Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: First person RPGs?  (Read 4695 times)

Description:

Offline Franko

• Show only replies by Franko
Re: First person RPGs?
« Reply #29 from previous page: December 13, 2010, 06:25:12 PM »
Quote from: ChaosLord;598415
Yer either hallucinatin' or the victim of some fakes. :)

Ultima I & II do exist (seek and ye shall find...) for the Amiga, a quick read of the docs explains that they were in fact  written and released as PD by someone who wished to complete the Ultima series on the Amiga, so therefore Ultima I & II for the Amiga do exist, even though they may not have been written by the same company who released the others... :)

It even mentions in the docs the fact that these were not written by the original developer and were written quite simply by someone who was an Ultima fan and wished to make available the complete Ultima series to Amiga fans. The creator of I & II even goes on to say "sue me" if the original creator of the Ultima series was not happy with them and as far as I recall, no-one was ever sued, so it seems everyone lived happily ever after...  the end. :)

Offline krize

• Show only replies by krize
    • Horrordelic Records
« Reply #30 on: December 13, 2010, 08:32:36 PM »
Eye of the beholder 1 + 2 . the new AGA versions ..
MacMiniG4 MOS 3.18 rulez ... For music check: Horrordelic Records - Dark Psychedelic Music Since 2011 -

Offline Franko

« Reply #31 on: December 13, 2010, 08:47:36 PM »
Quote from: krize;598491
Eye of the beholder 1 + 2 . the new AGA versions ..

What new AGA versions ??? :confused:

and where can I get me grubby mits on them... :)

Offline amigadave

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by amigadave
    • http://www.EfficientByDesign.org
« Reply #32 on: December 13, 2010, 08:53:52 PM »
Quote from: Franko;598492
What new AGA versions ??? :confused:

and where can I get me grubby mits on them... :)

There is a new member of the Amiga Programmer Support Group that has listed a clone of EOB as one of his projects.  I don't have any further information about this project, or even what the target platform(s) is/are, but I will encourage him to post more information about his project here in the forums when he is ready to do so.

Personally, I enjoy the turn based RPG games over the EOB & EOB-II style, but that is only because I am such a lame slow gamer.  :lol:
How are you helping the Amiga community? :)

Offline Franko

« Reply #33 on: December 13, 2010, 09:03:56 PM »
Quote from: amigadave;598494
There is a new member of the Amiga Programmer Support Group that has listed a clone of EOB as one of his projects.  I don't have any further information about this project, or even what the target platform(s) is/are, but I will encourage him to post more information about his project here in the forums when he is ready to do so.

Personally, I enjoy the turn based RPG games over the EOB & EOB-II style, but that is only because I am such a lame slow gamer.  :lol:

Interesting, I'd love to see a new version of EOB on the Amiga, spent many long hours playing the originals and thoroughly enjoyed them, if you get any more info on them please keep us posted... :)

Offline runequesterTopic starter

• It\'s Amiga time!
    • Show only replies by runequester
« Reply #34 on: December 14, 2010, 08:27:50 AM »
well, since I had previously messed around with Black Dawn and enjoyed them, I tossed myself into Black Dawn 2 and Legions of Dawn. Good stuff. Very "Hired Guns" feeling, and very creepy

Offline Selles

• Show only replies by Selles
« Reply #35 on: December 14, 2010, 02:03:01 PM »
Well, with over 12 million players around the world, including many famous people, World of Warcraft is THE first-person RPG to date.  Now, I can not even look at those old RPG games, because compared to WoW, they look dated and are boring to play.  The only other RPGs that I do play and really enjoy are Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance 1 and 2 and Fallout: Brotherhood of Steel on the XBOX.  I also enjoyed playing Champions of Norrath and Champions Return to Arms on the PS2.  With graphics like this I could never go back to playing any Amiga RPGs.

Why don't you Amiga programmers out there start making games like these for the Amiga?

Offline commodorejohn

• Show only replies by commodorejohn
    • http://www.commodorejohn.com
« Reply #36 on: December 14, 2010, 03:48:20 PM »
A. correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't WoW third-person?
B. subscription-based grind-fests tailored to promote obsessive playing with the minimum actual reward are not something the Amiga really needs, IMHO.
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73
Synthesizers: Roland JX-10/MT-32/D-10, Oberheim Matrix-6, Yamaha DX7/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini, Ensoniq Mirage/SQ-80, Sequential Circuits Prophet-600, Hohner String Performer

"\'Legacy code\' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling." - Bjarne Stroustrup

Offline runequesterTopic starter

• It\'s Amiga time!
    • Show only replies by runequester
« Reply #37 on: December 14, 2010, 04:20:47 PM »
Quote from: Selles;598608
Well, with over 12 million players around the world, including many famous people, World of Warcraft is THE first-person RPG to date.  Now, I can not even look at those old RPG games, because compared to WoW, they look dated and are boring to play.  The only other RPGs that I do play and really enjoy are Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance 1 and 2 and Fallout: Brotherhood of Steel on the XBOX.  I also enjoyed playing Champions of Norrath and Champions Return to Arms on the PS2.  With graphics like this I could never go back to playing any Amiga RPGs.

