Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: OS X 10.3 on eMac stuck at 640x480  (Read 1613 times)

Description:

Offline XDelusionTopic starter

• Alien Breeder
    • Show only replies by XDelusion
    • http://starwarslegacy.net/
OS X 10.3 on eMac stuck at 640x480
« on: January 20, 2011, 03:53:23 AM »
First off, I will have you know that my eMac's DVD rom will not read my DVD based copy of OS X 10.4 so I'm stuck installing off a 10.3 CD set.

Now when I have everything installed, it says I'm stuck in the display move of 640x480 and need to change my system's settings to fix this, but when I go in, the only option I get is 648x480. How do i resolve this issue?

Also what is the highest version of OS X released that runs on PPC?

Thankx!
Earth has a lot of things other folks might want... like the whole planet. And maybe these folks would like a few changes made, like more carbon dioxide in the atmosphere and room for their way of life. - William S. Burroughs

Offline Matt_H

Re: OS X 10.3 on eMac stuck at 640x480
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2011, 04:03:02 AM »
10.5 is as high as you can go on PPC. There's a minimum clockspeed threshold, but I don't remember what it is.

On your video problem, maybe the machine shipped with 10.3.x and you're using a retail 10.3.0 CD set? So there might be some driver issues. See if you can find the last 10.3.x "Combo" update on Apple's site, which should have heaps of drivers in it. EDIT: Ah, here it is.

Not sure when they introduced the feature, but OSX can be installed over a network - maybe that will help for getting 10.4 onto the machine?
« Last Edit: January 20, 2011, 04:07:33 AM by Matt_H »

Offline Iggy

• Show only replies by Iggy
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2011, 04:11:09 AM »
Yep, sounds like a video driver (or the lack of one) issue. I had this problem once with a 10.4 install on a Powermac with a re-flashed 9200. I needed to load a driver from ATI to get it to work.

Are you sure your DVD's bad and not your 10.4 media?
"Not making any hard and fast rules means that the moderators can use their good judgment in moderation, and we think the results speak for themselves." - Amiga.org, terms of service

"You, got to stem the evil tide, and keep it on the the inside" - Rogers Waters

"God was never on your side" - Lemmy

Amiga! "Our appeal has become more selective"

• Alien Breeder
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2011, 12:54:41 AM »
Did apple ever release an update disc to take OS X 10.3 to 10.5?
Earth has a lot of things other folks might want... like the whole planet. And maybe these folks would like a few changes made, like more carbon dioxide in the atmosphere and room for their way of life. - William S. Burroughs

• Alien Breeder
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2011, 12:16:47 AM »
Installed drivers off AMD's site...

now everything is still in a small screen but in black and white, even after a reboot, reformat, and re-install. What the hell?! :/

Offline Matt_H

« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2011, 04:21:22 AM »
You might need to zap the PRAM or the SMC settings... can't remember what it's called. Check Apple's site. The eMac manual probably has the info, too (also chez Apple if you don't have it).

Did you try the 10.3.9 Combo update?

There are no "update discs" for OSX - just stand-alone OS discs and factory restore discs for specific models. So you should be able to pop 10.5 into your drive and it will update your system (shouldn't clobber anything, but back up to be safe)

• Alien Breeder
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2011, 07:32:08 AM »
PRAM... interesting.

I will give the tutorial I found on this subject a try, then if that does not work then I will just say screw it and leave this machine as a MorphOS only machine as I don't see why in the hell anyone would want to spend more than $20 bucks on an old outdated version of OS X anyhow. The prices on Ebay are blowing my mind!

At those prices, I might as well save up a bit more and just buy an intel Mac Mini as an additional machine.