Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Wireless card installed with Prism2 driver now what?  (Read 11585 times)

Description:

Offline carvedeyeTopic starter

• Show only replies by carvedeye
Re: Wireless card installed with Prism2 driver now what?
« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2011, 09:31:38 PM »
Quote from: mfilos;622224
You also need to have SetPrism2Defaults in C: folder.
Then you need to alter User-Startup putting the following declaration:
Code: [Select]
C:SetPrism2Defaults SSID <Your WiFi Network's SSID> KEY <Your WEP Key>

Ofc you need to have an TCP/IP stack installed like MiamiDX, AmiTCP or Genesis to be able to connect to anything. :)

I have genesis installed but where in the user-startup do enter the command?
A1200T: M1230XA 50Mhz 68030 w/64mb,DVDRom, 80gb hdd, Realtek LAN Card, Mediator LT4 + Radeon 9250 128mb(used for fast ram), Spider USB Card, Voodoo 3 3000 OS 3.9 +bb 1-3

Offline psxphill

« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2011, 09:50:07 PM »
Quote from: kolla;622273
Why bother? :hammer:

Hiding ssid, filtering mac & turning off your router when you're not using it are basically all you can try to do when you're using wep. People can still hack it, but they have to be really bothered.

« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2011, 10:54:11 PM »
Right heres what i havwe done so far i have added both cardreset and cardpatch to the c: directory and i also added it to the starup sequence i type the commands into the shell like this, if i have done this wrong please correct me.

C:SetPrism2Defaults SSID KEY <10 hex key>
C:CardPatch
C:CardReset

I then tryed running genesis again but there is no difference.
A1200T: M1230XA 50Mhz 68030 w/64mb,DVDRom, 80gb hdd, Realtek LAN Card, Mediator LT4 + Radeon 9250 128mb(used for fast ram), Spider USB Card, Voodoo 3 3000 OS 3.9 +bb 1-3

« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2011, 12:18:37 PM »
well i decided to start a fresh install of amigaos 3.9 so i can start from scratch i will let you all know how i get on :)

Offline pVC

« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2011, 02:52:54 PM »
Quote from: carvedeye;622623
Right heres what i havwe done so far i have added both cardreset and cardpatch to the c: directory and i also added it to the starup sequence i type the commands into the shell like this, if i have done this wrong please correct me.

C:SetPrism2Defaults SSID KEY <10 hex key>
C:CardReset

I then tryed running genesis again but there is no difference.

Put CardPatch and CardReset before SetPrism2Defaults.

I myself have used it this way:

first lines in S:startup-sequence file are:
C:cardpatch
C:cardreset force

first line in S:user-startup file is:
SetPrism2Defaults SSID xxxxx KEY xxxx-xxxx-xx

I guess they all could be in user-startup too, but use fixes first.

Check also which encryption your network card supports. Some cards might support 128bit WEP, some only 64bit WEP and some no ecryption at all. For example Orinoco cards are common and its Gold version supports 128-bit WEP while Silver version supports 64-bit WEP.

Do the leds on the card flash around the time when CardPatch/Reset are executed?

well i decided to start a fresh install of amigaos 3.9 so i can start from scratch i will let you all know how i get on

Uhh.. this situation wouldn't have needed that :) You should have rather learnt some basics about AmigaOS. AmigaOS structure is so clean that you are never advised to reinstall the system. I for example have base installation from 1993 in my main A1200 even though I've heavily upgraded and updated it both hardware and software wise :) It's much more trouble to reinstall everything to fresh system than find the problem and fix only that.
Daily MorphOS user and Amiga active.

« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2011, 03:26:37 PM »
Quote from: pVC;622834
Put CardPatch and CardReset before SetPrism2Defaults.

I myself have used it this way:

first lines in S:startup-sequence file are:

first line in S:user-startup file is:
SetPrism2Defaults SSID xxxxx KEY xxxx-xxxx-xx

I guess they all could be in user-startup too, but use fixes first.

