Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: OS for the X1000  (Read 9284 times)

Description:

Offline cgutjahr

• Show only replies by cgutjahr
Re: OS for the X1000
« Reply #44 on: August 05, 2011, 02:41:34 PM »
Quote from: Varthall;653200
Rogue has stated on Amigaworld.net that there will be a follow-up CPU after the PA-Semi one

Read it again - he's not stating anything, he's asking a question to shut somebody up. Doesn't mean anything.

My last information was that Trevor Dickinson himself doesn't have a clue what the next step - if any - wil be after the x1000. Perhaps Rogue simply didn't tell him yet ;)

They are not working on the port *instead* on working on the other, urgent features:

I could argue your points (USB real soon now? honestly?) or make a 2nd and 3rd list with severe shortcomings in OS4. But I won't, because I actually like the product and don't want to end up bashing it. You're using it yourself, I guess you have a pretty good idea about the most urgent problems.

Are you really claiming the OS4 team doesn't lack manpower? That it could easily compensate the loss of the dozen or so skilled and experienced developers who lost interest since the project was started and start porting the OS to a hardware that's going to sell (a lot) less copies than the classic version?

Offline jorkany

• Show only replies by jorkany
    • http://www.amigaos4.com
« Reply #45 on: August 05, 2011, 03:17:14 PM »
Quote from: Cammy;652956
Does this really need its own thread? At least Aeon and Hyperion are actually doing something to help the Amiga community

What have Aeon and Hyperion ever done for the Amiga community?

Oh wait, I see where you're going with this! Yes, I guess tearing the community apart qualifies as "doing something for it".

what are you doing other than hoarding computers that other people could be using?

I can't answer for someone else but I can say, this isn't a charity.

Offline Cammy

« Reply #46 on: August 05, 2011, 11:05:17 PM »
Certain individuals within Hyperion may have been detrimental to the Amiga community in the past, and I'm sure everyone regrets something, but right now both teams are trying to provide Amiga users with a product, and although it's taking more time than we'd like and it might not live up to some peoples (unrealistically high) expectations at least they are making progress and we've seen video proof that at least the X1000 boards are being assembled now.

We can't change what happened long ago during the big split, but it's only the people who believe in continuing to fight against the other sides who are hurting the Amiga community. Isn't it time to forgive the mistakes of the past and offer some support and encouragement to the few people who are still actually trying to create something for us to use? I don't see the point in these threads being started to attack a small group of developers who are doing their best to provide us with something they hope we'll enjoy using for fun, just as we do with our classic Amigas. They're not trying to create a product to rival Microsoft or Apple, and never claimed to be.

Why would a "real Amiga enthusiast" want to run Microsoft Word or Excel on an Amiga anyway? If you're so desperate to play something as complex as Call of Duty then you should probably just use a PC and stop holding your breath for a couple of guys with hardly any financial backing or support to come up with something similar for an Amiga system.
A1200 030@28Mhz/2MB+32MB/RTC/KS3.1/IDE-CF+4GB/4-Way Clockport Expander/IndivisionAGA/PCMCIA NIC
A1200 020@14Mhz/2MB+8MB/FPU/RTC/KS3.0/IDE-CF+2GB/S-Video
CD32 020@14Mhz/2MB+8MB/RTC/KS3.1/IDE-CF+4GB
A600 030@30Mhz/2MB+64MB/RTC/IDE-CF+4GB/Subway USB/S-Video/PCMCIA NIC/USB Numeric Keypad+Hub+Mouse+Control Pad
A500 000@7Mhz/512kB+512kB/ROM Switcher/KS3.1+1.3/S-Video

Get AmigaOS

Offline amigadave

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by amigadave
    • http://www.EfficientByDesign.org
« Reply #47 on: August 05, 2011, 11:34:21 PM »
Unless the X1000 and SAM460 boards inspire more development and additions to the Hyperion OS4 Team, I think the continuing development of OS4 is on shaky ground.

My choice of Next Gen AmigaOS, MorphOS, is not on much better ground and could cease to be developed at any time, if the MorphOS Development Team started to fall apart and lose interest.  I hope, and don't think that this is about to happen, but could happen in the not too distant future, if they decide that it is too much work and not worth the effort to finally move to a different architecture AND there is no reasonable new PPC hardware to port to in the near future. Edit: By near future, I mean the next few years.  The MorphOS Dev. Team has plenty of work to do on the existing ports of MorphOS2.x on G4 hardware and might decide to go forward with porting to the G5 PowerMacs and maybe the G5 iMac's too, so they have plenty of work to do for at least a couple of years before they start running out of improvements for the G4 & G5 and need to make a decision about which CPU to port to next, or if they want to stop development and do something different.  There is also a chance that a fast, new PPC CPU will be created within the next couple of years for the embedded market that is fast enough and cheap enough to make porting MorphOS to it a worthwhile effort.  End Edit:

Since this thread is supposed to be about the OS for the X1000, I wonder if the AROS Team will consider porting AROS to the X1000?  AROS has a higher probability to survive into the future than any of the other Next Gen choices, because it is Open Source and already runs on a wider range of hardware than any of the other choices.

