Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Amiga USB-C power... how hard can it be?  (Read 950 times)

Description:

Offline darksun9210Topic starter

Amiga USB-C power... how hard can it be?
« on: June 27, 2022, 04:05:06 PM »
Hey all,
just shooting the breeze a bit.
wondering what the possibility of a DC to DC power adapter would be for a USB-C power plug that goes into the ol' square DIN plug we all know and love.

i did some butchery a little while ago and was thinking someone with a smidge of talent might be able to come up with something a lot more tidy.

my original premise was to run an amiga off of a USB battery pack. the pack i have can push 60W @ a negotiated amount of volts out the USB-C hole using USB-C power delivery protocol.

so i had an Anker 737 battery pack, an amazon USB-C PD to 12V barrel plug adapter rated to 36W, a pico PSU breaking that 12V out into the requisite voltages to run an amiga. it worked, but it wasn't pretty. but i had a battery powered amiga, running into a nexdock as a battery powered screen.
given that USB-C PSU's can push a decent Wattage, could something that would feed an amiga be built for the Square DIN plug, and present a USB-C port on the outside as an input?

A500 Vampire2/minimegachip/lazarus/indyECS
A600 Vampire2/604n/subway/IndyECS
A1200 PiStorm32+Pi4/subway/IndyAGA
A3k C=040/CV64-3D/Xsurf100+RRoadUSB/Zoram256/acard scsi-ide-CF/IndyECS,
A4k CSMk3-060/CV64-3D/Xsurf100+RRoadUSB/Bigram256/IndyAGA, mediator+pci cards
CD32 TF360/IndyAGA
Plus an SGI O2 & consoles.

Offline BozzerBigD

Re: Amiga USB-C power... how hard can it be?
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2022, 06:48:44 PM »
 THEA500 Mini has a USB-C socket for power if that gets you moist?  :D It works out of the box with no modding.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2022, 06:49:16 PM by BozzerBigD »
"Art challenges technology. Technology inspires the art."

John Lasseter, Co-Founder of Pixar Animation Studios

Offline Vstech

• Show only replies by Vstech
Re: Amiga USB-C power... how hard can it be?
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2022, 04:11:18 PM »
Can you post pics of your build?

I work with a lot of converters and currently have my Amiga 1200 connected to a power bank, working fine, drawing minimal power.
I think it would be cool to setup a lithium ion usbC pack. The issue to me would be the need to put the power conversion stuff in the Amiga. Or are you contemplating making a power brick to output from usbC input?