Check also which encryption your network card supports. Some cards might support 128bit WEP, some only 64bit WEP and some no ecryption at all. For example Orinoco cards are common and its Gold version supports 128-bit WEP while Silver version supports 64-bit WEP.

Do the leds on the card flash around the time when CardPatch/Reset are executed?

Uhh.. this situation wouldn't have needed that :) You should have rather learnt some basics about AmigaOS. AmigaOS structure is so clean that you are never advised to reinstall the system. I for example have base installation from 1993 in my main A1200 even though I've heavily upgraded and updated it both hardware and software wise :) It's much more trouble to reinstall everything to fresh system than find the problem and fix only that.

Could you possibly give me a step by step as what i need to do, do i run the commands through shell or do i edit the startup files directly sorry but im hopeless with workbench.
where exactly do i enter these commands in the startup lists?

Offline pVC

« Reply #20 on: March 18, 2011, 04:59:24 PM »
Quote from: carvedeye;622842
Could you possibly give me a step by step as what i need to do, do i run the commands through shell or do i edit the startup files directly sorry but im hopeless with workbench.
where exactly do i enter these commands in the startup lists?

You either run those commands in shell OR add them to startup scripts to be run automatically on each reboot. If you run them on shell, you have to do it after every reboot, which isn't very practical.

To run them on startup scripts you have to edit corresponding startup script with a text editor and add those lines manually.

Startup scripts reside in SYS:S/ directory, but it can be accessed more shortly with S: assign.

If you don't have better text editor installed, you can edit them with ED (bit clumsy default editor).

Open shell (from WB or press ramiga-e and type "cli"). Type "ed s:user-startup" to open editor with user-startup script file. Simple try would be to add all those earlier mentioned lines at the beginning of the file before other commands in that file. Each entry for its own line.

When it looks like this for example:
C:SetPrism2Defaults SSID xxxxx KEY xxxx-xxxx-xx
+other earlier lines on the file

Press "ESC" and "x" and "Enter" to save the file.

Reboot to take them in use.

I'm not 100% sure if those cardpatch/reset lines work on user-startup and that close to the SetPrism2Defaults etc or should they be executed in very early stage as I've done for some reason I can't remember anymore, so if it looks like it, you could add them to S:startup-sequence instead with similar way by editing the files.
Daily MorphOS user and Amiga active.

« Reply #21 on: March 18, 2011, 07:26:36 PM »
i started up the shell and i typed ed S:user-startup then hit enter and editpad started so i added

C:SetPrism2Defaults SSID XXXXX KEY XXXXXXXXXX

But this is what my user-startup loks like

;BEGIN ViNCEd
;Remove the;default console handler CON:
;then repeated in another language?

SetVNC Quiet Mount Override as CON:

;Remove the;gadgets with new function fromViNCEd that can be set with prefs tool ViNCEd.
;Then repeated again in the other language.

;StringSnip >NIL:INSTALL

;Remove the;assigns in pattern matching commands.
;Againrepeated in th eother language.

;TrueMultiAssigns
;ENDViNCEd
C:SetPrism2Defaults SSID XXXXX KEY XXXXXXXXXX
;BEGIN Genesis
assign AmiTCP: "Workbench:Internet/Genesis"
;END Genesis

Ithen ran the Genesis wizard and still no joy at connecting still getting the "Unable to open device DEVS:Networks/prism2.device unit 0"

where have i gone wrong?

Offline TheGoose

• Show only replies by TheGoose
    • http://www.amiga.org/forums/blog.php?u=827
« Reply #22 on: March 18, 2011, 07:42:21 PM »
Hmm, I had a lot of trouble with this too, but got it working. What sort of PCMCIA card did you get? Or where did you get it?

You are doing things right, the error is telling us possibly a couple things:

1. your network card just isn't working / compatible with the prism2.device.

2. there is something not right with your card slot on the computer.

