Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: I want to make a game for the classic Amiga.  (Read 3486 times)

Description:

Offline NovaCoder

Re: I want to make a game for the classic Amiga.
« Reply #29 from previous page: January 01, 2013, 09:55:03 PM »
I'm already a bit busy, see my sig.
Life begins at 100 MIPS!

Nice Ports on AmiNet!

Offline Methuselas

• Show only replies by Methuselas
« Reply #30 on: January 01, 2013, 10:30:58 PM »
Quote from: blanning;719584
If it were me, I'd do (essentially) a new bard's tale, but made for AGA and the 68030, with a complete new story and larger world.

I really liked Hybris also though.

If you want that, you may as well start porting BTBuilder, since the engine is pretty much done, but it's still using the BTCS and that was only for the PC/Amiga. I'm still procrastinating on doing animations, cos we don't have an editor, but the coder is working on it.

Here's a link:

http://www.identicalsoftware.com/btbuilder/
\'Using no way as way. Having no limitation as limitation.\' - Bruce Lee

\'No, sorry. I don\'t get my tits out. They\'re not actually real, you know? Just two halves of a grapefruit...\' - Miki Berenyi

\'Evil will always triumph because good is dumb.\' - Dark Helmet :roflmao:

\'And for future reference, it might be polite to ask someone if you can  quote them in your signature, rather than just citing them to make a  sales pitch.\' - Karlos. :rtf

Offline slaapliedje

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by slaapliedje
« Reply #31 on: January 01, 2013, 11:53:11 PM »
Quote from: NovaCoder;720938
I'm already a bit busy, see my sig.

In Progress: DosBox AGA, Descent DXX-Rebirth AGA, AmiQuake 2 AGA

What, you don't want to add just one more.....  :D

That's awesome, looking forward to seeing DosBoxAGA especially.

Unfortunately at some point in time I need to find an accelerator for my Amiga.  Something tells me that things like Quake won't run all that well on a stock 040.

As far as making an RPG goes, these are all awesome ideas.  I'd like to see some sort of engine for making games similar to Ultima 6, I still think it has the best combat system out there, as far as top down RPGs go.  And I really miss those types of games.  They just don't make that many of them anymore.

Legends of Grimrock has seemed to cover the Dungeon Master style games recently, I highly recommend it for those with a Linux/Mac/Windows computer.

slaapliedje
A4000D: Mediator 4000Di; Voodoo 3, ZorRAM 128MB, 10/100mb Ethernet, Spider 2. Cyberstorm PPC 060/50 604e/420.

Offline AmigaClassicRuleTopic starter

• Show only replies by AmigaClassicRule
« Reply #32 on: January 02, 2013, 02:11:07 AM »
Quote from: slaapliedje;720946
What, you don't want to add just one more.....  :D

That's awesome, looking forward to seeing DosBoxAGA especially.

Unfortunately at some point in time I need to find an accelerator for my Amiga.  Something tells me that things like Quake won't run all that well on a stock 040.

As far as making an RPG goes, these are all awesome ideas.  I'd like to see some sort of engine for making games similar to Ultima 6, I still think it has the best combat system out there, as far as top down RPGs go.  And I really miss those types of games.  They just don't make that many of them anymore.

Legends of Grimrock has seemed to cover the Dungeon Master style games recently, I highly recommend it for those with a Linux/Mac/Windows computer.

slaapliedje

Don't you get it? If he gets dosBox AGA working 100% with 20 fps speed on an AGA Amiga 060 (which I find that to be the biggest feat I have seeing on computer world) there will be no need to port Ultima 7 or any of that. All you need is dosBox itself to play Ultima 7 on your Amiga. Since Ultima 7 is really a DOS game.

Offline slaapliedje

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #33 on: January 02, 2013, 04:42:36 AM »
Quote from: AmigaClassicRule;720957
Don't you get it? If he gets dosBox AGA working 100% with 20 fps speed on an AGA Amiga 060 (which I find that to be the biggest feat I have seeing on computer world) there will be no need to port Ultima 7 or any of that. All you need is dosBox itself to play Ultima 7 on your Amiga. Since Ultima 7 is really a DOS game.