It will be interesting to see what happens when one, or both of the current Amiga PPC OSes stops development, where the existing users will go.  Will they switch to the other remaining PPC alternative, or will they finally switch to AROS?  Or possibly they will give up on Next Gen Amiga OSes and revert to enjoying Classic AmigaOS3.x and earlier versions, just for fun and forget about using any kind of Amiga experience for anything except playing and writing code for 68k games, which they can enjoy on their modern PC's with WinUAE, or EUAE, or on their antique 68k Classic Amiga hardware if it is still running.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2011, 10:54:08 AM by amigadave »
How are you helping the Amiga community? :)

Offline ddniUK

• Show only replies by ddniUK
« Reply #48 on: August 05, 2011, 11:34:47 PM »
+1

Great post Cammy!
You're one in a million.
Now lets lock this thread and go home!

Offline commodorejohn

• Show only replies by commodorejohn
    • http://www.commodorejohn.com
« Reply #49 on: August 06, 2011, 12:03:29 AM »
Quote from: Cammy;653273
Why would a "real Amiga enthusiast" want to run Microsoft Word or Excel on an Amiga anyway? If you're so desperate to play something as complex as Call of Duty then you should probably just use a PC and stop holding your breath for a couple of guys with hardly any financial backing or support to come up with something similar for an Amiga system.
Quoted for truth. It seems like there's a lot of people in this community who suffer from such a massive inferiority complex that they've decided the Amiga should just be a PC. What's the point in that?
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73
Synthesizers: Roland JX-10/MT-32/D-10, Oberheim Matrix-6, Yamaha DX7/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini, Ensoniq Mirage/SQ-80, Sequential Circuits Prophet-600, Hohner String Performer

"\'Legacy code\' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling." - Bjarne Stroustrup

Offline nicholas

« Reply #50 on: August 06, 2011, 12:04:44 AM »
Quote from: commodorejohn;653285
Quoted for truth. It seems like there's a lot of people in this community who suffer from such a massive inferiority complex that they've decided the Amiga should just be a PC. What's the point in that?

AROS and Amithlon are both as much Amiga as they are PC. :)
“Een rezhim-i eshghalgar-i Quds bayad az sahneh-i ruzgar mahv shaved.” - Imam Ayatollah Sayyed  Ruhollah Khomeini

Offline commodorejohn

• Show only replies by commodorejohn
    • http://www.commodorejohn.com
« Reply #51 on: August 06, 2011, 12:21:03 AM »
Quote from: nicholas;653286
AROS and Amithlon are both as much Amiga as they are PC. :)
Well, I'm not referring to the cross-platform compatibility projects so much as I am these people who whine about not being able to use Excel or whatever on their Amiga. The logic seems to go:

• "I hate PCs and don't want to have to use them for anything,"
  • "I need to use Program X but don't want to do it on a PC,"
  • "Program X therefore needs to be available on the Amiga,"
  • "Nobody wants to port or clone Program X for the Amiga as it stands,"
  • "Therefore the only practical solution is to change the definition of 'Amiga' to be whatever environment is needed to run Program X without porting or cloning,"
  • "Now that I've redefined 'Amiga' to mean 'Intel PC,' I don't have to hate using one anymore!"

Guys, it's okay to use more than one platform. It doesn't make you a traitor to the cause.
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73
Synthesizers: Roland JX-10/MT-32/D-10, Oberheim Matrix-6, Yamaha DX7/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini, Ensoniq Mirage/SQ-80, Sequential Circuits Prophet-600, Hohner String Performer

"\'Legacy code\' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling." - Bjarne Stroustrup

Offline nicholas

« Reply #52 on: August 06, 2011, 12:22:33 AM »
Quote from: commodorejohn;653291
Well, I'm not referring to the cross-platform compatibility projects so much as I am these people who whine about not being able to use Excel or whatever on their Amiga. The logic seems to go:

• "I hate PCs and don't want to have to use them for anything,"
  • "I need to use Program X but don't want to do it on a PC,"
  • "Program X therefore needs to be available on the Amiga,"
  • "Nobody wants to port or clone Program X for the Amiga as it stands,"
  • "Therefore the only practical solution is to change the definition of 'Amiga' to be whatever environment is needed to run Program X without porting or cloning,"
  • "Now that I've redefined 'Amiga' to mean 'Intel PC,' I don't have to hate using one anymore!"

Guys, it's okay to use more than one platform. It doesn't make you a traitor to the cause.

+1 :)
“Een rezhim-i eshghalgar-i Quds bayad az sahneh-i ruzgar mahv shaved.” - Imam Ayatollah Sayyed  Ruhollah Khomeini

Offline dreamcast270mhz

• Show only replies by dreamcast270mhz
« Reply #53 on: August 06, 2011, 12:58:10 AM »
I use Amithlon, but I do dislike the fact it feels nothing like a classic amiga, I have since demoed a Micro A1, which I was impressed with, a Sam440, which, while neat was disappointing in responsiveness.