Why don't you Amiga programmers out there start making games like these for the Amiga?

Have fun with your games, and I'll have fun with mine.

What really is the point of your post ?

I am asking for something pretty specific. Why spend the time to post "I think that sucks, you should play something entirely different instead" other than trolling?

I don't get it.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2010, 04:24:50 PM by runequester »

Offline Selles

• Show only replies by Selles
« Reply #38 on: December 14, 2010, 07:44:16 PM »
WoW can be played in first person.  The home and end keys on the numeric keypad changes your view.

Not trolling.  I just do not understand why you guys still play those old, outdated RPGs.  I can understand still playing shoot'em ups or platform games, because those types of games are not made for the PC and they are really great on the Amiga.

Offline commodorejohn

« Reply #39 on: December 14, 2010, 08:16:39 PM »
I've never understood the mindset that newer, better games* make the older games they succeed less worth playing or otherwise obsolete. If it was good originally, it doesn't become less good just because someone made something better. I'm all for appreciating newer RPGs and all the stuff they bring to the table (run around a fantasy-land the size of the continental US? In gorgeous, video-card-straining 3D? Hell yeah, I'll take that!) But that doesn't (and shouldn't) make older stuff not fun anymore.

* Working with the assumption that "newer" = "better" where RPGs are concerned, which isn't always true, but may be here, I dunno.

Also, there are tons of shmups and platformers for the PC, going all the way back from the CGA days through the VGA gorgeousness of Jazz Jackrabbit to modern stuff like La-Mulana or the Touhou Project series. Maybe not as many as there were for the Amiga, but still plenty to choose from. And the newer stuff doesn't make the older stuff outdated there, either.

Anyway, that doesn't change the fact that the thread is specifically about recommendations for Amiga first-person RPGs on the Dungeon Master model, and it's rather baffling to come into the thread just to say that the games in question are outdated and people shouldn't bother with them.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2010, 08:19:33 PM by commodorejohn »
Synthesizers: Roland JX-10/MT-32/D-10, Oberheim Matrix-6, Yamaha DX7/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini, Ensoniq Mirage/SQ-80, Sequential Circuits Prophet-600, Hohner String Performer

"\'Legacy code\' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling." - Bjarne Stroustrup

Offline RMK305

• Show only replies by RMK305
« Reply #40 on: December 14, 2010, 09:16:47 PM »
Albion looked to be a promising game from Blue Byte, but the project got canned and was never released. I wonder how far the actually got with it.
Amiga 4000, Warp Engine 040/40MHz, CV643D with scan doubler module, Tocatta soundcard, Deneb, 72Meg fast ram, 18 gig scsi hard drive.

3xA500, 1xA1200, 1xCD32

Offline commodorejohn

« Reply #41 on: December 14, 2010, 09:27:35 PM »
Well, they did release it for DOS, but I have no idea what kind of progress they made on an Amiga version.

Offline rvo_nl

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by rvo_nl
« Reply #42 on: December 14, 2010, 09:29:20 PM »
Quote from: RMK305;598696
Albion looked to be a promising game from Blue Byte, but the project got canned and was never released. I wonder how far the actually got with it.

Im pretty sure this was the game BubbleBobble was mentioning.
Amiga 1200 (1d4) Kickstart 3.1 (40.68), Elbox Power/Winner tower (450w psu), BlizzardPPC 603e+ @240mhz & 060 @50mhz, 256MB, Bvision, IDE-fix Express, IndivisionAGA, 120GB IDE, cd, dvd, Cocolino, Micronik Keycase, PCMCIA Ethernet, Ratte monitor switcher, Prelude1200, triple boot WB3.1 / OS3.9 / OS4.1, Win95 / MacOS8.1

Offline Mugo

• Show only replies by Mugo
« Reply #43 on: December 14, 2010, 09:31:24 PM »
@RMK305

If you mean this game:

http://www.abandonia.com/en/games/428/Albion.html

then it seems completed, and is available as "abandonware".
Seems pretty good too!

@Thread

I was never much into RPGs, although i enjoy them. But I´ve ever been more of a point-and-click adventure kind of guy. Love them!

Games like Curse of Enchantia, Lure of the Temptress, Beneath a Steel Sky, The Clue!, Cruise for a Corpse, etc. Those where the times!!

I´m also a big fan of Darkmere, Cadaver, and other isometric adventures, and really liked to play EOB and Hired Guns.

Offline RMK305

• Show only replies by RMK305
« Reply #44 on: December 14, 2010, 09:45:31 PM »
Mugo,

Is that not only the DOS version?

I had only ever seen the screenshots shown on HOL.

http://hol.abime.net/5117/screenshot
Amiga 4000, Warp Engine 040/40MHz, CV643D with scan doubler module, Tocatta soundcard, Deneb, 72Meg fast ram, 18 gig scsi hard drive.

3xA500, 1xA1200, 1xCD32