa

• Original Omega User
    • Show only replies by redrumloa
Re: Hi! Olá!
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2004, 06:27:37 PM »
@Ulver

Hi and welcome to Amiga.org!!

Someone has to state the obvious and that someone is me!

Offline angrybrit

• Show only replies by angrybrit
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2004, 06:33:33 PM »
Welcome to Amiga.org! :-)

Offline Crumb

• Show only replies by Crumb
    • http://cuaz.sourceforge.net
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2004, 06:40:39 PM »
Welcome to Amiga.org!

Have you ever used WinUAE? You can use real Amiga Hard disks, so it may be a good idea to search adfs with the OS and install the OS from the Emu in the hard disk, and later connect it to the real Amiga.
The only spanish amiga news web page/club: Club de Usuarios de Amiga de Zaragoza (CUAZ)

Offline Speelgoedmannetje

• Show only replies by Speelgoedmannetje
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2004, 06:48:13 PM »
!Hola!
¿Como estas ustedes?

Soy este Speelgoedmannetje

bienvenida a Aorg

(or was that Spanish?)
And the canary said: \'chirp\'

Offline Virge

• Show only replies by Virge
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2004, 07:52:51 PM »
olá paulo! :)

tambem sou portugues se calhar a melhor ajuda k podes ter é dirigir te ao canal #amigapt no irc portugues nos estamos lá para te ajudar.posso ajudar te pois tb tenho um amiga 4000 e inclusivé temos alguem em portugal k vende material para amiga contacta me o meu nick é Virge. thanks
-Amiga 1200 / BlizzardPPC 060 50mhz - Powerpc 233mhz / Mediator TX / Soundblaster 128 / Ethernet / Voodoo Banshee 16mb / 256mb Ram / FastAta / 80gb ide 3.5\\" / Dvdrw Asus / Os3.9/Os4.0
-Amiga 1200 / 10gb ide 2.5\\" / Workbench 3.1
-Amiga 600HD / 2mb ...

Offline Lando

• Show only replies by Lando
    • https://bartechtv.com
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2004, 09:15:16 PM »
Oiiii Paulo, tudo bem?
Eu espero que voce vai ser feliz aqui no Amiga.org - todos os povos aqui sao muito amigaveis  :-)

Offline UlverTopic starter

• Show only replies by Ulver
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2004, 10:08:11 PM »
Hi

Thank you all for your warmth welcome. :-D

Here are the specs for my A4000/030

- primary hd: Seagate 130.6 Mb (IDE??);
- secondary hd: IBM 1080 Mb, on a GOLEM FastSCSI-II/IDE Controller;
- graphic card: Cybervision 64;
- RAM: 20 Mb;
- Sony CD drive;

What I would like to know is:  :-?

- can I use any IDE hd (PC compatible) to replace the original? what is that strange thing it is attached to? (it seems like another hd);
- can I use an HP SCSI Cdrw drive? will I be able to burn cd's?
- I would like to format the disks and install everything again, will I need to take all the expansion cards, or the installation is plug n´play similar?
- I recently bid at eBay for a PPcCyberstorm, it was 200/50 Mhz, but the seller said it was running at 230/50 Mhz, is it that easy to overclock this boards?
- which one is better the Amiga Warp Engine 4040 (68040 @ 40Mhz)Accelerator w/SCSI-2 or the PPc?

My Amiga is a desktop, can I change everything to a tower configuration?

Thanks, and forgive my ignorance :getmad:

Offline Cyberus

• Show only replies by Cyberus
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2004, 10:25:03 PM »

Ulver wrote:

What I would like to know is:  :-?

- can I use any IDE hd (PC compatible) to replace the original? what is that strange thing it is attached to? (it seems like another hd);

Yes, you can use a normal 3.5" IDE drive

- can I use an HP SCSI Cdrw drive? will I be able to burn cd's?

If you have a SCSI controller, yes. However 'MakeCD' - Amiga CD writing software - is quite expensive.

- I would like to format the disks and install everything again, will I need to take all the expansion cards, or the installation is plug n´play similar?

If you know which files you need for the hardware, you could save them and then put them back onto the HD when you have formatted it. Perhaps put the new IDE drive as the main drive, and then you can use the 103MB drive as a secondary drive to copy the files to the new HD.
In some ways it would be 'educational' to install the hardware card by card.
Do you have the disks for the Cybervision and the Golem?

- I recently bid at eBay for a PPcCyberstorm, it was 200/50 Mhz, but the seller said it was running at 230/50 Mhz, is it that easy to overclock this boards?

I believe they were overclosked by the manufacturer. It theory it shouldn't be hard to do yourself, but its an expensive card to destroy by mistake!

- which one is better the Amiga Warp Engine 4040 (68040 @ 40Mhz)Accelerator w/SCSI-2 or the PPc?

Better? Well the PPC - it is (usually) an 060 and a PPC processor, and includeds an Ultra-Wide SCSI controller. However if the Warp Engine is a good price....

My Amiga is a desktop, can I change everything to a tower configuration?

Yes, many people have done this - I have considered it myself, but quite like the 'original feel' of the A4000 case.

Thanks, and forgive my ignorance :getmad:

Great hardware resources:
amiga.resource.cx
amiga-hardware.com

[Info about Warp Engine, Cyberstorm PPC, etc]
I like Amigas

Offline Quixote

• Show only replies by Quixote
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2004, 06:03:53 AM »
:pint: Welcome to Amiga.org, Ulver!

As Cyberus suggested, you may wish to back up all of the files that your hardware needs before formatting anything.

There is also a web site that may be of use to you.  It contains legal archives of install software for obsolete Amiga hardware.  The site is here.

;-) The Amiga OS 3.1 as standard uses 32 bit addressing and so will be limited to hard drives of four binary Gigabytes, or 4.3 decimal gigabytes.  Remembering that up front will save many headaches.  To go beyond that will require OS 3.9, which I use, or an add-in module from Aminet.  My signature links to them.