Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: My first impressions of the Pegasos II (review) - UPDATE!  (Read 10544 times)

Description:

Offline takemehomegrandmaTopic starter

• Show only replies by takemehomegrandma
Re: My first impressions of the Pegasos II (review)
« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2004, 03:34:14 PM »

ksk wrote:
It seems that peg+MOS is still only for advanced users.

This initial release, yes. Not everyone is prepared to deal with these kind of problems the first thing after buying a brand new product. But this will change shortly, I am confident about that.

Also, not all general users are prepared to sit down and learn the AmigaOS/MorphOS way of doing things. I tried to discuss this in this thread on ANN. So perhaps the AmigaOS/MorphOS is more suited for the advanced (desktop) users, looking for alternatives, at least in their current incarnations ...
MorphOS is Amiga done right! :)

Offline lempkee

• Show only replies by lempkee
    • http://www.amigaguru.com
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2004, 03:35:32 PM »
sounds like 1 guy got the stuff as it should be atleast , shame not everyone is as lucky as this guy...

Whats up with all the hate!

« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2004, 03:56:36 PM »

Piru wrote:
@ksk
And it's a disappointment to hear that the G4 of Peg2 does not have 512k L2!!!! I though it was announced last year that it will have 512k.

7447 has 512KB L2 cache, just like 7457.

That's what I thought too! I got the numbers from the "about" requester in MorphOS.

Perhaps there is some bug in the "probe" that either reports wrong cache size of the 7447 CPU, or simply the wrong CPU (the 7445 has 256KB, the text on the CPU module PCB says 744x, so perhaps it's a 7445)?

Offline amigamad

• Show only replies by amigamad
« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2004, 03:59:20 PM »
Nice review pegasos 2 board looks good. :-)
I once had an amigaone xe but sold it .

http://www.tamiyaclub.com

Offline Paul_Gadd

• Show only replies by Paul_Gadd
    • http://elunatic.host.sk/start.html
« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2004, 04:01:44 PM »
@StevenJGore

FFS is too old and PFS is not free so download SFS which is FREE.

Offline Argo

• Show only replies by Argo
« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2004, 04:07:22 PM »
eally goes to show how capable the Pegasos can   actually be for the "average" PC user...

Funny, from his review it wouldn't pass my "Parents" test. Thus not ready for prime time. Of course, Windows 98 didn't pass either and forget Linux. XP pass with a satifactory grade. It's a hard test.

Offline bloodline

• Master Sock Abuser
    • Show only replies by bloodline
    • http://www.troubled-mind.com
« Reply #20 on: January 07, 2004, 04:09:53 PM »

Argo wrote:
eally goes to show how capable the Pegasos can   actually be for the "average" PC user...

Funny, from his review it wouldn't pass my "Parents" test. Thus not ready for prime time. Of course, Windows 98 didn't pass either and forget Linux. XP pass with a satifactory grade. It's a hard test.

Out of interest, have you tried then with AROS?

« Reply #21 on: January 07, 2004, 04:10:12 PM »

NicoPPC wrote:
Nice and objectif review, thx :-)

About, the Peg II G3, how is it running? do you feel it's faster than a Peg I ?

I have no idea about the Peg II G3, I have a G4. I read somewhere that someone tried to use a Peg I G3 in their Peg II, but it didn't work. Someone else speculated that it might be because of the different FSB speeds and CPU multipliers used on the two systems/CPU cards (which would cause the G3 to run at insane overclocking speeds provided that the FSB is set by the motherboard and the multiplier is set on the CPU card, or something like that). This is only speculations, but I would advice anyone curious NOT to try the Peg1 G3 card in their Peg2, it has been reported that it doesn't work anyway.

« Reply #22 on: January 07, 2004, 04:21:38 PM »

JoannaK wrote:
Takemehomegrandma:

Thanks for review.. I have been having Pegasos bit over a week and I agree with you..

For realtime.clock..  It's been fixed for next release.. For now, just add     setclock load  to your s:user-startup,

Good to hear!! I will try the setclock in the meantime! :-)

I have not seen any booting problems on my machine, so they may have some realtion on those problems on recgognization of your drives ...Dunno, this one needs more testing.

This is what I suspect too, even if the drives are being reported to be present in OF. Once it boots, there is no problems whatsoever, but it's not allways that the boot process is that smooth ...

