Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Amiga SDK Compatibility  (Read 2893 times)

Description:

Offline VegenadTopic starter

• Show only replies by Vegenad
Amiga SDK Compatibility
« on: April 04, 2010, 01:55:00 PM »
Hi Everyone,

I have a quick question about the Amiga SDK's if I may.

Are the SDK's for the various operating system versions compatible with one another? By this I mean if you write code for Amiga OS 1.x, will this still compile and operate correctly for Amiga OS 4.x?

For example, if I were to write a simple application using the intuition libraries for OS 1.x and then attempted to compile this for OS 4.x would it work correctly?

Hopefully it's clear what I'm talking about.

Cheers :),

Danny

Offline Thomas

Re: Amiga SDK Compatibility
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2010, 03:04:11 PM »
If you use the OS 3.9 SDK to compile an application which uses only functions contained in OS 1.3, then it will run on anything from 1.3 to 4.1 and MorphOS.

I am not sure if the 1.3 SDK is compatible with 4.0+.

Note that to compile a program to run on OS 1.3, you need a compiler which has a 1.3-compatible link library. Dice C has such, for example. Code compiled with VBCC does not run on OS 1.3.

For example, if I were to write a simple application using the intuition libraries for OS 1.x and then attempted to compile this for OS 4.x would it work correctly?

You shouldn't do this. Coding style has changed between 1.3 and 2.0 and again in 3.0 and 3.5. You should not use 1.3 style when writing native programs for OS 4. Although it should work.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2010, 03:07:11 PM by Thomas »

Offline itix

• Show only replies by itix
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2010, 03:23:27 PM »
There is no "1.3 SDK", there are only bunch of assembler (#?.i) and C (#?.h) header files distributed along few tools by Commodore. They are still usable but not without work: you must generate macros/stubs for library calls. But there os mno point on using old header files anymore. NDK 3.9 is available for free so better use it.
My Amigas: A500, Mac Mini and PowerBook

Offline VegenadTopic starter

• Show only replies by Vegenad
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2010, 01:50:59 AM »
Ah ha, thanks for that guys. It's a lot clearer now :).

Cheers,

Danny

Offline matthey

• Show only replies by matthey
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2010, 02:17:45 AM »
Quote from: Thomas;551294

Note that to compile a program to run on OS 1.3, you need a compiler which has a 1.3-compatible link library. Dice C has such, for example. Code compiled with VBCC does not run on OS 1.3.

It does now :)...

http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=51401