Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Amithlon probs  (Read 2069 times)

Description:

Offline BlombergTopic starter

• Show only replies by Blomberg
Amithlon probs
« on: November 30, 2002, 12:24:05 AM »
I just finished installing patches, new kernel and Boing bag 2 on my Amithlon system along with some small additions like Magicmenu and ... no that's it, I think  :-D

Now I can't reboot my 'Amiga*!!!!
Neither alt+amiga+amiga nor F12+R/C works anymore.
Now, I don't really know where in the installation process it stopped working, because I did it all in one go.
I've checked my patches dir for 'doubles' and generally ploughed through manuals, readme's and FAQ's but I haven't come up with anything yet  :-?

Anyone had similar problems (and sorted them out)?

Another thing, I keep getting an error message from PlayCD when ... trying to play a CD  :-D
It says something like no CD-rom drive could be found and to 'use the options DOSDEV or DEVICE and UNIT' to sort it out.
Where do I find those?

Offline bhoggett

• Show only replies by bhoggett
    • http://www.midnightmu.com
Re: Amithlon probs
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2002, 12:41:57 AM »

Blomberg wrote:
I just finished installing patches, new kernel and Boing bag 2 on my Amithlon system along with some small additions like Magicmenu and ... no that's it, I think  :-D

Now I can't reboot my 'Amiga*!!!!
Neither alt+amiga+amiga nor F12+R/C works anymore.
Now, I don't really know where in the installation process it stopped working, because I did it all in one go.
I've checked my patches dir for 'doubles' and generally ploughed through manuals, readme's and FAQ's but I haven't come up with anything yet  :-?

Anyone had similar problems (and sorted them out)?

Another thing, I keep getting an error message from PlayCD when ... trying to play a CD  :-D
It says something like no CD-rom drive could be found and to 'use the options DOSDEV or DEVICE and UNIT' to sort it out.
Where do I find those?

At what point do things stop working? I mean, you say the Amiga won't boot any more, but does it go through the emulation startup stages?

Might be worth posting the question to the mailing list as well.

About PlayCD.  The CDs on Amithlon appear under cdrom.device, and will be allocated from unit 0 upwards.  You will be able to tell which is which with the HDToolBox, when you get it to boot again  ;-)

You have tried to catch the early startup menu, right?
Bill Hoggett

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2002, 02:08:47 AM »
At what point do things stop working? I mean, you say the Amiga won't boot any more, but does it go through the emulation startup stages?

Oh yes, it boots up fine. Both Amithlon and AmigaOS.
It's only the 'REbooting' (or resetting, if you will) of AmigaOS I'm having trouble with, you know the alt+A+A thing (and F12+C/R).
I can boot into and use AmigaOS as usual, but when I press alt+A+A nothing happens.
Oh yes, I had a rather bad hang with Action on one of the sample AVI's, donno if there's a connection there?!

About PlayCD. The CDs on Amithlon appear under cdrom.device, and will be allocated from unit 0 upwards. You will be able to tell which is which with the HDToolBox, when you get it to boot again

I checked cdrom.device in HD-toolbox and my drives were both there, but how to I tell PlayCD that?
Every time I start the program it exits with the mentioned error message, does it have an external prefs or settings editor or something?

Offline elendil

• Show only replies by elendil
    • http://www.idiot.fnuck.dk
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2002, 02:55:24 AM »
Without using it myself, I would guess it to be tooltypes you need to set (or arguments you need to give if starting it from a shell).

mark the playcd icon and find the show info in the icon menu (I think. At a pc (buuuh) and using help as a shortcut for it here, so have not really used it in a while). Then the arguments/tooltypes should appear and you just need to change the values.

That is, if I understood you correctly (and you understood me correctly.

Sincerely,

-Kenneth Straarup.

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2002, 03:24:02 AM »
@ Myself

:whack:    :smack:    :python:
Oh my god, I'm so embarrassed!!
I just spent an hour trying to boot different kernels and OS installs.
And then it hit me:  :idea:

IT'S NOT alt+A+A - IT'S ctrl+A+A

How could I be so stupid!!! (Don't answer that)
I comfort myself with the fact that none of the 46 people who read this thread noticed my mistake either.
Guess that's a lesson for me: Don't mess around with this sort of thing in the wee hours of the night (morning, rather).

