Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Os 3.2 development preview  (Read 135372 times)

Description:

Offline psxphill

Re: Os 3.2 development preview
« Reply #254 on: October 29, 2019, 11:33:52 PM »
CD32 expansion boards typically come with A600/A1200 style "gayle" controller, and one can attach ATAPI CD drives there.

I think the "official" commodore debug boards require a custom kickstart because they don't work quite/at all like gayle, which is probably what the #if's are for & therefore probably a red herring.

AFAICT the SX1 & SX32 work with the standard a1200 scsi.device

Offline Gulliver

« Reply #255 on: October 30, 2019, 12:38:18 AM »
Curious if 3.2 will get a newly printed manual?  I know there were suggestions already possible of new kickstart ROMs, but I've already found in the 3.1/disks from someone off eBay that with 3.1.4 there are new things that really aren't covered in the manuals, so was wondering if we could get new printed manuals, that'd be pretty sweet and feel like a more worthy upgrade.

The 3.1.4.1 FAQ on Aminet covers everything new. Old stuff should be covered by the good old 3.1 manual except some specific topics.

I am writing the current AmigaOS 3.2 FAQ, which is the nearest thing to a manual. It currently covers more than 100 topics.

I could certainly write a book about 3.2, but it would unfortunately take me about six months. And I am not so sure there is a market for it, or even worth spending my time on it.

Offline kolla

« Reply #256 on: October 30, 2019, 11:38:03 AM »
AFAICT the SX1 & SX32 work with the standard a1200 scsi.device
Yes, I can confirm for SX32 Pro and TF328 (boards I have), and the same is also the case for TF330 and TF360, as well as Witcher-CD32 from what I know.
B5D6A1D019D5D45BCC56F4782AC220D8B3E2A6CC
---
A3000/060CSPPC+CVPPC/128MB + 256MB BigRAM/Deneb USB
A4000/CS060/Mediator4000Di/Voodoo5/128MB
A1200/Blz1260/IndyAGA/192MB
A1200/Blz1260/64MB
A1200/Blz1230III/32MB
A1200/ACA1221
A600/V600v2/Subway USB
A600/Apollo630/32MB
A600/A6095
CD32/SX32/32MB/Plipbox
CD32/TF328
A500/V500v2
A500/MTec520
CDTV
MiSTer, MiST, FleaFPGAs and original Minimig
Peg1, SAM440 and Mac minis with MorphOS

Offline slaapliedje

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by slaapliedje
« Reply #257 on: October 30, 2019, 10:41:00 PM »
Curious if 3.2 will get a newly printed manual?  I know there were suggestions already possible of new kickstart ROMs, but I've already found in the 3.1/disks from someone off eBay that with 3.1.4 there are new things that really aren't covered in the manuals, so was wondering if we could get new printed manuals, that'd be pretty sweet and feel like a more worthy upgrade.

The 3.1.4.1 FAQ on Aminet covers everything new. Old stuff should be covered by the good old 3.1 manual except some specific topics.

I am writing the current AmigaOS 3.2 FAQ, which is the nearest thing to a manual. It currently covers more than 100 topics.

I could certainly write a book about 3.2, but it would unfortunately take me about six months. And I am not so sure there is a market for it, or even worth spending my time on it.
I'd buy a copy, even of it were a digital version.  There are some things not in the 3.1 manual I already found that I was curious about, like when to choose Direct SCSI in HD toolbox?
A4000D: Mediator 4000Di; Voodoo 3, ZorRAM 128MB, 10/100mb Ethernet, Spider 2. Cyberstorm PPC 060/50 604e/420.

Offline TribbleSmasher

« Reply #258 on: November 03, 2019, 06:47:22 PM »
@Thomas Richter

Can you change the showconfig output to format the mem range to be aligned to the right, like, by adding 0s or spc before hex values? Would be nicer, i think. More like a proper table.

Offline my_pc_is_amiga

« Reply #259 on: November 16, 2019, 04:49:30 AM »
Also, would be nice to have the ED menu's shortcut keys formatted as right-justified.  With a non-proportional font, it is not aligned properly. 

guest11527

« Reply #260 on: November 16, 2019, 08:24:43 AM »
Also, would be nice to have the ED menu's shortcut keys formatted as right-justified.  With a non-proportional font, it is not aligned properly.
Ed uses gadtools to build its menus, and just injects its shortcuts into the regular menu text - which means that gadtools has no clue that a special formatting has to be applied to them. Of course, one could build the menu manually, and then position all the items manually, but is it really worth it?

