Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: How to ship an Amiga 1200 SAFELY!?  (Read 1151 times)

Description:

Offline kd7otaTopic starter

• Show only replies by kd7ota
    • http://www.qrz.com
How to ship an Amiga 1200 SAFELY!?
« on: February 04, 2003, 08:54:17 PM »
Hello Amigans,
I just got tired of the PeeCee I have breaking down. I can swear I have redone it about 20 times loading it with new OSs. XP is just too new to run some of my programs and hardware right.  98 is awsome, but then has its problems on bringing up the "Blue Screen of Death" ME was not worth it, because it would screw up on me within the first week.  My brother wants to get a jump-start on his music, so I let him use my PeeCee and brought it to his house.  I now want to know how to safely ship an Amiga 1200 to me.  I live in Kansas, and my Amiga is in Nevada, so its about 1,500miles apart.  What would be better to wrap the A1200 in so minimal damage would occur?  Thanks.
-=-=-=-=-=-
Mine!  :-D

Offline Lando

• Show only replies by Lando
    • https://bartechtv.com
Re: How to ship an Amiga 1200 SAFELY!?
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2003, 09:09:14 PM »
Theres not really much can go wrong with an A12k since all the chips are soldered.  Take out any expansion cards and just put the A1200 in a nice big box (plenty of space) with some polystyrene chips or bubblewrap or scrunched up newspaper or other padding to fill up all the emty space in the box and it should be OK.  

Write "FRAGILE" on the box in big letters too.  They won't take a blind bit of notice but it'd probably make you feel better.

Offline spihunter

• Show only replies by spihunter
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2003, 09:32:27 PM »
Do Not write FRAGILE on the box!!!!!!

I knew a guy that worked for UPS. He said
when they saw" fragile" on a box, they would
kick it and throw it harder!

beware!

Offline jumpship

• Show only replies by jumpship
    • http://onlyamiga.kicks-ass.net
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2003, 09:42:22 PM »
Lots of packing is the best thing. get a big sized box andfill it 1/3rd full of newspaper, bubble wrap or what ever packing you have, then put in your Amiga then fill the rest.

If you have a tower, then either remove all the cards and put them in antistatic bags pad them and send them seperatly (to the Amiga not to the box it is in!) or put lots of padding in the inside of the machine. But remember if you choose the latter to remove all the wadding BEFORE you switch your machine back on! :lol:

Offline artman

• Show only replies by artman
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2003, 01:02:47 AM »
I used to own a photo studio, and would ship my camera's a such to the repair man for maintainence.  Always used double boxing, place the item in a box filled with packing material, then put that box in another with packing material.  Never had a camera suffer damage, shoud work for a Miggy too.

Offline Madgun68

• Show only replies by Madgun68
    • http://home.comcast.net/~madgun1968
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2003, 01:14:19 AM »
Lots of packing is the best thing. get a big sized box andfill it 1/3rd full of newspaper, bubble wrap or what ever packing you have, then put in your Amiga then fill the rest.

Paper is horrible for packing material unless you don't care about the contents of a package. After all, if you drop something on crumpled newspaper, how much resistance does it have? Very little.

I always use a combination of bubble-wrap and the styro stuff.

« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2003, 01:27:05 AM »
I'd be careful using bubble-wrap on the inside of a machine though...  The normal stuff holds a hell of a lot of static charge, and you could end up frying your chips.  As long as any cards are removed or immobilized, they should be fine.  Some people even use a bead of heat-set (glue-gun) glue where the card meets the port on the board.  This can be easily removed afterwards if needed.