Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: First Amiga game you've played  (Read 5428 times)

Description:

Offline Hammer

• Show only replies by Hammer
Re: First Amiga game you've played
« Reply #29 on: November 12, 2006, 01:41:53 AM »
@benJamin
Crazy Cars 1 back in 1989 i.e. packaged with Amiga 500 (Rev6A)/AmigaOS 1.3.2.

My first Amiga magazine is Amiga Action with SuperCars2 demo.
Amiga 1200 PiStorm32-Emu68-RPI 4B 4GB.
Ryzen 9 7900X, DDR5-6000 64 GB, RTX 4080 16 GB PC.

Offline Aegis

• Show only replies by Aegis
    • http://www.survivorfilms.co.uk
« Reply #30 on: November 12, 2006, 02:46:41 AM »
Defender of the Crown on a mate's Amiga 1000 - what a game! The GFX totally blew me away and I knew I had to have one of those... :-D
Catapultem habeo. Nisi pecuniam amnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam.
I have a catapult. Give me all the money, or I will fling an enormous rock at your head.

Offline amigadave

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by amigadave
    • http://www.EfficientByDesign.org
« Reply #31 on: November 12, 2006, 04:43:20 AM »
@Hyperspeed,

Yes, the Screamer Net from NewTek shares the rendering load between the networked computers and all the frames are sent to the target directory.  The plan is to network them all together through ethernet cards, cables and a router switch, or hub (I need to learn more about setting up a LAN).  I have all the ethernet cards I need already to put at least 5 or 6 on the network.

I have only heard about this and not seen or put it into practice myself yet.

My installation of a 73.5gb and 36.7gb drives into one of my Toaster/Flyer systems went well today and they are formatted in HQ5 and ready for use.

(read my sig, it's really true)
How are you helping the Amiga community? :)

Offline mpiva

• Show only replies by mpiva
    • http://members.shaw.ca/michpiva
« Reply #32 on: November 12, 2006, 05:04:33 AM »
Defender of the Crown

Great game, got it with the A1000 in 1986.  Spent many hours playing it (I remember hating the jousting though, could never figure out how to win it).
-- Michael A. Piva --

"In engineering, there is no single truth, no one right answer; there\'s a canvas, and you paint it your way, only with chips or gates or subroutines rather than actual paint. That\'s the Amiga..."
-Dave Haynie

Offline tomazkid

• Show only replies by tomazkid
« Reply #33 on: November 12, 2006, 05:24:29 AM »
Ports of Call or Stunt Car Racer, don't remember which one, around 1989 as I recall.
Had a C128 as my own computer back then.

Got my first Amiga in 1991, favorite games then was Utopia (loved the music tracks) and Djingis Khan.  :-)

Offline LoadWB

• Show only replies by LoadWB
« Reply #34 on: November 12, 2006, 05:50:46 AM »
I first SAW "The Killing Game Show" on an Amiga 500.  Later I played "Shadow of the Beast" and on a friend's Amiga 500, and eventually purchased my own 500 just for SotB -- but since it wound up not being part of the software collection, I instead played Ballistix as my first Amiga game (LOVE that game, and would LOVE to purchase a new copy.)

Offline shillard

• Show only replies by shillard
    • http://www.shillard.com
« Reply #35 on: November 12, 2006, 06:44:05 AM »
F/A-18 Interceptor on my A500 in 1987 - about 5 minutes after booting it up for the first time.

Also got Fairy Tale Adventure and Defender of the Crown will it...
Ewige Blumenkraft!

Offline Giana

• Show only replies by Giana
    • http://www.decisionsystems-studio.fr
« Reply #36 on: November 12, 2006, 08:11:28 AM »
SHADOW OF THE BEAST I
Then I burried my Atari ST and became an Amiga Fan for life.

Ps : I didn't burried my ST, I still have it ... somewhere ...
Giana

Offline jlariv8957

• Show only replies by jlariv8957
« Reply #37 on: November 12, 2006, 08:16:07 AM »
It was Defender of the crown back in may or june 1987 on a A1000 with KS 1.0/1.1

The amiga was owned by the brother of one of my friend.
I had a C64 then and I was so impressed that i had just one idea in mind: having mine . It take one full year before i could buy it (A500 KS 1.2)

Offline BenT

• Show only replies by BenT
« Reply #38 on: November 12, 2006, 08:25:01 AM »
Marble Madness on an A1000 :-)

Offline jmbattle

• Show only replies by jmbattle
    • http://www.amigainabox.co.uk
« Reply #39 on: November 12, 2006, 08:42:25 AM »
Well, my father purchased the A500 Batman pack as a family Christmas present in 1988.  I recall being a little disappointed - 'What is this?  This isn't a Spectrum 128k?!' - I thought to myself at the time.