Actually the reason why Exult was created in the first place is because Ultima 7, even back in the DOS days, was a royal pain to get to work (I know, I bought it when it first came out, since I've always been a huge Ultima fan).

It has a weird custom extended memory manager.  This was why Exult was such an awesome project.  

While we're on the subjects of ports.  One game I would love to see ported to the Amiga would be Phantasie 2.  1 and 3 came out for the Amiga, but it seems the only two platforms that all three were released for was the Atari 8-bit and the Atari ST.  And the Atari ST versions are pretty ugly.  I almost prefer the mostly non-colored 8bit version.  I have no idea how anyone would track down source for it though.

But yes, DOSBoxAgA would/will be awesome.  I would still need to get an 060 for my A4000D, which aren't exactly easy to come by without just being able to say "well, I could get that... or I could buy a brand new system and just emulate an 060.... but I really don't like the emulation side of things, which is why I bought an A4000D in the first place..
A4000D: Mediator 4000Di; Voodoo 3, ZorRAM 128MB, 10/100mb Ethernet, Spider 2. Cyberstorm PPC 060/50 604e/420.

Offline NovaCoder

« Reply #34 on: January 02, 2013, 04:50:03 AM »
Yep that is the idea, why port one game to AGA when you can port many, it's the same as with ScummVM really.

Progress has been made with the 68k core for DosBox BTW
Life begins at 100 MIPS!

Nice Ports on AmiNet!

Offline slaapliedje

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #35 on: January 02, 2013, 05:13:25 AM »
Quote from: NovaCoder;720970
Yep that is the idea, why port one game to AGA when you can port many, it's the same as with ScummVM really.

Agreed.  Same reason why emulators are so popular.  

That's awesome that the 68k Core for DosBox has progress on it.  That would be the biggest hurdle I would think.  Since you'd have to emulate x86 instructions for it to work.  DosBox isn't normally considered an 'emulator' in the same way that Wine isn't, because it's not normally emulating any hardware.  In this particular case though, it certainly will.

I don't suppose Daggerfall would be one you'd be wanting to test it on?  :D  It's a free download.

Edit: It does look like someone has managed to get Ultima 7 working  properly under DosBox.  I remember the last time I looked it up (years  and years ago) that they hadn't managed to get it to work because of the  crappy memory manager, but here it is; http://bootstrike.com/Ultima/Online/u7dosbox.php

Exult would still be nice in that you can make your own custom games with it, which is why it was brought up in this thread.

I tried it on DosBox on my Nokia N900 and.. the results weren't all that great, but I don't think it really translates that well to ARM, I don't think they did any fancy processor cores for it.

slaapliedje
« Last Edit: January 02, 2013, 05:18:11 AM by slaapliedje »

« Reply #36 on: January 02, 2013, 05:20:39 AM »
Quote from: NovaCoder;720970

I am curious...what is the progress with the speed? Is it working?

Offline NovaCoder

« Reply #37 on: January 02, 2013, 06:31:09 AM »
A core has been developed, I just need to find the time to integrate it.  Then I will have to start testing it.
Life begins at 100 MIPS!

Nice Ports on AmiNet!

« Reply #38 on: January 02, 2013, 06:42:07 AM »
Quote from: NovaCoder;720981
A core has been developed, I just need to find the time to integrate it.  Then I will have to start testing it.

It is because of people like NovaCoder that makes me fall in love with my Amiga 1200 EVEN more and make find that the system HAVE SO MUCH VALUE and it is STILL super useful AND YOU CAN do everything in it like a normal PC would...without constantly getting new hardware every year!! It also shows that AGA dominates over OCS/ECS big time :D:D:D:D:D

I want to thank you NovaCoder for everything.

Right now I cannot bring into the Amiga community as much as NovaCoder did, the least I can do is bring movies and tv shows into classic Amiga. I am going to work on the fourth episode of ren and stimpy!!

NovaCoder you are the best!!

Hopefully I will bring out three Amiga classic games in the future!