Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Installed right angled adaptor, prism2.device stops working  (Read 1741 times)

Description:

Offline JuvUK

• Show only replies by JuvUK
    • http://www.bobhoughtonferrari.co.uk
Re: Installed right angled adaptor, prism2.device stops working
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2005, 10:43:23 AM »
hi
i'm using the same card as you and i cant get the thing to work at all! prepcard says the same as yours!!
  any chance of emailing me please?
 i have a few questions
   justin.vaughan@blueyonder.co.uk
thanks juv.U.K
Why does it always break?

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2005, 01:02:16 PM »

JuvUK wrote:
hi
i'm using the same card as you and i cant get the thing to work at all! prepcard says the same as yours!!
  any chance of emailing me please?
 i have a few questions
   justin.vaughan@blueyonder.co.uk
thanks juv.U.K

Dunno how I can help you really, as mine was working with the card straight into the socket, but now it isn't with the card fitted into the angled adaptor.  Very odd.

Offline Darklight

• Show only replies by Darklight
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2005, 01:37:54 PM »
I use a Netgear MA401 in my A1200.  Prism.device runs it perfectly when its plugged straight into the socket.  I don't know what the solution with the right angled adaptor is.  However, I can try and help.

Does the link light come on with the card inserted?
Have you tried booting the A1200 and then inserting the card ?(I believe the card reset problem with the A1200 requires you to do this unless you install a patch or mod the hardware)
Does the system recognise that the card is there at all?

I never used prepcard for mine, it just worked without it, so I can't help you there.  Hopefully it's something simple though.  :-)

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2005, 02:00:40 PM »
Does the link light come on with the card inserted?
Have you tried booting the A1200 and then inserting the card ?(I believe the card reset problem with the A1200 requires you to do this unless you install a patch or mod the hardware)

I have both CardReset and CardPatch installed in the Startup-Sequence.  I'll try hotplugging it while it's up and running though, as you never know.

Does the system recognise that the card is there at all?

Well, without using PrepCard I could think of anyother way of checking.  Prepcard shows that the card is inserted.

I never used prepcard for mine, it just worked without it, so I can't help you there. Hopefully it's something simple though.

As I say, I only used prepcard to seee if it detected a card, not to install/format it or anything! :-o

Offline Merc

• Show only replies by Merc
    • http://chebucto.ns.ca/~ah210/Profile.html
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2005, 03:06:20 PM »
Are you sure the right angle adaptor is plugged in all the way?  I had problems with mine until I realized it slides into place sort of in two "clicks" and I had only inserted it to the first position.  

It takes a little bit of force to get it in, but obviously you don't want to be too rough with it to prevent damaging the socket and/or motherboard  :-o

Offline Doobrey

• Show only replies by Doobrey
    • http://www.doobreynet.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2005, 03:26:25 PM »

JuvUK wrote:

That error message from prepcard is normal.. cos you can`t format a network card !

It`s possible that the PCMCIA port has had a pin damaged when pluggin in the adapter. Take it out, and double check no pins are bent, then push it back in hard (my adapter is a tight fit and it felt like I was gonna end up pushing it out the other side !)
On schedule, and suing

« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2005, 03:59:31 PM »

Doobrey wrote:

JuvUK wrote:

That error message from prepcard is normal.. cos you can`t format a network card !

It`s possible that the PCMCIA port has had a pin damaged when pluggin in the adapter. Take it out, and double check no pins are bent, then push it back in hard (my adapter is a tight fit and it felt like I was gonna end up pushing it out the other side !)

Thats what I thought, but surely Prepcard wouldn't display the name of the card "Netgear MA401" if the adaptor or the card weren't connected fully?

« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2005, 07:26:20 PM »
Right........

I unplugged the adaptor, checked for bent pins. There were non, so i blew to free anydust that might be the culprit.

I then put the adaptor back in, and put the netgear card back into the adaptor as far as it would go. Pushed again and heared a second click.  Ahhh, i thought.... that must have done the trick.

I reboot, query device in Miami to find it's mac address and get same error message again!  I type cardreset, and the link light flashes of then back on, try again with miami.  Nothing!!! :-?

The only thing left to try that i can think of is to strip everything out of the tower, and try the card plugged in on it's own without the adapter.  As it worked perfectly before i put the guts in a tower and added the adapter. :-(

Offline ncafferkey

• Show only replies by ncafferkey
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2005, 07:45:07 PM »

mdma wrote:

The only thing left to try that i can think of is to strip everything out of the tower, and try the card plugged in on it's own without the adapter.  As it worked perfectly before i put the guts in a tower and added the adapter. :-(

The other option would be to borrow or buy some other PCMCIA card that has an Amiga driver. I'm sure you could pick up a 28k modem very cheaply for example :-)

« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2005, 07:55:38 PM »

ncafferkey wrote:

mdma wrote:

The other option would be to borrow or buy some other PCMCIA card that has an Amiga driver. I'm sure you could pick up a 28k modem very cheaply for example :-)

Har har, very funny Neil.

It's this bloody right angled adapter thats caused all the hassle, as the netgear card worked fine with your prism2.device until i put it in the adapter.  :pissed:

Offline Doobrey

• Show only replies by Doobrey
    • http://www.doobreynet.co.uk
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2005, 10:32:27 PM »
 The only other thing I can think of right now is to get out a magnifying glass and check the adapter.
 Maybe a cold solder joint or a damaged trace ?

Seeing as there are no compontents on the adapter, it`s gotta be something simple (the kind of simple that always makes the air turn blue when you`ve found it  :pissed: )..I wouldn`t have thought the extra couple of inches on the traces would cause a problem..
On schedule, and suing

« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2005, 11:31:57 PM »

Doobrey wrote:
 The only other thing I can think of right now is to get out a magnifying glass and check the adapter.
 Maybe a cold solder joint or a damaged trace ?

Seeing as there are no compontents on the adapter, it`s gotta be something simple (the kind of simple that always makes the air turn blue when you`ve found it  :pissed: )..I wouldn`t have thought the extra couple of inches on the traces would cause a problem..

I've had a good look at it, and it looks like the solder at the end of one of the silver wires is touching the wire next to it.  I can't be 100% certain at the moment as I've not got a magnifying glass to hand. Could this be causing the problem?

Offline Homer

• Show only replies by Homer
    • http://www.graingerweb.net
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2005, 12:46:09 AM »
It certainly could. Time for a close look with magnification methinks. Hope thats not damaged anything else :-(
Let X = X
{(c) Laurie Anderson}

« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2005, 02:32:20 AM »

Homer wrote:
It certainly could. Time for a close look with magnification methinks. Hope thats not damaged anything else :-(

Well, i reinstalled everything from scratch and now when I have a Voodoo screenmode selected the icons disappear, i only get text, and the mouse pointer is a huge block of random pixels about 2 inches square.  Hope it's not related. :-(

-edit

It's fine with AGA modes though, but i am have installed PowerIcons and KensIcons. Gonna get the magnifying glass to it tommorow, and also wipe DH0: and not install powericons or kens icons until i've setup the voodoo.