I Await the X1k, and I will consider buying one, If I seriously have the money. If not the Sam 460 looks like a cool option.
My machines:
PowerMac G4 MDD 1.5ghz 1.25GB 10.5.8 & MOS 2.7
Mac Mini C2D 10.6.8 2GHz 3GB 250GB HDD
MacBook Retina 16GB 256GB SSD 10.8
iPad 2
Underground Gamer invites (a classic game site) PM

Need a part for a PC or Mac? PM me, I\'ll let you know if I come across it.

OS X trumps Windows on every level.

MorphOS, OS4 and Classic Amiga systems are the only ones who are real \'Amigas\', not that joke AROS or Amiga Forever.

Offline Kesa

• Ninja Fruit Slasher
    • Show only replies by Kesa
« Reply #54 on: August 06, 2011, 01:52:00 AM »
Quote from: dreamcast270mhz;653294
I use Amithlon, but I do dislike the fact it feels nothing like a classic amiga, I have since demoed a Micro A1, which I was impressed with, a Sam440, which, while neat was disappointing in responsiveness.

I Await the X1k, and I will consider buying one, If I seriously have the money. If not the Sam 460 looks like a cool option.

:confused:
Even my cat doesn\'t like me.

Offline dreamcast270mhz

• Show only replies by dreamcast270mhz
« Reply #55 on: August 06, 2011, 02:15:15 AM »
X1000. K stands for kilo, or 1000, as in kilogram or kilometer :)
My machines:
PowerMac G4 MDD 1.5ghz 1.25GB 10.5.8 & MOS 2.7
Mac Mini C2D 10.6.8 2GHz 3GB 250GB HDD
MacBook Retina 16GB 256GB SSD 10.8
iPad 2
Underground Gamer invites (a classic game site) PM

Need a part for a PC or Mac? PM me, I\'ll let you know if I come across it.

OS X trumps Windows on every level.

MorphOS, OS4 and Classic Amiga systems are the only ones who are real \'Amigas\', not that joke AROS or Amiga Forever.

Offline Kesa

• Ninja Fruit Slasher
    • Show only replies by Kesa
« Reply #56 on: August 06, 2011, 04:15:23 AM »
Quote from: dreamcast270mhz;653298
X1000. K stands for kilo, or 1000, as in kilogram or kilometer :)

HAHA! i know! I was just wondering why X1000 is so hard to type  ;)
Even my cat doesn\'t like me.

Offline actung_bab

• Show only replies by actung_bab
« Reply #57 on: August 06, 2011, 08:23:48 AM »
Quote from: Cammy;652956
Does this really need its own thread? At least Aeon and Hyperion are actually doing something to help the Amiga community, what are you doing other than hoarding computers that other people could be using?
totally agree 110 %
its put up or shut up and alot them just greddy have money out bid drive the prices up
Acthung baby
http://telnet://midnight-blue.dyndns.org
Cnet 4.60 PRO bbs software
Amiga 1200 020 14 mhz mbz 1200 z pcmcia network card 4 meg ram 2 Gb scandisk cf
Amiga 2000 020
Amiga 4000 030 25 mhz broken
Amiga x 4 1200
x 6 Sony Ps 3 Orginal 60 gb 4  port usb 160 gb hd (os 4.1 ready :-)
what can i say i like thse machines
x 3 XBOX 360 1x xbox 360 slim
url=http://avatars.jurko.net][/

Offline BuzzfuzzTopic starter

• Show only replies by Buzzfuzz
« Reply #58 on: August 06, 2011, 08:27:24 AM »
Seriously, why are you defending them so hard ?

Like Amigadave said, it's all on shaky grounds, so what, just take a leap of faith ?

Quote from: Cammy;653273

Wishlist: A3500, A2500UX

Offline actung_bab

• Show only replies by actung_bab
« Reply #59 from previous page: August 06, 2011, 08:35:40 AM »
Quote from: Buzzfuzz;653094
I can and I know how to, I've been around for a while!

Just give me one good reason why I should spent around 1500 euro for a machine that runs OS4.2 or whatever it will be, if you can think of more than one, please, write it down here.
thats silly its up to you to deicde if you want to buy something
and as its not yet in production to buy its bit early to judge whats its real world appeal will be
Acthung baby
http://telnet://midnight-blue.dyndns.org
Cnet 4.60 PRO bbs software
Amiga 1200 020 14 mhz mbz 1200 z pcmcia network card 4 meg ram 2 Gb scandisk cf
Amiga 2000 020
Amiga 4000 030 25 mhz broken
Amiga x 4 1200
x 6 Sony Ps 3 Orginal 60 gb 4  port usb 160 gb hd (os 4.1 ready :-)
what can i say i like thse machines
x 3 XBOX 360 1x xbox 360 slim
url=http://avatars.jurko.net][/