For other comments.. System stability is definitely real high.. I have four day uptime, while using programs like Simplemail, Amirc, Voyager (!), Apdf etc.. even played a bit K&M and tried to learn how to use ImageFX-lite  (thanks Cecilia).

:-o :-D

Things are better, that's for sure! But regardless the hardware, IMHO MorphOS itself has still some way to go here. It will be interesting to see drivers and core OS components move out from the A-box and into their own quark handled memory protected spaces. Perhaps that process has started with MorphOS 1.5 already?

For speed inscrease. well.. I've not much use to it either at this point.. But as this G4 cpu came bundled with Pegasos2 upgrade I may well use it.. And even though I too like silent machine, most of the time I can't hear this Cpu.cooler anyhow cause I'm having my Work-PC at this same room.. and compared to it, allmost anything is silent   :-D

Exactly the same situation as here then! :-) However, when not working I like to switch the PC off and enjoy the cool, fast, and silent Pegasos experience. :-D

« Reply #23 on: January 07, 2004, 04:22:31 PM »

Karlos wrote:
Having spent the last two weeks in a cave (well, not really, but no internet access)...

The Peg II is available?

You bet! :-D

« Reply #24 on: January 07, 2004, 04:25:36 PM »

Kronos wrote:

takemehomegrandma wrote:

Interesting thoughts. But what if you add/remove some hardware? If the system does not "probe" it, it won't work!

Wow !!! So your one of the courages expert that exchanges cards/drives
while the system is still powered on ?

[color=FF0033]RESPECT !![/color][/b][/u]

Well, have you never hot-swapped BIOS chips? :-D
Nah, seriously, I read that again, and I think I got the point the second time!

« Reply #25 on: January 07, 2004, 04:27:54 PM »

bloodline wrote:

Argo wrote:

Out of interest, how is AROS for Pegasos 1 going? You guys might need a Pegasos 2 too, later on ...

Offline bloodline

• Master Sock Abuser
    • Show only replies by bloodline
    • http://www.troubled-mind.com
« Reply #26 on: January 07, 2004, 04:32:13 PM »

takemehomegrandma wrote:

bloodline wrote:

Argo wrote:

Out of interest, how is AROS for Pegasos 1 going? You guys might need a Pegasos 2 too, later on ...

I think it's currently wating for a timer so that it can task switch :-)

Offline cdfr

• Show only replies by cdfr
« Reply #27 on: January 07, 2004, 06:05:21 PM »
It seems that peg+MOS is still only for advanced users.

The initial setup is a bit tricky for non advanced users but non advanced users can get a full configured systems from Pegasos 2 resellers.

Offline Hammer

• Show only replies by Hammer
« Reply #28 on: January 07, 2004, 11:25:46 PM »
"A few seconds later it was finished! I have flashed many bios’s on x86 motherboards, and the process can be a bit more complicated than this. You may have to download several files (at least a flash program and the ROM image), you may have to produce a special clean DOS boot disk with no mem handlers, you may have to switch off the CPU caches in BIOS etc.

On Gigabyte’s Dual BIOS X86 motherboards; the BIOS flash software is built-in into the Dual BIOS, thus a clean boot disk is no longer required with this line of X86 motherboards.

Amiga 1200 PiStorm32-Emu68-RPI 4B 4GB.
Ryzen 9 7900X, DDR5-6000 64 GB, RTX 4080 16 GB PC.

Offline GGS

• Show only replies by GGS
    • http://www.ggsdata.se
« Reply #29 from previous page: January 08, 2004, 12:31:18 AM »
Hi takemehomegrandma

#

I believe I read posts from someone other that does not have these problems too. Perhaps it has to do with the models of IDE devices being used or surch? Mine is a seagate barracuda hard drive and a lite-on DVD player.

-----

Dont take the below as exactly info, but just what I feel myself about it.

Usually we supply machines with Hitachi harddrives, but you wanted a Seagate, because its more quiet, and it is. And some people like Seagate better because of this, you are not the only one :-).

But I feel also that Seagate-drives more often fails by coldboot (not showing up), then Hitachi, and needs a reset before showing up. This might also change when connected together with other different devices. I have no good solution on it, just that it might vary depending on configuration. So it might change if changing some else device you also have connected.

Nice review by the way.

Have a good time !

Mvh
Gunne