Also, as it turns out, it's not the F12 button but rather the 'Print Screen' button that should be used together with R or C (for soft and hard resets).
I guess that's a mistake in the manual or maybe my keyboard is just weird.

@ Elendil

That sounds like a good point there, I will check it out ... tomorrow. I think it's better to do it with a clear head, so I don't waste a lot of time again or mess something up  :-D
Tak skal du have

Offline HotRod

• Show only replies by HotRod
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2002, 03:25:37 AM »
Well... actually it's CTRL+A+A.

Regarding PlayCD what's allready sated is correct. Mark it,
Press A+i or choose info from the icons-menu.
Change the tooltype DEVICE to DEVICE=cdrom.device and
change the UNIT tooltype to UNIT=
ie the number of your device as found in HDToolBox.

Offline HotRod

• Show only replies by HotRod
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2002, 03:27:58 AM »
We must have wrote the messages at the same time :-) .
I did notice the error but I wasn't sure if it was a
typo or if you actually did press those buttons ;-) .

Anyway... good to have it working, huh? :-)

« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2002, 03:30:38 AM »
Oh yes, definately good to have it working ... but then again - it did all along  :oops:

Guess I've spent too much time away from the Amiga ... yes, I *did* press those buttons  :whack:

And I forgot all about tool types  :-D

Offline Damion

« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2002, 03:41:26 AM »
That's OK, I spent three hours once trying to
figure out why my CD drive wouldn't recognize
anything...I was getting ready to throw my
amiga out of the window, until I realized that
the drive wasn't hooked up.  :-D

« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2002, 03:16:46 PM »

HotRod wrote:
Change the tooltype DEVICE to DEVICE=cdrom.device and change the UNIT tooltype to UNIT= ie the number of your device as found in HDToolBox.

Hmm, I did this exactly as stated (assuming that unit=adr in HDtoolbox) but it didn't work. I also tried using amithlon.device and the corresponding unit but nothing there either.
Could it have anything to do with the fact that the drive is actually a DVD-rom?
Because I also tried with my CD-RW but that didn't work either (but the fact that it had no name in HDToolbox, led me to think that it might not).

Offline bhoggett

• Show only replies by bhoggett
    • http://www.midnightmu.com
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2002, 03:42:56 PM »

Blomberg wrote:

Hmm, I did this exactly as stated (assuming that unit=adr in HDtoolbox) but it didn't work. I also tried using amithlon.device and the corresponding unit but nothing there either.
Could it have anything to do with the fact that the drive is actually a DVD-rom?
Because I also tried with my CD-RW but that didn't work either (but the fact that it had no name in HDToolbox, led me to think that it might not).

Not to my knowledge. I also find it strange that your CD-RW is not recognised at all, unless it sits on an unsupported SCSI card.

When you say it doesn't work, do you mean you still get the same error as before?

NOTE: If you're just not hearing sound, that's a different issue altogether. You need to run the AC97mixer to enable the audio pass-thru for the audio card.
Bill Hoggett

Offline elendil

• Show only replies by elendil
    • http://www.idiot.fnuck.dk
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2002, 09:10:22 PM »
That's OK, I spent three hours once trying to
figure out why my CD drive wouldn't recognize
anything...I was getting ready to throw my
amiga out of the window, until I realized that
the drive wasn't hooked up.

That is so precious :)

I have done that more times than I can count with just about every electronical device available. You would think that I would get smarter, but no - I defy even the experts :)

Sincerely,

-Kenneth Straarup.

« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2002, 09:19:50 PM »
I also find it strange that your CD-RW is not recognised at all, unless it sits on an unsupported SCSI card.

No SCSI here, just plain old IDE. But the CD-RW drive *is* there (in HDToolbox), there's just no name or version for it. And I can read data CD's fine from both drives.

When you say it doesn't work, do you mean you still get the same error as before?

Yes, nothing changes.

NOTE: If you're just not hearing sound, that's a different issue altogether. You need to run the AC97mixer to enable the audio pass-thru for the audio card.

I do have sound with AMPlifier, although there is the occasional 'hickup' when playing MP3's.