Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: iSlate, watch and learn  (Read 6236 times)

Description:

Offline tone007

Re: iSlate, watch and learn
« Reply #29 from previous page: January 22, 2010, 05:08:43 PM »
I think if they price this thing down in the netbook price range, they could sell a bunch.  I can't see people paying laptop money for it, though.
3 Commodore file cabinets, 2 Commodore USB turntables, 1 AmigaWorld beer mug
Alienware M14x i7 laptop running AmigaForever

Offline TheGoose

• Show only replies by TheGoose
    • http://www.amiga.org/forums/blog.php?u=827
« Reply #30 on: January 22, 2010, 05:55:44 PM »
Read today it would be around 700 - 1000.00 and possible a monthly charge for the data connection to 3G networks (ATT and/or Verizon).
G1200, A3000D, A1200 PPC AOS4.0C

I\'m on Google +

Offline B00tDisk

• VIP / Donor - Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by B00tDisk
    • http://www.thedelversdungeon.com
« Reply #31 on: January 22, 2010, 06:21:26 PM »
Quote from: persia;538462
On 27/01/10 Apple is going to release the iSlate, a tablet Mac.  Microsoft introduced tablet PCs years ago and have gone absolutely nowhere with the technology.  Apple is about to kick MS arse with their own technology.  Watch how it's done, folks.  

Hyperion or A-Eon or whatever is the name of the week need to watch and learn.  You don't introduce a product and tell people "you figure out what to do with it...." you don't introduce a produce with no price and tell people wait six months to actually have it.  And you don't introduce features that 99.99999% of the world have absolutely no use for and yet cost lots of money.

I'll order one on the 27th, I'll know what they cost and I'll be playing with it before summer (in the southern hemisphere) is over...

Yes, let's all
watch
how apple does things.

I could list the innumerable lawsuits apple has levied against people who dare to speculate about their products prior to release, but honestly?  Why bother?  Fact is, this niche product will sell to the latte' drinking set at the Apple fashion boutique computer stores, soccer moms (who will have to replace it in droves due to coffee spills, etc. ad infinitum, which will "boost" sales figures as the units gather dust after 6 mo. of work).

If I - or anyone of concern - wanted a tablet computer running OSX, we could've had one any time in the last four years or so, by buying one of the multiple and less expensive tablet PCs and installing OSX for Intel on it, period.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2010, 06:23:47 PM by B00tDisk »
Back away from the EU-SSR!

Offline ToddH

« Reply #32 on: January 22, 2010, 07:54:10 PM »
I'm looking forward to whatever Apple has up their sleeve. Since switching to a Mac a few years ago I haven't looked back. And the iPhone is one of the most fun devices I've ever used. The only other computer that ever gave me this sense of enjoyment was the Amiga.

Offline MaDDuck

• Show only replies by MaDDuck
« Reply #33 on: January 22, 2010, 08:11:57 PM »
Is it just me or does sound more like an iNewton?

"Dance like no ones watching, love like you\'ve never been hurt, work like you dont need the money,and laugh like no ones listening!"
- Unknown

Offline tone007

« Reply #34 on: January 22, 2010, 08:12:45 PM »
iFingerprintcollector

Offline MaDDuck

• Show only replies by MaDDuck
« Reply #35 on: January 22, 2010, 08:30:42 PM »
ehhhh
Apple has been good to include cleaning clothes latly with iPod touch, monitors, and iPhones.

"Dance like no ones watching, love like you\'ve never been hurt, work like you dont need the money,and laugh like no ones listening!"
- Unknown

Offline dammy

• Show only replies by dammy
« Reply #36 on: January 22, 2010, 09:05:07 PM »
Quote from: Fanscale;538538
Needs balls. A trackball is a lot easier to use than a touchpad or touch interface.

I'll bet there is a USB port on it for a wireless trackball.
Dammy

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Arix-OS/414578091930728
Unless otherwise noted, I speak only for myself.

Offline adolescent

• Show only replies by adolescent
« Reply #37 on: January 22, 2010, 11:48:19 PM »
Quote from: persia;538618
The point is Apple will make a commercial success out of something that's been around for a decade and has been a failure in the commercial marketplace.

Yes, like the Macintosh.  Oh wait, even after 20+ years they only have a fraction of the home computer market that they invented.  :roflmao:

I'll be staying away until at least the second generation newer-better-faster version is released.  No need to spend good $$$ on anything Apple rev 1.
Time to move on.  Bye Amiga.org.  :(

Offline persiaTopic starter

• Show only replies by persia
« Reply #38 on: January 22, 2010, 11:51:44 PM »
Telstra here most likely, with Vodaphone and Optus later.  Wonder if you can buy it without a SIM card?

Quote from: TheGoose;539724
Read today it would be around 700 - 1000.00 and possible a monthly charge for the data connection to 3G networks (ATT and/or Verizon).
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

What we\'re witnessing is the sad, lonely crowing of that last, doomed cock.

Offline Trev

• Zero
    • Show only replies by Trev
« Reply #39 on: January 23, 2010, 12:02:26 AM »
Waiting for the day when I don't have to pay $30-$70 per device for a data connection. Pretty soon, my monthly phone bill will exceed all my other expenditures combined. EDIT: Barnes & Noble has the right idea. Apple should work out an App Store subsidy and profit sharing deal with telcos. Of course, that would totally shaft developers, who are currently free to set whatever price they want.

Offline tone007

« Reply #40 on: January 23, 2010, 12:11:11 AM »
Quote from: Trev;539784
Waiting for the day when I don't have to pay $30-$70 per device for a data connection.

That day was yesterday!

http://www.novatelwireless.com

MiFi is an easy one, then there's bluetooth tethering on tons of phones now, and some Windows Mobile phones can act as WiFi routers as well (with free addon software.)

Offline Trev

• Zero
« Reply #41 on: January 23, 2010, 12:15:17 AM »
That's all fine and dandy if all your devices support 802.11 and you keep the master device with you at all times, but what if your devices only support cell networks? The current regime is built on the one-device-per-person meme.

Offline tone007

« Reply #42 on: January 23, 2010, 12:16:55 AM »
..if your device only supports cellular networks, it's probably a phone.

I can't think of too many internet-type devices without either bluetooth or wifi.

Offline Tension

« Reply #43 on: January 23, 2010, 12:22:44 AM »
Quote from: spihunter;538589
Oh man....I just can't let this one go...

I should have known that Microsoft was behind those touch screens at the grocery store.

Unexpected item in bagging area

Offline Trev

• Zero
« Reply #44 on: January 23, 2010, 12:59:42 AM »
Quote from: tone007;539787
..if your device only supports cellular networks, it's probably a phone.

I can't think of too many internet-type devices without either bluetooth or wifi.

You missed the point. In my home, I have one landline and four handsets. I only pay for one landline, and I do not pay a per-handset fee.

I have one broadband connection and too many Ethernet and Wi-Fi devices to list. I only pay for one broadband connection, and I do not pay a per-connection fee.

I have two mobile plans and two mobile phones. I pay for each plan and phone individually. I should only have to pay for one plan. I'll concede an additional charge for additional phone numbers.

I think the same reasoning should apply to cable and satellite television providers as well, but consumers have blindly accepted that per-device fees are OK.

Ironically, the per-device fee is one of the many things that landed AT&T in front of the Department of Justice on antitrust charges in the 70's. "Adequate" competition exists in the mobile space, however, so it's unlikely to change--unless someone puts together conspiracy charges re: handsets, early termination fees, etc., since all providers do pretty much the same thing.

EDIT: And "it's probably a phone" is a bad assumption. There are many 3G data devices on the market that do not function as telephones.