Offline my_pc_is_amiga

« Reply #261 on: November 18, 2019, 05:29:11 AM »
When you say manually -- do you mean through the ed-startup?

Ed uses gadtools to build its menus, and just injects its shortcuts into the regular menu text - which means that gadtools has no clue that a special formatting has to be applied to them. Of course, one could build the menu manually, and then position all the items manually, but is it really worth it?

Offline my_pc_is_amiga

« Reply #262 on: November 18, 2019, 06:02:42 AM »
I was checking out Ed in 4.1 and when I use the "ESC" in caps in the "si" command for the menu item string it gets right-justified.  If I use "esc" instead in lower-case within the menu item string, it does not.  So looks like some additional parsing was added in Ed in 4.1 that is not there in Ed of 3.x.

When you say manually -- do you mean through the ed-startup?

guest11527

« Reply #263 on: November 18, 2019, 06:31:30 AM »
No, "manually" means: Creating intuition menus by hand rather than through gadtools. gadtools cannot align anything in its menus, and does not know what is meant as a short-cut and what is ordinary text. No, it's not worth it. There are better editors than ed out there anyhow.

Offline my_pc_is_amiga

« Reply #264 on: November 21, 2019, 04:23:43 AM »
Thanks -- yeah seems like a lot of work.  Perhaps this could be changed to use the "System Default Font" for the menu items which is a proportional font.   When I opened up the old Memacs on Workbench in a Workbench window, it seemed to used Topaz for the menu items and the menu bar used the "Screen Font"   

No, "manually" means: Creating intuition menus by hand rather than through gadtools. gadtools cannot align anything in its menus, and does not know what is meant as a short-cut and what is ordinary text. No, it's not worth it. There are better editors than ed out there anyhow.

guest11527

« Reply #265 on: November 22, 2019, 01:33:24 PM »
So, probably time to start with a series of posts describing the changes for 3.2. Exec is first.

There is not so much about exec, really. 3.1.4 brought one new bug into exec, namely the Alert AN_BadFreeAdr, which was triggered on a bad memory release, forgot to restore one register and hence caused another crash afterwards. This was fixed by SetPatch of 3.1.4.1, and now the fix was migrated into the code.

There is another series of fixes, though of old bugs. Alert() in general had a series of problems. First, it did not save all registers. Thus, in case ROMWack was entered later on, the register file was partially overwritten and thus made a post-mortem debug with ROMWack rather pointless. Also, ROMWack tried to detect the CPU type - by the same function exec uses during bootstrap. This sounds fine, but it is customary these days to move the vector base register out of the zero-page, and this is something the mentioned CPU-detection algorithm did not expect - it rather moved it back. Sometimes with fatal side effects. The code is now more careful in not touching VBR if it does not have to. The problem of the lost registers must have been introduced somewhere in the v37 series because the 1.2 kickstart did better.

Unfortunately, this is not sufficient to make ROMWack happy because there is another way how to enter it - namely through the dos.library "Alert" requester. ("Software error - task held..."). Unfortunately, this requester *also* overwrote the registers, and it neither saved the stackframe of the crash. The latter is, however, important to be able to debug a crash with the ROMWack. Thus, the dos.library exception vector - aka the error requester - was improved by saving all registers, and by also making a copy of the exception stack frame. If the user presses "cancel", the stack frame and the registers are restored, and the code enters the default exec error handler, which again points by default to the ROMWack.

Thus, ROMWack should have been become a lot more useful than before as it has access to the important registers and the stack frame causing the problem.
Or, use a debugger in first place...

There is much more to be said about the dos.library, but this is for a later episode.

Offline my_pc_is_amiga

« Reply #266 on: November 22, 2019, 04:34:58 PM »
Thus, in case ROMWack was entered later on, the register file was partially overwritten and thus made a post-mortem debug with ROMWack rather pointless.

Is ROMWack back in 3.1.4?   Based on this info: https://theamigamuseum.com/amiga-kickstart-workbench-os/guru-meditation/, it was removed in 3.0?

guest11527

« Reply #267 on: November 22, 2019, 04:58:36 PM »
Is ROMWack back in 3.1.4?   Based on this info: https://theamigamuseum.com/amiga-kickstart-workbench-os/guru-meditation/, it was removed in 3.0?

Yes, it is back. SAD was not really useful...

Offline kamelito

« Reply #268 on: November 22, 2019, 06:50:47 PM »
I guess there’s no room for Cop...

guest11527

« Reply #269 from previous page: November 22, 2019, 07:24:26 PM »
I guess there’s no room for Cop...
Not really, besides - it is not ROMable. I was considering to add something like a "miniCOP" at some point, but not for 3.2, no.