Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: GTA Vice City Review.  (Read 3631 times)

Description:

Offline Mike_AmigaTopic starter

• Show only replies by Mike_Amiga
    • http://www.mp3.com.au/forefinger
GTA Vice City Review.
« on: December 29, 2002, 07:41:18 PM »
I know this is not a Miggy game but, since the release of this game I couldn't wait to get my hands on it.

I got it for Christmas however and what can I say, Rockstar prepare for a bashing!

The cars handle worse than the first instalment (car models look worse), the accuracy of the weapons with sights was bad in the first game, now its worse.

They appear to have zoomed in on character models more to get the "BIG 80's effect" every other magazine babbles on about and this may be what can be held accountable for the accuracy problems.

The lighting is terrible and stops me from seeing where small walls are, which is quite important.

It crashes every so often (no pun intended), but then again so did the first instalment, all be it less frequently.

Avoid like the plague, this game is awful and sells on the strength of it's predecessor. :-x  :-x  :-x

My copy goes back tomorrow!
AKA ED-209 on IRC...

Offline Darrin

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by Darrin
Re: GTA Vice City Review.
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2002, 07:56:08 PM »
I'm not sure what worries me more... the fact that you think the game sucks because you can't see small walls or the fact that you were looking forward to playing a game where it's OK to kill cops...
A2000, A3000, 2 x A1200T, A1200, A4000Tower & Mediator, CD32, VIC-20, C64, C128, C128D, PET 8032, Minimig & ARM, C-One, FPGA Arcade... and AmigaOne X1000.

Offline AmigaACE

• Show only replies by AmigaACE
    • http://www.amiga-arena.de
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2002, 07:59:03 PM »
The best is the intro!

you see the  good old C64 and then

Load"vice city"

press play on tape

cool! ;-)

for me the game rules on psx2

not so easy but makes many fun and dont
forget to play PAYBACK on your AMIGA!
This game is ppor fun too! :-)))

It doesent matter where youre born or come from,
it matters where yourhead is at!

(Paul Stanly - KISS)

« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2002, 08:13:52 PM »
@Darrin,

you did note I have more than one problem with the game right? The lighting distorts things like walls which makes it dificult to play, for me at least. The last one didn't give me any such eye trouble at all.

Sure the C64 bits fun, but for me shortly after it gets annoying. I'd say I played it an estimated 20-30 times and I can't get used to it, so I'm getting Metal Gear Solid 2 instead.
AKA ED-209 on IRC...

Offline Darrin

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by Darrin
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2002, 08:22:33 PM »
you did note I have more than one problem with the game right? The lighting distorts things like walls which makes it dificult to play, for me at least

Plus those nasty cops can hide in the shadows I presume?  ;-)

I wonder how long it will be before we can play a game where you roam the halls of a highschool, shooting kids and teachers....  assuming of course that there isn't already one out there.

I know it's only a game, but still...
A2000, A3000, 2 x A1200T, A1200, A4000Tower & Mediator, CD32, VIC-20, C64, C128, C128D, PET 8032, Minimig & ARM, C-One, FPGA Arcade... and AmigaOne X1000.

Offline Tomas

• Show only replies by Tomas
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2002, 08:22:47 PM »
I like it, though the gfx aint the same as gta3 on pc atleast... I never tried gta3 on ps2 before so cant really compare the gfx. But the game itself i like better than gta3. One thing that annoyes about both, the gfx has this shadow thing?? Like afterimage or wth its called... Just me who have noticed that?

But as i said... all in all I think its a very great game. Would be awesome to get this on Aone/os4  :-D

Offline Tomas

« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2002, 08:25:55 PM »

Darrin wrote:
I wonder how long it will be before we can play a game where you roam the halls of a highschool, shooting kids and teachers....  assuming of course that there isn't already one out there.

I know it's only a game, but still...

Doubt that will happen here in Norway atleast.. Was a hel* to get vice city, cause most stores has been ordered to send it back cause of the violence....  :-x

Offline Paul_Gadd

• Show only replies by Paul_Gadd
    • http://elunatic.host.sk/start.html
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2002, 08:30:46 PM »
I found GTA3 and Vice City Demo (Windows versions) to be very enjoyable games and the quality of the texture is so smooth compared to the poor quality of the PS2 versions which seem to slow the machine right down when there is loads of explosions.

Offline Tomas

« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2002, 08:31:51 PM »
The pc version of vice city out allready? wasnt it supposed to be out in late feb/early march?

Offline Paul_Gadd

« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2002, 08:40:26 PM »
@Tomas

Sorry should have added Demo  :-P

« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2002, 09:09:03 PM »

Tomas wrote:
One thing that annoys about both, the gfx has this shadow thing?? Like afterimage or wth its called... Just me who have noticed that?

Hello, that's part of what I was talking about. And the lighting in the PS2 version makes it worse.

If they said all right we'll sort out those gripes of yours for everybody, have a massive recall and programme it properly and send everyone who brought it a proper version fine.

They obviously haven't heard the saying "if it ain't broke don't fix it", the choppers and planes are a nice addition.

Nice intro - Shame about the game.

PS: I have no trouble with the notion of shooting polygonal characters that look and act like policemen in a game, but don't condone the use of real fire arms in any way.

AKA ED-209 on IRC...

Offline Blomberg

• Show only replies by Blomberg
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2002, 09:16:13 PM »
One thing that annoyes about both, the gfx has this shadow thing?? Like afterimage or wth its called... Just me who have noticed that?

You can turn that off, at least in GTA3. Don't remember how, but it should be easy, 'cause even *I* could do it  :-D
On the PC version, that is (which one were you talking about?)

« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2002, 09:22:07 PM »
Yeah - the effect was called 'Trails', and looked crap, as well as slowing the fvramerate down a lot.

BTW - I've heard the GTA Vice city PC demo mentioned - does anyone know where I can get it on the Web?

Cheers

Offline Paul_Gadd

« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2002, 09:26:34 PM »
I got it from a warez newsgroup, Alt.binaires.warez a couple of days ago,

As for Trails that made the game look terrible, at least you can turn it off.

Offline Tomas

« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2002, 10:08:10 PM »

Blomberg wrote:
One thing that annoyes about both, the gfx has this shadow thing?? Like afterimage or wth its called... Just me who have noticed that?

You can turn that off, at least in GTA3. Don't remember how, but it should be easy, 'cause even *I* could do it  :-D
On the PC version, that is (which one were you talking about?)

both... but sadly only have vice city on ps2 though. So if anyone know a way of turning that off, let me know please.

But hmm why did they include this if its possible to turn off? All it does is making the game look uglier than it should be.