Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: What is the best game like Elite on today's computers please?  (Read 3533 times)

Description:

Offline DrBombcrater

• Show only replies by DrBombcrater
Re: What is the best game like Elite on today's computers please?
« Reply #14 from previous page: May 19, 2007, 02:40:53 PM »
Well it has trading and combat, as does Elite. The engines are vastly different but I don't think the concept is radically different to Elite.

Elite is all about you vs the world. Eve is completely based on team play, and the bigger the team the better.

Apart from trading/manufacturing T1 items and lower classes of player vs computer missions, solo play in Eve is close to impossible.

Some of the bigger classes of ship (ie, dreadnoughts and carriers) can't even move to another solar system without help for another player.

Can you be more specific? I have been playing EON for several months and haven't noticed any "flaws". It can be a bit frustrating to start with when you don't have enough skill points or credits to join a corporation of other players, but this is an incentive to complete the single player missions to improve your character to a level where you can join a corp.

Like I said, the flaws don't become obvious until you've been playing for a while. It's at corp and alliance level that things are really borked, but some of the more obvious stuff:

- Lag. This is when the server can't cope and the game client stops responding. It's no fun at all when you are warping into combat in a ship you might have saved for months to buy, only for the game to lock up for 30 seconds when you get to the fight. When the game unlocks your ship is dead and you've no idea what happened.

Lag gets worse the more stuff is happening in the one place. In big fights its not unknown for lag to be so bad it takes 5 minutes to even activate a module on your ship. In really big fights (many hundreds of ships) the server node will often just give up and crash - this once happened to me 4 times during a large battle.

- Lack of documentation. CCP often provides little or no information on how things in Eve work. That can lead to a lot of expensive mistakes.

- Corruption. Employees of CCP, Eve's developer, have been found to be giving secret assistance to favoured groups of players.

This message is way too long already, but I'll go into more detail if you want. I've been playing Eve for 4 years now and I'm pretty much convinced the higher levels of the game are so broken that it is dying. The number of people playing supports that view. Until the end of 2006 that number kept rising, now it is slowly going down.

Offline Tripitaka

• Show only replies by Tripitaka
    • http://acidapple.com
« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2007, 04:11:39 PM »

DrBombcrater wrote:
Elite is all about you vs the world. Eve is completely based on team play, and the bigger the team the better.

LOL, what could be more about you v world than a MMORPG? Team play is part of life, if this element could have been portrayed in the original Elite I'm sure it would have been.

Apart from trading/manufacturing T1 items and lower classes of player vs computer missions, solo play in Eve is close to impossible.

So make some friends.

Some of the bigger classes of ship (ie, dreadnoughts and carriers) can't even move to another solar system without help for another player.

Horses for courses. Players can own many ships.

Like I said, the flaws don't become obvious until you've been playing for a while. It's at corp and alliance level that things are really borked, but some of the more obvious stuff:

- Lag. This is when the server can't cope and the game client stops responding. It's no fun at all when you are warping into combat in a ship you might have saved for months to buy, only for the game to lock up for 30 seconds when you get to the fight. When the game unlocks your ship is dead and you've no idea what happened.

Didn't you get insurance? If you feel you have been unfairly terminated there is a complaints procedure.

Lag gets worse the more stuff is happening in the one place. In big fights its not unknown for lag to be so bad it takes 5 minutes to even activate a module on your ship. In really big fights (many hundreds of ships) the server node will often just give up and crash - this once happened to me 4 times during a large battle.

I've never had lag this bad!

- Lack of documentation. CCP often provides little or no information on how things in Eve work. That can lead to a lot of expensive mistakes.

Jesus man why don't you just ask? Newbie forums are friendly enough. Anyway I thought you wanted "you versus the world", life does not come with a manual, learn from other players.

- Corruption. Employees of CCP, Eve's developer, have been found to be giving secret assistance to favoured groups of players.

Yup, that's happened I'm sure, probably happens in all MMO's.

This message is way too long already, but I'll go into more detail if you want. I've been playing Eve for 4 years now and I'm pretty much convinced the higher levels of the game are so broken that it is dying. The number of people playing supports that view. Until the end of 2006 that number kept rising, now it is slowly going down.

It kept you going for four years, It takes that long to find enough faults to put you off? Must have been gripped to pay for that long.
Falling into a dark and red rage.

Offline Tripitaka

• Show only replies by Tripitaka
    • http://acidapple.com
« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2007, 04:30:49 PM »

Nataline wrote:
Vega Strike

Looks interesting, I'm downloading it now.  :-D
Falling into a dark and red rage.