Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Bastards!!!  (Read 15145 times)

Description:

Offline rare_j

• Show only replies by rare_j
Re: Bastards!!!
« Reply #119 from previous page: April 07, 2010, 10:32:14 PM »
Set up your own DNS? Full instructions are given and it is as easy as falling off a log.

Offline som99

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by som99
    • http://www.som99.se
« Reply #120 on: April 07, 2010, 11:14:44 PM »
Quote from: rare_j;551955
Set up your own DNS? Full instructions are given and it is as easy as falling off a log.

But what good will that do when games are released for higher FW versions? Also a bigger updatate to PSN and FW will eliminate this method.

Offline Trev

• Zero
    • Show only replies by Trev
« Reply #121 on: April 07, 2010, 11:40:49 PM »
I don't buy games that require network access (I don't play multiplayer games, obviously), so I'm good to go as long as Sony doesn't force an update. If that happens, I'll just disconnect the PS3 from the network (or prevent it from talking to Sony).

Offline som99

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #122 on: April 08, 2010, 01:03:00 AM »
Quote from: Trev;551973
I don't buy games that require network access (I don't play multiplayer games, obviously), so I'm good to go as long as Sony doesn't force an update. If that happens, I'll just disconnect the PS3 from the network (or prevent it from talking to Sony).

Sorry but you do not get it :( It's the same as with the PSP, newer games that will come will require the latest firmware post the current one.

So wether you like it or not you have to get this stupid FW sooner or later :(

Offline Trev

• Zero
« Reply #123 on: April 08, 2010, 01:36:30 AM »
No, I have a choice. I can either buy the game for a different platform, or I can not buy the game at all. I'll then write a short, friendly letter to Sony explaining why I didn't buy the game.

Offline som99

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #124 on: April 08, 2010, 01:54:36 AM »
Quote from: Trev;551994
No, I have a choice. I can either buy the game for a different platform, or I can not buy the game at all. I'll then write a short, friendly letter to Sony explaining why I didn't buy the game.

There is the problem :( We who do not want the FW update will be forced to buy the game/s for a diffrerent platform or we can just ignore the game, and that's not right at all :(

Also they can never force us to preform a FW update since we have to accept the  license agreement.

But still I do not like this a tiny bit, because I do not wan't to buy another console just for a game and I do not want to miss PS3 exclusive titles, so I hope there will be a way around this.

Offline Trev

• Zero
« Reply #125 on: April 08, 2010, 02:02:39 AM »
I agree with you, but the best way to deal with Sony or anyone else in cases like this is to not buy their products and let them know exactly why you didn't.

Offline Methuselas

• Show only replies by Methuselas
« Reply #126 on: April 08, 2010, 03:48:08 AM »
"No, you didn't. You didn't actually cast the spell, so now there's ogres, alright"? :P
\'Using no way as way. Having no limitation as limitation.\' - Bruce Lee

\'No, sorry. I don\'t get my tits out. They\'re not actually real, you know? Just two halves of a grapefruit...\' - Miki Berenyi

\'Evil will always triumph because good is dumb.\' - Dark Helmet :roflmao:

\'And for future reference, it might be polite to ask someone if you can  quote them in your signature, rather than just citing them to make a  sales pitch.\' - Karlos. :rtf

Offline CSixx

• Show only replies by CSixx
« Reply #127 on: April 08, 2010, 04:32:37 PM »

Offline som99

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #128 on: April 08, 2010, 05:02:27 PM »
Quote from: CSixx;552148
You can rest easy now: Geohot on the case...
http://games.slashdot.org/story/10/04/08/0439202/Geohot-Brings-Other-OS-Support-To-PS3-With-Custom-Firmware?art_pos=6

I know he is but the way Sony is handeling this impiles on how they will shit on us customers in the future with their way to solve problems.

They could just improve the FW to patch up the other OS functionallity to fix this but they took the easy way out and now with this who knows what meassures they will take in the future?