I had one from AmigaKit, and it never worked for me. Then I tried again with a different card and things went great.

So far you have not even come to any issues with WiFi, cause your driver can't even talk to the network card...
« Last Edit: March 18, 2011, 08:24:27 PM by TheGoose »
G1200, A3000D, A1200 PPC AOS4.0C

I\'m on Google +

Offline mfilos

• Show only replies by mfilos
    • http://mfilos.blogspot.com/
« Reply #23 on: March 18, 2011, 07:54:17 PM »
I had same issues in the past but with a 3C589 interface. Couldn't get Genesis to open the port. Issue was CardReset/CardPatch.
Just add the following lines as first lines in the Startup-Sequence (or second if you have an ACA)

FailAt 11
C:CardReset TICKS 50

If you get Genesis to open the port then you can configure SetPrism2Defaults since it's not needed for configuring the interface. It's just for pairing with the WiFi access point.

If it doesn't open again, it's more probable some sort of an hardware error. Either PCMCIA card isn't inserted fully in the socket, either the PCMCIA might have some pins bend from the inside (btw have you tried any other PCMCIA expansion like an CF Reader? Did it work?).
Also are you sure the card works with the Amigas? Any pictures?
« Last Edit: March 18, 2011, 08:16:26 PM by mfilos »
Visit my Amiga blog here
- A600: Vampire V3, 128MB, A604n, 16GB CF, Indivision ECS, RapidRoad, MAS-Player + Custom Audio Mixer (internal), HxC SD + Slim floppy (internal)

« Reply #24 on: March 18, 2011, 08:08:38 PM »
the card i have is an Amiga Wireless Orinoco Network Card which i bought from a member here on the forum who goes by the user name theformula (do any of you know him? he seems like a nice guy) i just want to get this thing up and running.  :(

Offline TheGoose

« Reply #25 on: March 18, 2011, 08:13:16 PM »
Quote from: carvedeye;622913
the card i have is an Amiga Wireless Orinoco Network Card which i bought from a member here on the forum who goes by the user name theformula (do any of you know him? he seems like a nice guy) i just want to get this thing up and running.  :(

Well there are no "Amiga" WiFi cards, but your wireless Orinoco network card, should be a good one. It's what I've been using, specifically:

Orinoco Gold 802.11b Wireless PC Card

I had my success with Miami, not Genesis. Try the TICKS thing mfilos said then report back...

I\'m on Google +

Offline mfilos

• Show only replies by mfilos
    • http://mfilos.blogspot.com/
« Reply #26 on: March 18, 2011, 08:16:03 PM »
Yeah I also have an Orrinoco and really is a great card!
Put the lines I told you as first lines in S-S and report back :)
Visit my Amiga blog here
- A600: Vampire V3, 128MB, A604n, 16GB CF, Indivision ECS, RapidRoad, MAS-Player + Custom Audio Mixer (internal), HxC SD + Slim floppy (internal)

« Reply #27 on: March 18, 2011, 11:48:45 PM »
i have circled a key that i do not know the key stroke for, i am using a standard pc keyboard if someone could tell what key(s) to press i would be very grateful.

Offline TheGoose

« Reply #28 on: March 19, 2011, 12:03:28 AM »
Quote from: carvedeye;622961
i have circled a key that i do not know the key stroke for, i am using a standard pc keyboard if someone could tell what key(s) to press i would be very grateful.

Uh try Shift + back slash key - \

Then you get that, it called the "pipe" character.

I\'m on Google +

Offline amigadave

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by amigadave
    • http://www.EfficientByDesign.org
« Reply #29 from previous page: March 19, 2011, 05:20:06 AM »
I looked for this information in a couple of places and did not find anything yet, so I will add it to this thread, as it is related.

Has anyone tried a Prism2 compatible wireless card and Amiga 68k driver inside a G4 PowerMac in the Airport card slot while running MorphOS2.x to see if you could get a wireless connection for MorphOS2.x that way?
How are you helping the Amiga community? :)