Unfortunately, the included modulator did not function, meaning my sister and I had to be content with typing our names as quickly as possible on a disconnected A500 over Christmas and Boxing day.  The day after, I believe, my family went into Norwich city centre to 'One Step Beyond' (an independent computer store that is still going strong today), replaced the faulty modulator and we eventually returned home.

I seem to recall 'The Very First English Version' disk being inserted early on, with pictures of different Amiga accessories, accompanied with the line 'Get the best!' - rather ironic given that one of the promoted products was the very same A520 modulator that was faulty!

Anyway, I am almost certain that the first real game we played together was 'Batman The Movie' - a rather poor movie tie-in, released by Ocean.  The Amiga was connected to the family's colour television in the living room, with the audio hooked up to my father's large Rotel amp and speakers.  Wow, the title music was just incredible for a seven year old lad - it even had sampled speech from the film ("Who are you?", "I'm Batman!").

After this, my father insisted on playing 'Interceptor' for a little while, again the music and graphics were incredible - I still remember the sound of the afterburners rumbling through my fathers stereo.

Later on that day, my elder sister and I took turns playing 'The New Zealand' story, another classic platformer, yet devilishly hard for a small child.

I have other memories playing with the Workbench 1.3 'Say' speech program, and of course Deluxe Paint II - I would gaze for hours at a black and white TV, fascinated by the symmetry tool.

The first game I actually purchased however, was not for a little while later - 'Advanced Ski Simulator', a budget release by Codemasters for 4.99GBP.  Great title screen music and scrolling text, even if the game itself was far too difficult to be enjoyable.

Ah, happy days!
Take care,
James
x

ps.  I'm just thinking about these early games and how we managed to play them - I do not believe a joystick was included with the Batman pack, which rather begs the question how consumers would control the characters.  At some point a friend of my fathers loaned him an old C64 joystick, and told him of the JAMMMMMM cheat for Batman.  Goodness, this is truly nostalgic!

Offline zipper

« Reply #40 on: November 12, 2006, 08:45:39 AM »
Ports of Call + Where in the World is Carmen Sandiego; A500 Amiga School pack in ยด91.

Offline Kronos

• Resident blue troll
    • Show only replies by Kronos
    • http://www.SteamDraw.de
« Reply #41 on: November 12, 2006, 09:36:22 AM »
Rick Dangerous  :-D
1. Make an announcment.
2. Wait a while.
3. Check if it can actually be done.
4. Wait for someone else to do it.
5. Start working on it while giving out hillarious progress-reports.
6. Deny that you have ever announced it
7. Blame someone else

Offline Speelgoedmannetje

• Show only replies by Speelgoedmannetje
« Reply #42 on: November 12, 2006, 11:58:27 AM »
Hm, it must have been either Buggy Boy, or Xenon 2, or Lotus (2). Twas not my A500 though. (never had one 'till 1997)
Graphics didn't blew me away, we had a 386 at home with vga (1988) though lots of pc games had ugly cga gfx, but all the a500 versions had neat 'vga' gfx. The thing that blew me away was the sound (especially of Xenon 2).
And the canary said: \'chirp\'

Offline Homer

• Show only replies by Homer
    • http://www.graingerweb.net
« Reply #43 on: November 12, 2006, 12:33:04 PM »
Cripes, I've had a few too many :pint: since then, but I guess it was Hybris on my A1000. I should never have sold that :-(
Let X = X
{(c) Laurie Anderson}

Offline Vlabguy1

• Show only replies by Vlabguy1
« Reply #44 from previous page: November 12, 2006, 01:00:23 PM »
AmigaDave

Good Luckwith the back and getting your 3000T.  Oh and I've been to BigBear Lake before..I love it up there..!!! I didnt like LA so much.  I could live in BigBear
for sure.

Take care.
Rich
from NY

Oh the first game I played was BattleChess..really cool!!