So we just have to use custom FWs in the furure and I did now want to go that road, but what choise do I have now when I use my PS3 alot for linux and cell programming?

Edit: well other then custom FWs I have to abandon the PS3 and go back to ARM architecture.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2010, 05:04:05 PM by som99 »

Offline scuzzb494

« Reply #129 on: April 08, 2010, 06:20:33 PM »
Quote from: som99;552155

Edit: well other then custom FWs I have to abandon the PS3 and go back to ARM architecture.

I think that would be best , don't you.

I doubt that SONY really care about the odd one or two people using their console that want to use LINUX. As said before if you want to use LINUX don't patch and if you love the gaming either patch or just get a slim. There is no big deal here. SONY are no longer supporting The OtherOS function... I support them 100% if it means development of the PS3 as a ' games console '. Linux hackers are just proving what the issues were all about anyway... so whats the big deal.

And for those that will now refuse to buy SONY well I guess that is your loss. Again I doubt SONY will lose any sleep over it.

And as to crapping on costomers... well if the majority felt this way then SONY would be in trouble. But as I said 99% of users of the out of date kit don't use LINUX and 100% of the new SLIM users can't, and yet sales for the SLIM have accelerated away. Buyers voted with their approval of the SLIM that they were not bothered about the OtherOS. The PS4 won't support it so we move one.

scuzz

Offline gazgod

• Show only replies by gazgod
    • http://www.lincsamiga.org.uk
« Reply #130 on: April 08, 2010, 06:36:41 PM »
Quote from: scuzzb494;552169
I think that would be best , don't you.

And as to crapping on costomers... well if the majority felt this way then SONY would be in trouble. But as I said 99% of users of the out of date kit don't use LINUX and 100% of the new SLIM users can't, and yet sales for the SLIM have accelerated away. Buyers voted with their approval of the SLIM that they were not bothered about the OtherOS. The PS4 won't support it so we move one.

scuzz

While its a few Linux hackers unfortunately your right, but what if Sony dropped the bluray movie player for security reasons, how would you feel then, when people tell you but its a games console?

Its the thin end of the wedge.

Gaz

Offline Amiga_Nut

• Show only replies by Amiga_Nut
« Reply #131 on: April 08, 2010, 08:19:51 PM »
People were buying PS3s just to run Linux to do massive number crunching tasks, OK maybe only in scientific communities but still, and given that unlike the 360 from Microshits the PS3 is built with quality components such activities were causing a massive loss for Sony. Also half the BluRay rips on Piratebay are probably from a PS3 with Linux (it's piss easy to copy the BD files from PS3 Linux) but they won't publicly admit that.

If you don't like it then sell your PS3 and get a 360 or Wii....trouble is then you have an inferior/more limited machine....with just as much of a locked out system made by peope with disgusting profits from monopolies selling shit products to billions of morons (Gameboy/Windows) ;)

Let's face it for Sony to make a profit on PS3 sales (not a fortune) they need to sell to people who buy lots of games....this is not your average Linux user on PS3.

Offline Karlos

• Sockologist
  • Global Moderator
    • Show only replies by Karlos
« Reply #132 on: April 08, 2010, 08:30:12 PM »
I wouldn't be surprised if OpenCL running on cheap PC hardware/GPU spells the end to the PS3 as a HPC platform, at least.
int p; // A

Offline Amiga_Nut

• Show only replies by Amiga_Nut
« Reply #133 on: April 09, 2010, 12:34:24 AM »
PS3 Linux is quite restricted and not that amazing to be honest....once the novelty wears off you will go and use a proper computer costing a couple of hundred smackers soon enough I bet.

Offline Trev

• Zero
« Reply #134 on: April 09, 2010, 01:01:24 AM »
It's piss easy to rip a Blu-Ray from any system. Apart from saving face among their fellow studios, that's hardly a valid reason from removing the feature.

Some good could come out of this, though, if it leads to more secure hypervisor implementations.