Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: PPC Boards  (Read 10742 times)

Description:

Offline pteppic

• Show only replies by pteppic
Re: PPC Boards
« Reply #14 from previous page: December 09, 2002, 02:01:11 AM »

Morph OS will run on the Pegasos.

Morph OS will run on the TeronCx.

Hmmm...but MorphOS will not run on the
rebadged TeronCx A-1, because A-Inc
donglized the hardware, and OS4 has
been donglized to run only on the
donglized A-1. It seems obvious...

This last bit is wrong.   The dongle on the A1 is for OS4.0 (so it won't run on other nonlicensed hardware),  MorphOS, linux and any other OS can be ported to the A1 easily.
\\"But please remember this is only a work of fiction.  The truth, as always, will be far stranger.\\"

---Arthur C. Clarke

Offline Damion

« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2002, 03:46:03 AM »
Perhaps I stand corrected. I thought MorphOS wouldn't
run on the A-1 because the rom of the original Teron
has been modified, so MorphOS needs some changes in
order to run. Apparantly MorphOS runs fine on the
original Teron. I guess that by the same logic, OS4
could be ported to run on the Pegasos (maybe just
minor changes due to the different rom? I'm not a
programmer so I have no clue about these things).

Offline CodeSmith

• Show only replies by CodeSmith
« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2002, 05:08:45 AM »
It's possible that you might need to patch MorphOS so it will run on the AmigaOne/Teron.  Details are very sketchy, but there is a chance that the "April" Articia fix used by the Pegasos includes a hardware fix for a DMA problem in the VIA southbridge.  On the AmigaOne/Teron this fix is done in software (in Linux and AmigaOS).  So, if this is the case (let me stress that real info is thin on the ground) you'd need a patch to run Morphos on the AmigaOne (since the Pegasos has the patch built into the hardware).  I doubt the patch would be terribly huge though, and since the patch is part of open-source Linux all you need is a semi-competent programmer to port it.

Does anyone here know if this is correct?  the only source of info I have on this is this fragment of one of Alan's postings to the AmigaOne mailinglist (in it he's talking about the April chip/circuit board):

From the hints dropped it seems that they have just come across the fairly well known VIA IDE-DMA problem. This occurs rarely, but reproducably, and - as with all PC's using the same VIA southbridge core, it is properly handled in the IDE driver. It will be in OS4, and in the PPC Linux kernal.

Anyone here have any other info to add to this? I've looked around but found no hard info on what April actually does - just more or less educated guesses.

Offline tonyw

• Show only replies by tonyw
« Reply #17 on: December 09, 2002, 11:14:27 AM »
I forget now just where I read or heard it, but IIRC the "dongle" is just a series of PEEKs in AOS4, where it reads parts of the PPCBoot ROM to check that it is running on the right hardware. So AOS4 won't run without its PPCBoot ROM.

MorphOS probably won't run directly on an A1 (Alan said at WOASE that it can't boot on the different hardware), but no doubt someone, someday, will patch MOS to run on the A1 hardware/PPCBoot ROM.

I'm sure that both OSes will be patched to run on each other's hardware ev-en-tu-al-ly (in Manuel voice). You don't have to steal SW or break copyrights to do that.

tony

Offline asian1

• Show only replies by asian1
« Reply #18 on: December 10, 2002, 03:13:59 PM »
>Terrasoft PowerPC board.

I am looking for information on this board:
1. What is the speed of CPU?

2. Is it possible to upgrade the CPU to 1.2 GHz or IBM PowerPC 970?

3. Will the famous Articia chipset bug exist on this motherboard?
Is there any special bug workaround circuit on this motherboard?

4.  Is it possible to run AmigaOS 4 on this board using some sort of card / dongle?

The first generation of IBM PC DOS cann't run on the first compatibles, but MS create MS DOS that support PC clones. Is it possible that Hyperion will release a special version for Amiga clones in the future?

Thanks.

Offline Warface

• Show only replies by Warface
    • http://www.spacehawks.hu
« Reply #19 on: December 10, 2002, 03:24:49 PM »
Terrasoft at OSNews

It will answer many of your questions. AFAIK It will have a soldered 750MHz CPU. Mai states all systems going for sales are fixed. Unless Terrasoft licences AmigaOS4 it's not legally possible to run OS4 on Terrasoft boards. Future - who knows?  :-)